Wild mushroom selection at Whole foods

  • lostculture
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24 6:58 PM
      Whole Foods Market at Wexford and in Pittsburgh are both doing a special promotion with seasonal mushrooms. Obviously not seasonal here so they are presumably from the west coast. They have Woodear, Hedgehog, Black Trumpet, Beech (cultivated), Yellow Foot Chanterelle, what they called white trumpet (king trumpet mushroom/king oyster mushroom also cultivated) and Hen of the Woods. They also have their standard selection of fresh and dried mushrooms in the normal place in the store.

      The wood ear were the cheapest at about $10 a pound but were very fresh so I brought some and made Chinese hot and sour soup, great for a cold winters day. Yes I know it is meant to be spring.

      The Black Trumpet were very expensive but a little goes a long way and they are also in pretty good condition. So if you have a hankering after some interesting mushrooms I suggest you stop by before they all dry up.

      Best regards
      Richard Jacob
      --
      Western Pennsylvania Mushroom Club
      Corresponding Secretary - 2013
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26 6:09 AM
        Thanks for the information, Richard.  I'll pass your message around the Club.

        Valerie Baker

        To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27 1:34 PM
          Some of what I have seen at Whole Foods in Maine is wild mushrooms from places like Romania and Serbia etc. They often look rough. I personally choose not to buy the foreign mushrooms.

          David Spahr

          To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27 1:38 PM
            May be a wise choice. The Chernobyl cloud was wide spread!

            Some of what I have seen at Whole Foods in Maine is wild mushrooms from places like Romania and Serbia etc. They often look rough. I personally choose not to buy the foreign mushrooms.

            David Spahr

            In a message dated 3/26/2013 9:12:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, vbbaker8@... writes:
            Thanks for the information, Richard.  I'll pass your message around the Club.

            Valerie Baker

            To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com From: richard@... Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 01:58:02 +0000 Subject: [wpamushroomclub] Wild mushroom selection at Whole foods
            Whole Foods Market at Wexford and in Pittsburgh are both doing a special promotion with seasonal mushrooms. Obviously not seasonal here so they are presumably from the west coast. They have Woodear, Hedgehog, Black Trumpet, Beech (cultivated), Yellow Foot Chanterelle, what they called white trumpet (king trumpet mushroom/king oyster mushroom also cultivated) and Hen of the Woods. They also have their standard selection of fresh and dried mushrooms in the normal place in the store. The wood ear were the cheapest at about $10 a pound but were very fresh so I brought some and made Chinese hot and sour soup, great for a cold winters day. Yes I know it is meant to be spring. The Black Trumpet were very expensive but a little goes a long way and they are also in pretty good condition. So if you have a hankering after some interesting mushrooms I suggest you stop by before they all dry up. Best regards Richard Jacob -- Western Pennsylvania Mushroom Club Corresponding Secretary - 2013mailto:cor_secretary%40wpamushroomclub.org http://www.wpamushroomclub.org/
          • lostculture
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27 3:09 PM
              These are all fresh and look to be in pretty good condition. Due to the species I would say that they are all from the pacific northwest or cultured somewhere in the states. Europe is having a late spring much like the north east states so there won't be any fresh mushrooms from there for a while.

              I bet many of the dried mushrooms come from eastern Europe though.