Black Trumpets

  • John
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
      I was out looking at some new spots in Allegheny County over the
      weekend and i found a new trumpet spot. This is the second new
      trumpet spot that i found this year. The other is in Westmoreland
      county. I have also found some in Mercer County, near Gettysburg,
      and in the Poconos.
      John III
    • dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 13, 2003
        Hey John,
        I am also finding the heck out of Black Trumpets. I talked with Kim
        the other night and told her I would bring a bunch with me to PA.
        Looks like you don't need any, LOL. I put a picture of some I found
        in !.5 hrs. actually about 30 minutes picking,the rest of the time
        walking to the beech trees and that isn't even one of my good spots.
        I have all I can use till next year, but if you think you will need
        more for the foray I will keep collecting. You know I wouldn't mind
        working a bit, if it didn't cut into my mushrooming time LOL. It's
        odd, but I have my first Black Trumpet to find under Oak trees. All
        the Trumpets I find here in TN are associated with Beech trees.
        Thanks,
        Dave
      • dave
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13, 2003
            Hello Dave,

            That's great.... Most of my mushroom huntings years, Trumpets have
            not been in abundance... This is only the 2nd time we have found a
            decent bit of them. That is my mom & dad that you have been talking
            to. (morelbp@...) Yes, Wonderful picture!!!!!!!! We found them
            under Beech for the first time the other night.(14 0f them)We always
            find them under oak in moss.. Glad you are coming to MAMF. Looking
            forward to meeting you...

            Happy Hunting,
            John & Kim

            --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "dave" <Ozone10ec@a...> wrote:
            > Hey John,
            > I am also finding the heck out of Black Trumpets. I talked with
            Kim
            > the other night and told her I would bring a bunch with me to PA.
            > Looks like you don't need any, LOL. I put a picture of some I
            found
            > in !.5 hrs. actually about 30 minutes picking,the rest of the time
            > walking to the beech trees and that isn't even one of my good
            spots.
            > I have all I can use till next year, but if you think you will need
            > more for the foray I will keep collecting. You know I wouldn't
            mind
            > working a bit, if it didn't cut into my mushrooming time LOL. It's
            > odd, but I have my first Black Trumpet to find under Oak trees.
            All
            > the Trumpets I find here in TN are associated with Beech trees.
            > Thanks,
            > Dave
          • sable_bp
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 13, 2003
              Dave,

              Yes, we can still use the trumpets and anything else anyone could
              donate. Please contact us. In the past, the first couple of years
              our family had to provide all the mushrooms. It is tough getting
              enough mushrooms to feed 150+ people. We appreciate you donating the
              mushrooms.

              Larry Whalen and I found a ton of tylopilus rubrobrunesence,
              tylopilus fellius and another that is blueish black with white pores
              that is also bitter. Unlike John & Kim, I only found 2 seperans, but
              I found a number of nobilis. The chanterelles in the location we
              were, are getting pretty old.

              If the picture of the trumpets looked like a lot of trumpets, think
              about dividing them among 150-200 people. Then it doesn't seem like
              so many.

              Big John

              --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "dave" <Ozone10ec@a...> wrote:
              > Hey John,
              > I am also finding the heck out of Black Trumpets. I talked with
              Kim
              > the other night and told her I would bring a bunch with me to PA.
              > Looks like you don't need any, LOL. I put a picture of some I
              found
              > in !.5 hrs. actually about 30 minutes picking,the rest of the time
              > walking to the beech trees and that isn't even one of my good
              spots.
              > I have all I can use till next year, but if you think you will need
              > more for the foray I will keep collecting. You know I wouldn't
              mind
              > working a bit, if it didn't cut into my mushrooming time LOL. It's
              > odd, but I have my first Black Trumpet to find under Oak trees.
              All
              > the Trumpets I find here in TN are associated with Beech trees.
              > Thanks,
              > Dave
            • dave
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
                Our Morel season sucked here in TN, but the Black Trumpets season is
                outstanding so far, it's hard to keep from stepping on them, just
                strolling in the woods. I have found over 25 lbs. so far. I left a
                whole hillside standing in them. I had all I could lug out of the
                woods. How bout you guys up north, Black Trumpets in yet?
              • jr
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 25, 2005
                  dave wrote:

                  > Our Morel season sucked here in TN, but the Black Trumpets season is
                  > outstanding so far, it's hard to keep from stepping on them, just
                  > strolling in the woods. I have found over 25 lbs. so far. I left a
                  > whole hillside standing in them. I had all I could lug out of the
                  > woods. How bout you guys up north, Black Trumpets in yet?

                  > Biology
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.sig=mgfbEVpDyLRus7kbJ1Ui_Q>
                  > Cell biology
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cell+biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.sig=j_FSDbt2UcQrDOAar9HiIQ>
                  > Biology job
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Biology+job&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.sig=44EtSTWMiPtY8DHp0num1Q>
                  >
                  > Marine biology
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Marine+biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.sig=6ShQ4APJRm5Cp7Fs-G_NBw>
                  > Marine biology college
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Marine+biology+college&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.sig=xmWsFYN02oRHHpwOByOfRg>
                  > Molecular biology
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Molecular+biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.sig=ZaG1zmf6rfTS8du4ISnPBQ>

                  Hi Dave: I'm new to this mushroom picking. Weather has been
                  unpredictable, some areas get rain and other areas are seeing a
                  drought. We went out for chanterelle on Saturday. We found some, but
                  it was really too dry. Some of the folks did find some black trumpets.
                  We also found some bicolor boletes and chicken of the woods. There
                  doesn't seem to be much to a black trumpet. How do you cook them? Mike
                  from Pittsburgh.

                • dave
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 27, 2005
                    Hi Mike,
                    There are several good recipes for Black Trumpets. Just google
                    Black Trumpet recipes and you will get a bunch of different ideals.
                    Sauteed in butter, nothing like it. You can dry them and sprinkle
                    them over any dish and you have just turned an ordinary dish into a
                    masterpiece.

                    --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, jr <johnpaulr@a...> wrote:
                    > dave wrote:
                    >
                    > > Our Morel season sucked here in TN, but the Black Trumpets
                    season is
                    > > outstanding so far, it's hard to keep from stepping on them, just
                    > > strolling in the woods. I have found over 25 lbs. so far. I
                    left a
                    > > whole hillside standing in them. I had all I could lug out of
                    the
                    > > woods. How bout you guys up north, Black Trumpets in yet?

                    > > Biology
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marine+bi
                    ology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.sig=m
                    gfbEVpDyLRus7kbJ1Ui_Q>
                    > > Cell biology
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Cell+biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Mari
                    ne+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.
                    sig=j_FSDbt2UcQrDOAar9HiIQ>
                    > > Biology job
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Biology+job&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Marin
                    e+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119&.s
                    ig=44EtSTWMiPtY8DHp0num1Q>

                    > > Marine biology
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Marine+biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4=Ma
                    rine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=119
                    &.sig=6ShQ4APJRm5Cp7Fs-G_NBw>
                    > > Marine biology college
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Marine+biology+college&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+j
                    ob&w4=Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c
                    =6&s=119&.sig=xmWsFYN02oRHHpwOByOfRg>
                    > > Molecular biology
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Molecular+biology&w1=Biology&w2=Cell+biology&w3=Biology+job&w4
                    =Marine+biology&w5=Marine+biology+college&w6=Molecular+biology&c=6&s=
                    119&.sig=ZaG1zmf6rfTS8du4ISnPBQ>

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    of

                    7/25/2005

                    > Hi Dave: I'm new to this mushroom picking. Weather has been
                    > unpredictable, some areas get rain and other areas are seeing a
                    > drought. We went out for chanterelle on Saturday. We found some,
                    but
                    > it was really too dry. Some of the folks did find some black
                    trumpets.
                    > We also found some bicolor boletes and chicken of the woods.
                    There
                    > doesn't seem to be much to a black trumpet. How do you cook them?
                    Mike
                    > from Pittsburgh.
                    >

                    > --
                    7/25/2005
                  • Debbie Viess
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27, 2005

                      Here’s one of my favorite black trumpet recipes, and you can use it whether you’ve collect five mushrooms or fifty pounds of ‘em (if you collect fifty pounds, god forbid you should eat ‘em all. Think sharing for group dinners or unique Xmas gifts!).

                      Crostini with goat cheese, roasted red pepper and black chanterelles with carmelized shallots”

                      crostini (toast rounds); homemade is best, but sometimes you can buy ‘em

                      goat cheese (I’ve also used Boursin soft herbed cheese for this)

                      roasted red pepper, skin removed, cut into thin strips

                      shallots, sautéed in butter until browned

                      black chanterelles, cleaned and stripped

                      Add chanterelles to shallot mix before they are completely carmelized, and cook gently until done. Spread toast with goat cheese, add strips of red pepper, and black chanterelles w/shallots (I use chopsticks to do this). Assemble right before eating, or toast will get soggy. Beautiful and delicious!

                      I am delighted to hear that your mushroom season is well underway. I look forward to NEMF.

                      Debbie Viess

                    • C. James Strutz
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27, 2005
                        Thanks, this looks like a great recipe. This would work well with golden chanterelles too.

                        Debbie, I believe we met a couple of years ago at the NAMA foray in Mendocino. You were one of the organizers and a very gracious hostess. You also helped us sort through some Lactarius mushrooms for Candy Caps. We had such a good time out there. Thanks for your part in it...