Re: walk on sunday

  • sable_bp
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Most years, club walks end in September, however, this year we had 2
      scheduled in October. By November the weather can either be very
      nice or very nasty. Mushroom hunting becomes more difficult. It is
      difficult to schedule a walk considering the weather when we are
      scheduling 3 or 4 months in the past. With all the leaves coming
      down, mushrooms become much harder to see. That doesn't say that the
      mushrooms aren't out there, but take last weekend, the weather was
      pretty rough for many of our members.

      That doesn't say that many of our members aren't out hunting on their
      own. I took a little drive over to Bedford County a few days ago; I
      had trouble seeing mushrooms with 4 inches of snow on the ground.
      Yesterday, today and this week the weather is supposed to get much
      better, but the leaves continue to fall. In the mountains, except
      for the oaks, 80% or more of the leaves are down, covering the
      mushrooms that are there.

      I would suggest the Pittsburgh area might be the place to hunt for
      the next week or two. We would feel inappropriate April through
      October when the club has a walk scheduled every week to have
      impromptu walks. It would be entirely appropriate for members to get
      together before and after that time for walks. Putting your idea for
      a walk here on Groups would get the message out to a lot of people.

      Does anybody want to lead and identify at a walk at Frick or Schenley
      Park tomorrow? This, of course, would be a non club walk and the
      club would take no responsibility for the walk. It would be just a
      group of people getting together to enjoy mushroom hunting.

      We would like to give a personal invitation to Elena to join our next
      meeting on Tuesday, November 18 at 7:00PM at Beechwood Farms Nature
      Reserve, 614 Dorseyville Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15238. The program
      will be: Mushrooms and Art by Joyce Gross, Workshop Chair.
      Non WPMC members are invited to come to a club walk or meeting as a
      guest of the WPMC on a one time basis to see what we are all about.
      Of course, after the first time we would expect people to join the
      club.

      With club membership, you get 9 monthly informative meetings.
      Members bring mushrooms they find to the meetings where they are
      identified by our team of experts. Over 30 walks a year are
      available for club members to participate in. We have 5 issues a
      year of our outstanding newsletter. If you are not getting on the
      club's outstanding Species List, directed by Bob Lucas, you are
      missing out. That is a lot of action for a $20 family membership,
      $15 individual. That is about 45 things you can participate in a
      year. That breaks down to less than 50 cents an item. You can't
      play golf for 50 cents a round, nor can you go to the movies.

      Big John

      --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "aminitam" <aminitam@...>
      wrote:

      > Welcome to the group, Elena,
      >
      > It's pretty dry, but in the valleys in the parks the Brick Tops,
      > Honey's and Aborted Entolomas are probably fruiting. I don't think
      > there is walk this weekend. Frick Park and Schenely in the valleys
      > stay fairly wet, even when it's been dry this time of year, but
      really
      > any of the parks are just as good.
      >
      > I haven't found much lately, but I saw some Flammulina velutipes
      > yesterday and found my first healthy, Hypsizygus tessulatus. I've
      seen
      > good looking ones at forays on the display tables and found a few
      that
      > were old beat up myself, but it was first nice one I found myself.
      > There are mushrooms fruiting out there, happy hunting.
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "meversari" <meversari@>
      wrote:

      > > Hallo, I am new to the yahoo group.
      > > Are there any walks scheduled for November?
      > > I have been loaded with work in the last 4 weeks and I need some
      fresh
      > > air. I was thinking of going for a walk on sunday and seeing if
      any
      > > mushroom remain. Is any walk scheduled this sunday or which Park
      would
      > > you suggest, coming from Downtown? (I am new to Pittsburgh, too!).
      > > Thank you and all the best!
      > >
      > > Elena

    • James Tunney
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        I'm going to check out Frick Park tomorrow from about 11 to ? to see what's fruiting. If anyone wants to I'll be parking in the lots by where the soccer fields used to be. If there's nothing there I'll probably call it a day after an hour or drive somewhere else and check out another location.

        Directions, to get you to the park, http://www.pittsburghparks.org/_95.php,  Once you get there follow these directions

        This is where I'll be parked.

        http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=S+Braddock+Ave&daddr=Frick+Park+Access+Rd+E&hl=en&geocode=FQMEaQIdwuA8-w%3BFWruaAIdRtI8-w&mra=ls&sll=40.434291,-79.896183&sspn=0.010028,0.022745&ie=UTF8&ll=40.433964,-79.897084&spn=0.010028,0.022745&z=16.

        Cheers,

        Jim

        To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com
        From: sable_bp@...
        Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 18:29:24 +0000
        Subject: [wpamushroomclub] Re: walk on sunday

        wrote:

        > Welcome to the group, Elena,
        >
        > It's pretty dry, but in the valleys in the parks the Brick Tops,
        > Honey's and Aborted Entolomas are probably fruiting. I don't think
        > there is walk this weekend. Frick Park and Schenely in the valleys
        > stay fairly wet, even when it's been dry this time of year, but
        really
        > any of the parks are just as good.
        >
        > I haven't found much lately, but I saw some Flammulina velutipes
        > yesterday and found my first healthy, Hypsizygus tessulatus. I've
        seen
        > good looking ones at forays on the display tables and found a few
        that
        > were old beat up myself, but it was first nice one I found myself.
        > There are mushrooms fruiting out there, happy hunting.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > --- In wpamushroomclub@ yahoogroups. com, "meversari" <meversari@>
        wrote:

        > > Hallo, I am new to the yahoo group.
        > > Are there any walks scheduled for November?
        > > I have been loaded with work in the last 4 weeks and I need some
        fresh
        > > air. I was thinking of going for a walk on sunday and seeing if
        any
        > > mushroom remain. Is any walk scheduled this sunday or which Park
        would
        > > you suggest, coming from Downtown? (I am new to Pittsburgh, too!).
        > > Thank you and all the best!
        > >
        > > Elena

        Stay organized with simple drag and drop from Windows Live Hotmail. Try it
      • sable_bp
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          Jim,

          How did your walk go today? What did you all find? How many people
          decided to join you on this beautiful day?

          Big John

          --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, James Tunney <aminitam@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > > There are mushrooms fruiting out there, happy hunting.
          >

          > > Jim
          >

          > > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "meversari" <meversari@>
          >
          > wrote:
          >

          > > > Hallo, I am new to the yahoo group.
          >
          > > > Are there any walks scheduled for November?
          >
          > > > I have been loaded with work in the last 4 weeks and I need
          some

          > fresh
          >
          > > > air. I was thinking of going for a walk on sunday and seeing if
          >
          > any
          >
          > > > mushroom remain. Is any walk scheduled this sunday or which
          Park

          > would
          >
          > > > you suggest, coming from Downtown? (I am new to Pittsburgh,
          too!).

          > > > Thank you and all the best!
          >

          > > > Elena

          > Stay organized with simple drag and drop from Windows Live Hotmail.
          ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_102008

        • James Tunney
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            Hey John,

            I had a nice walk, by myself, just as well though it was very dry and I
            only found four kinds of mushrooms, Brick caps there was lots of Brick caps,
            Resinous polypore one log, Pholiota aurivella a small cluster and one fairly old small oyster.

            It was a beautiful day, except I managed to step in dog poop. There are a lot of people
            who walk dogs in Frick, a while ago the whole park smelled like dog poop,
            Charlotte calls it doggy poop park and won't go hunting there with me.
            People are getting better about picking up after their dog there, now
            it no longer smells like dog poo. There were a
            lot of people carrying doggy poop bags on Sunday. I checked a bunch of bags
            of people who walked by in case they were novices carrying mushrooms in
            plastic bags ;).

            Are you finding anything out there in the east in the foothills of the Appalacian mountains?

            Cheers,

            Jim

            To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: sable_bp@...