last and first mushrooms of the year

  • dssarr
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008

      What is left from my oyster block is out under a bush by my front door. There are mushrooms on it (still) they are not dried, but are soft even with the cold. I looked at them as I left to go out last night (about 6p) and  when I cane home this morning (5am).

      John, does this mean that I got to see the last and first mushrooms of the year????  Anybody can do better??  Is it cheating because they are cultivated and not wild?

      do I win? do I win?

      Mary Jo

      Posted by: "sable_bp" sable_bp@...   sable_bp

      Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:43 am (PST)

      Yesterday I decided to go on a drive looking for the winter oyster and
      to try out my brand spanking new 100-300mm lens. My goal was to go to
      Cambria County. I left Greensburg and went on Rt 30 toward
      Jennerstown. There I turned left toward Johnstown. Soon it started
      spitting snow. The closer I got to Johnstown the more it was snowing.
      I turned around and came back via the Manocker Highway.

      A summary of my trip is that I got rid of any cabin fever I had and it
      was a beautiful day for a drive. Although I saw 2 red tailed hawks, I
      was unable to get a photograph of them.

      As for the winter oyster, if they are out there this year, and one
      would think with all this rain they would be, I still didn't see a
      single one.

      Please let me know if any of you find any winter oysters or late honey
      mushrooms.

      Big John

    • sable_bp
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
        Mary Jo, love it. I don't know if you won or you didn't. I know
        that I lost. John gave me a job to do in Mt. Pleasant today. I
        thought I would multi-task. Hopefully, get a picture of a red tailed
        or some other kind of hawk. Complete my job. Find my New Year's Day
        oyster mushrooms.

        I was able to complete the job John gave me, but I fizzled out on
        everything else. I don't know if you won, but I know I lost.

        Did anyone else find mushrooms yesterday and today?

        Big John

        --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, dssarr <dssarr@...> wrote:

        > What is left from my oyster block is out under a bush by my front
        > door. There are mushrooms on it (still) they are not dried, but
        are
        > soft even with the cold. I looked at them as I left to go out last
        > night (about 6p) and when I cane home this morning (5am).
        >
        > John, does this mean that I got to see the last and first
        mushrooms
        > of the year???? Anybody can do better?? Is it cheating because
        they
        > are cultivated and not wild?
        >
        > do I win? do I win?
        >
        > Mary Jo
        >
        > > Winter oysters
        > >> Posted by: "sable_bp" sable_bp@... sable_bp
        > >> Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:43 am (PST)
        > >>
        > >> Yesterday I decided to go on a drive looking for the winter
        oyster
        > >> and
        > >> to try out my brand spanking new 100-300mm lens. My goal was to
        go to
        > >> Cambria County. I left Greensburg and went on Rt 30 toward
        > >> Jennerstown. There I turned left toward Johnstown. Soon it
        started
        > >> spitting snow. The closer I got to Johnstown the more it was
        snowing.
        > >> I turned around and came back via the Manocker Highway.
        > >>
        > >> A summary of my trip is that I got rid of any cabin fever I had
        > >> and it
        > >> was a beautiful day for a drive. Although I saw 2 red tailed
        hawks, I
        > >> was unable to get a photograph of them.
        > >>
        > >> As for the winter oyster, if they are out there this year, and
        one
        > >> would think with all this rain they would be, I still didn't see
        > >> single one.
        > >>
        > >> Please let me know if any of you find any winter oysters or
        late
        > >> honey
        > >> mushrooms.
        > >>
        > >> Big John

      • Bruce Riddle
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
          Well I don't know if I count or not since I'm in Eastern PA and part of njmyco.org but
          here it goes.

          As far as wild oysters I haven't seen anything I can positiviley identify. But my
          cultivated ones are really growin good and I should have a harvest within a week.
          I picked up a block/bag at NJ Myco's fungus fest wheich was donated by Phillips Mushrooms of Kennet Squeare PA.
          <http://www.riddleware.com/php/album/index.php?album=FungusFest07&photo=FungusFest07/p9230103.jpg>
          After harvesting what you see in the picture I got little fruit, but I had added quite a bit of Oak sawdust
          and shavings to it, watered it alot and kept it outside. I took it inside and found a suitable place in the basement
          and it is doing well.

          As to wild finds:
          I did not get out on the 31st, but I was out on the 29th, 30th and the 1st.

          http://www.riddleware.com/php/fungi/index.php?album=20071229
          http://www.riddleware.com/php/fungi/index.php?album=20071230
          http://www.riddleware.com/php/fungi/index.php?album=20080101

          From the 29th I still have two unidentified they woul be the first three pictures.
          I did find Schizophyllum commune, Flammulina velutipes and Lenzites betulinus.

          From the 30th I have a picture of the same unitenitifed species from the 29th (the yellowish orange one).
          http://www.riddleware.com/php/fungi/index.php?album=20071230&photo=20071230/pc290001.jpg
          There is quite a large cluster of these which appear to be growing on a conifer root, and buried under some leaves.
          Unfortunatley I didn't spot them until I stepped on them. I did take a spore print and it is brown-tan.
          THe second and third pictures from the 30th were growing on a very large log about 2 feet high and 2 feet around.
          They did have gills and were soft, Unfortunately the 3rd picture didn't come out very good. So I'm still
          saying they are unidentified.

          The mushroom I found today in the folder 20080101 is stumping me so far.
          I found it and 3 siblings under a white pine. Also present were some
          softball sized puffballs that were just yellow spounge.
          Any help with IDing the gilled mushroom will be appreciated.
          I haven't made a spore print yet, but it is in the works.

          Rgds,

          Bruce

          dssarr wrote:

          > What is left from my oyster block is out under a bush by my front door.
          > There are mushrooms on it (still) they are not dried, but are soft even
          > with the cold. I looked at them as I left to go out last night (about
          > 6p) and when I cane home this morning (5am).
          >
          > John, does this mean that I got to see the last and first mushrooms of
          > the year???? Anybody can do better?? Is it cheating because they are
          > cultivated and not wild?
          >
          > do I win? do I win?
          >
          > Mary Jo
          >
          >> Winter oysters
          >> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wpamushroomclub/message/3204;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNWIxbDJrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI4NTkzMzcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NzEzMTYwBG1zZ0lkAzMyMDQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTE5OTE4NTY0Ng-->
          >>

          >>> Posted by: "sable_bp" sable_bp@...
          >>> <mailto:sable_bp@...?Subject=
          >>> Re%3AWinter%20oysters> sable_bp
          >>> <http://profiles.yahoo.com/sable_bp>
          >>>

          >>> Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:43 am (PST)
          >>>
          >>> Yesterday I decided to go on a drive looking for the winter
          >>> oyster and
          >>> to try out my brand spanking new 100-300mm lens. My goal was to
          >>> go to
          >>> Cambria County. I left Greensburg and went on Rt 30 toward
          >>> Jennerstown. There I turned left toward Johnstown. Soon it started
          >>> spitting snow. The closer I got to Johnstown the more it was
          >>> snowing.
          >>> I turned around and came back via the Manocker Highway.
          >>>
          >>> A summary of my trip is that I got rid of any cabin fever I had
          >>> and it
          >>> was a beautiful day for a drive. Although I saw 2 red tailed
          >>> hawks, I
          >>> was unable to get a photograph of them.
          >>>
          >>> As for the winter oyster, if they are out there this year, and one
          >>> would think with all this rain they would be, I still didn't see a
          >>> single one.
          >>>
          >>> Please let me know if any of you find any winter oysters or late
          >>> honey
          >>> mushrooms.
          >>>
          >>> Big John

        • John
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
            Hello the Album 2008001 looks like they could be a Lactarius but i
            cant tell which one.
            The first alubum with the photos of the Velvet foot?, looks like the
            first 2 could be the Deadly Galerina. I could not see the stems,
            prehaps velvet foot if they were dark like the rest. A spore print
            may help. The deadly Galerina has a rusty brown spore print and the
            velvet foot has a white spore print.

            --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Riddle <briddle@...>
            wrote:

            > Well I don't know if I count or not since I'm in Eastern PA and
            part of njmyco.org but
            > here it goes.
            >
            > As far as wild oysters I haven't seen anything I can positiviley
            identify. But my
            > cultivated ones are really growin good and I should have a harvest
            within a week.
            > I picked up a block/bag at NJ Myco's fungus fest wheich was
            donated by Phillips Mushrooms of Kennet Squeare PA.
            > <http://www.riddleware.com/php/album/index.php?
            album=FungusFest07&photo=FungusFest07/p9230103.jpg>
            > After harvesting what you see in the picture I got little fruit,
            but I had added quite a bit of Oak sawdust
            > and shavings to it, watered it alot and kept it outside. I took
            it inside and found a suitable place in the basement
            > and it is doing well.
            >
            > As to wild finds:
            > I did not get out on the 31st, but I was out on the 29th, 30th and
            the 1st.

            > http://www.riddleware.com/php/fungi/index.php?album=20071229
            > http://www.riddleware.com/php/fungi/index.php?album=20071230
            > http://www.riddleware.com/php/fungi/index.php?album=20080101
            >

            > From the 29th I still have two unidentified they woul be the
            first three pictures.
            > I did find Schizophyllum commune, Flammulina velutipes and Lenzites
            betulinus.

            > From the 30th I have a picture of the same unitenitifed species
            from the 29th (the yellowish orange one).

          • John
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
              I decided to go mushroom hunting yesterday for a while and Since I
              was in the Pittsburgh area I decided I would look there. Thought to
              myself this warm weather should bring some mushrooms up. I could
              find oyster mushrooms or something else. Many of you know Dick
              Dougall. Dicks a nice person and I have seen a couple of his slide
              shows where he shows mushrooms in his yard and mushrooms at the
              apartment building down the street etc. What you may not have known
              is that Dick was a professor at the University of Pittsburgh. And
              did anyone notice during Dicks slide shows that he somehow never
              shows mushrooms from Pitt? That got to thinking I see mushrooms
              where I work, how come Dick never showed us any mushrooms from Pitt.
              Hmm. Prehaps could it be that Pitt is a mushroom hotspot? Not sure
              how I should go on from here. Should I reveal to everyone the exact
              location of where I filled the biggest bag I could get to overfilling
              with wild mushrooms? Should I tell the habitat? Not sure yet. I
              will have to give it some more thought but needless to say, since I
              only had one bag yesterday I will be going back sometime in the next
              few days with another bag. I will also reveal more of this story
              after I collect more. lol.
              John III

              --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@...>
              wrote:

              > Mary Jo, love it. I don't know if you won or you didn't. I know
              > that I lost. John gave me a job to do in Mt. Pleasant today. I
              > thought I would multi-task. Hopefully, get a picture of a red
              tailed
              > or some other kind of hawk. Complete my job. Find my New Year's
              Day
              > oyster mushrooms.
              >
              > I was able to complete the job John gave me, but I fizzled out on
              > everything else. I don't know if you won, but I know I lost.
              >
              > Did anyone else find mushrooms yesterday and today?
              >
              > Big John
              >

              > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, dssarr <dssarr@> wrote:
              > >

              > > What is left from my oyster block is out under a bush by my
              front
              > > door. There are mushrooms on it (still) they are not dried, but
              > are
              > > soft even with the cold. I looked at them as I left to go out
              last
              > > night (about 6p) and when I cane home this morning (5am).
              > >
              > > John, does this mean that I got to see the last and first
              > mushrooms
              > > of the year???? Anybody can do better?? Is it cheating because
              > they
              > > are cultivated and not wild?
              > >
              > > do I win? do I win?
              > >
              > > Mary Jo
              > >
              > > > Winter oysters

              > oyster
              > go to
              > started
              > snowing.

              > hawks, I

              > one

              > late

            • bill neill
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                John and Bruce, Happy 2008,
                I'm thinking 20080101 could be an old Blewit discolored by age/weathering. What do you think with that in mind?
                Bill N

                To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com
                From: Fungi01@...
                Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 03:57:41 +0000
                Subject: [wpamushroomclub] Re: last and first mushrooms of the year 2008001 photos

                wrote:

> [...]
                door.
                > > There are mushrooms on it (still) they are not dried, but are
                soft even
                > > with the cold. I looked at them as I left to go out last night
                (about
                > > 6p) and when I cane home this morning (5am).
                > >
                > > John, does this mean that I got to see the last and first
                mushrooms of
                > > the year???? Anybody can do better?? Is it cheating because
                they are
                > > cultivated and not wild?
                > >
                > > do I win? do I win?
                > >
                > > Mary Jo
                > >
                > >> Winter oysters

                <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/wpamushroo mclub/message/ 3204;_ylc= X3oDM
                TJxNWIxbDJrBF9TAzk3 MzU5NzE1BGdycElk AzI4NTkzMzcEZ3Jw c3BJZAMxNzA1NzEz MTY
                wBG1zZ0lkAzMyMDQEc2 VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3 Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMT E5OTE4NTY0Ng- ->

                Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Start sharing!
              • Bruce Riddle
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                  AS to 20080101 I might be inclined that it is in the Lactarius genus.

                  I have found some velvet foot around, Flamulinus velutipes, but this is certainly not the case.
                  The spore print is brown, I wouldn't call it rusty brown since there is little trace of red,
                  but more brown like hot cocao mix. There is no annulus present on any of them that I could tell.

                  All my guides says deadly galerina has a ring of some sort. That being said the coloration of the
                  stipe seems to be otherwise consistent with Galerina autumnalis' decriptions. I had found a specimen
                  to photograph the stipe but did not have the camera with me at the time. By the time I wanted to put
                  camera and mushroom together I had a dried out specimen. Oh well, they were still growing as of
                  the 5th of January so they should still be there if I can get back there in the daylight over
                  the next few days.

                • Bruce Riddle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                    The speciman looked pretty fresh, in fact it took a whole day before I noticed spores
                    of any number.

                    I'm leaning towards a Lactarius sp. as John mentioned pouring over my guide books now...

                  • Bruce Riddle
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
                      Hmmm....

                      THis may go down as a UFO (Unidentifed Fungal Object)
                      The cap broke readily as I remember, no milk/latex though.
                      Russla brevipes might fit but not common to the area as I can determine.

                      I have a sproe print but no microscope, much less the knowledge (yet) to
                      know what I would be looking at.

                      I might be able to make it to this location later this week during my lunch break,
                      to see if I can grab another fresh specimen.

                      Thanks for all your help guys.

                      Is there a key somewhere on the web basic/detailed spore colors.
                      Rusty Brown, Cream, etc. Giving more credence to the George Barron book?

                      Auxilary question to the above request:
                      Are spore colors more consistent than the parent's colors?

                      Bruce