Re: morels and humming birds

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi Bob,

      On my way home from work, I try to look for hill tops around my home that have a south eastern exposer to the sun and the right type of trees. I'm told that the ground has to warm up above 50 degrees for morels to start growing.

      This rain should be good, plus if we get a week of nice warm weather and start seeing wild flowers, we should also start seeing blacks.

      I have a problem in just seeing the morels. My eye sight isn't that great and combine that with those blacks ability to hide, well it's a challenge.

      Hey, you ever thought about auctioning off a secret location on your mountain along with an black morel walk? I bet some people would go for a special walk, even if they only do it once! Heck, I'd buy the coffee and donuts.

      Mike

    • DSPAHR3D@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
        What is the arrival date of hummingbirds in PA? Here in Maine it is May 10.

        David Spahr

        Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or less.
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
          Hi David,

          The migration maps from 2008 showed that they arrived or were sighted in Pittsburgh between April 8th and the 12th.

          Mike

        • DSPAHR3D@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
            In a message dated 4/1/2009 2:45:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, michael2636@... writes:
            Hi David,

            The migration maps from 2008 showed that they arrived or were sighted in Pittsburgh between April 8th and the 12th.

            Mike

            Thanks. I looked at a map and saw that the earliest sighting in Maine in 2008 was 4-26. I have been keeping track on my own for over 10 years. 5-6 is the earliest I have seen. 5-13 is the latest. I don't think the earliest sighting is necessarily the most relevant. When I see them is usually when they start being around in numbers. I do get my feeder out early. We get a lot around here.

            This year there were flocks of robins around all winter. They never used to do that but then things are changing to be less predictable. Especially the last few years. Crazy.

            Thanks for pointing out the existence of the maps.

            David

            Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or less.
          • dssarr