Re: Mushrooms from Succop Conservancy, Butler 8-29-12

  • debbiev
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
      Your brownish-red capped mushroom cluster looks to be Hypholoma sublateritium, the Brick Top. Wait for locals to confirm, tho...I am a western mushroomer, and we don't get this one out here.

      Debbie Viess

      --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "starkjandj" <starkj2@...> wrote:

      > I believe the one is a Birch Polypore.
      >
      > What is the other - Jack O'Lantern, or?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Judy Stark

    • Boletebill
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2012
        Judy.
        Birch polypore is right, Piptiporus betulina.
        Without seeing or knowing anything about the gills it's not possible to ID the others. It looks to me like Gymnopus acervatus, the Clustered Collybia.  It's probably too early for Brick Tops (but not impossible) but not knowing gill color is a problem.

        Bill Yule