Re: [wpamushroomclub] Re: Not your ordinary morel photos

  • Mitch Fournet
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2008
      Hey Jim,

      I happen to work in a lab so I have access to an inverted scope.

      It is a Nikon Diaphot with a Nikon dxm1200 Camera.

      The spores were collected by placing a single morel in a brown paper bag and setting it in a warm window for a day.  I also have access to a biological hood so I was able to open the bag under there.

      The spores I used were only about 2 weeks old so they were ready for action!  I took my inoculating loop and dampened it in sterile DI water then swiped the spore print then back to about 1 mL of sterile water. I mixed the spores into this water then directly swiped from my spore suspension.  I did this in a mater of minutes so they didn't soak for long.  The agar I used was malt extract agar.  The blown spore was taken on a different scope.  It was directly from my initial spore suspension on a slide.

      It turned out way cleaner that I would have expected from a wild mushroom.  I was expecting to see tons of mold or other contams growing but even today there are still no contams growing on either plate I inoculated.

      I have some old wood stove pellets and I was thinking of soaking some and adding some bran or other enrichment, sterilizing, and inoculating once I get to grain.  I'll have to see if I can get it to grain first :) From there I may take the method in Mycelium Running and inoculate a little burned spot.  That or maybe my compost pile.

      I have also seen mixed media for morels where there is a nutrient rich layer and a nutrient poor layer for producing sclerotia.  If I have time maybe I will try one of these methods also.

      I'm pretty new to cultivation but have read some of Stamets books.  I am always open to sugestions or comments so feel free :)  I hope to try some other species in the future.

      Glad you enjoyed them!  Good luck out there!

      Mitch

      aminitam <aminitam@...> wrote:
      "Hey Mitch great pictures.

      How did you take them? What kind of camera.

      How did you germinate the spores?

      One blew it in the water? Ha!  Did you soak the spores before they were put on agar?

      thanks,

      Jim

      --- In wpamushroomclub@ yahoogroups. com, "twistedhyphae" <twistedhyphae@ ...> wrote:

      > Hey there folks,
      >
      > Some of you may not know me but my name is Mitch. I have met a few of
      > you at forays held by MAW and I hope to meet you at one of your forays
      > some time.
      >
      > Any way, I happen to have a few photos you may like so I posted them
      > in a folder with my name. They are of Black Morel spores germinating
      > on agar.
      >
      > There is also one that was a little impatient and blew it in the water.
      >
      > Hope you enjoy them.
      >
      > Mitch
      >
      > and Good Luck out there! :)
      >
      > Our area is dwindling we are heading to the hills!

    • David W. Fischer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        Very, very cool stuff, Mitch.  Love the photos.

        David W. Fischer
        Mycologist, Author, Photographer, Musician
        Coauthor, Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America (1992, Univ. of Texas Press) and Mushrooms of Northeastern North America (1997, Syracuse Univ. Press)
        http://AmericanMushrooms.com

        aminitam <aminitam@hotmail. com> wrote:
> [...]

          One blew it in the water? Ha!  Did you soak the spores before they were put on agar?

          thanks,

          Jim

          --- In wpamushroomclub@ yahoogroups. com, "twistedhyphae" <twistedhyphae@ ...> wrote:

          > Hey there folks,
          >
          > Some of you may not know me but my name is Mitch. I have met a few of
          > you at forays held by MAW and I hope to meet you at one of your forays
          > some time.
          >
          > Any way, I happen to have a few photos you may like so I posted them
          > in a folder with my name. They are of Black Morel spores germinating
          > on agar.
          >
          > There is also one that was a little impatient and blew it in the water.
          >
          > Hope you enjoy them.
          >
          > Mitch
          >
          > and Good Luck out there! :)
          >
          > Our area is dwindling we are heading to the hills!

        • aminitam
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2008
            Keep posting pictures Mitch, :)   I'm going to try soaking spores the next time I try to grow something.

            I found some morels a couple of days ago at a dump where landscaping materials go.  I found one batch on a big pile of reddish clay dirt and another batch on a mix of wood chips and dirt.  This is the second year finding morels on wood chips. Last year I found a black morel at the base of a large pile of wood chips, the ones I found this year were also blacks.  The ones found on clay were probably yellows, they were pretty old and had dried in the sun.

            Jim

            --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, Mitch Fournet <twistedhyphae@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Jim
            >

            > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "twistedhyphae" twistedhyphae@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey there folks,
            > >
            > > Some of you may not know me but my name is Mitch. I have met a few of
            > > you at forays held by MAW and I hope to meet you at one of your forays
            > > some time.
            > >
            > > Any way, I happen to have a few photos you may like so I posted them
            > > in a folder with my name. They are of Black Morel spores germinating
            > > on agar.
            > >
            > > There is also one that was a little impatient and blew it in the water.
            > >
            > > Hope you enjoy them.
            > >
            > > Mitch
            > >
            > > and Good Luck out there! :)
            > >
            > > Our area is dwindling we are heading to the hills!

            > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

          • Mitch Fournet
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2008
              Glad you liked them Jim,

              I'll try to get some others when I start.  I collected a large esculenta the other day and I got a spore print in the same manner so I'll see if I can get it going.

              The elata grows very fast.  It has completely grown over the plate I had it on.  Maybe I will try to inoculate some wood chips once on the grain :)

              Soaking the spores is supposed to help.  Hope it works out!

              Have a good one,

              Mitch