Re: Chickens & Hens

  • cesnales
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      John and all,

      > Is anybody else finding chickens and hens?

      <<Yes!! I found about 10lbs of nice chickens on Saturday, about 5lbs a
      week ago and saw many more that were slightly over the hill. I have
      collected about 30lbs of hens over the last week.

      Adam>>
    • David W. Fischer
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        Two weekends ago there were plenty of nice L. sulphureus at a class I taught at a nature center in the Syracuse area; alas, we don't "harvest" there because it is a nature center.  Yesterday we found some old, decrepit Grifola in NE PA at the base of a large dead beech tree, we should have been there two weeks ago!

        David W. Fischer
        Mycologist, Author, Photographer, Musician
        Coauthor, Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America (1992, Univ. of Texas Press) and Mushrooms of Northeastern North America (1997, Syracuse Univ. Press)
        http://AmericanMushrooms.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hens are up!  I found 3 this morning on a ten minute walk.  Its time to hit your favorite old oaks.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
            Other fungi are fruiting too. I happened upon a really nice fairy ring of
            horse mushrooms on Saturday. The largest one was about the size of a small
            dinner plate, maybe 8" or 9" in diameter. I wish I had more time to get a
            good picture of them, especially for the newsletter, but they were on
            private property (i.e., commercial, but still not public) and in plain sight
            of a moderately traveled road. I was too preoccupied with braving the
            onlookers and planning an escape route. Ah, some of the contraband has been
            disposed of and the rest is well disguised and hidden away in the freezer...
          • verytass
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
              Yesterday's brief walk in the wood was sponsored by the letter "H":
              Hens, Hydnum, Hericium, and Honeys. A few Laughing Gyms thrown in for
              no good measure. All south of the city. West and North received more
              of that sparse rainfall which broke the two week drought, so they
              might prove more varied and fruitful:
              http://www.intellicast.com/Weather/Precipitation/Weekly.aspx?location=USVA0731

              Everything was in pristine condition. No sign of Blewies nor Trichs,
              and didn't have time to check the chicken coop, a long mile off at sunset.

              --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@...> wrote:

              > I made a delivery to our Vice President, John Stuart's house on Monday
              > of this week. I did a drive through and a couple of jump outs at North
              > Park on the way home. I can assure you the sheephead are up. I didn't
              > pick any there, so you all can enjoy.
              >
              > Today I took a drive out of my county and found a good many chicken
              > mushrooms and a few sheephead. I highly recommend that if you are
              > interested in them, you get out there and look for them.
              >
              > Is anybody else finding chickens and hens?
              >
              > Big John

            • Liz
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                We found 3 nice Hens a couple days ago in Livingston county, NY just a
                few miles from where I live. I have not found any fresh Laetiporous
                sulphureous in the past 3 weeks. Richard Aaron of Toronto, Canada was
                in our area and attended the Letchworth State Park Mushroom walk on
                Friday; the RAMA foray on Saturday; and conducted the RAMA foray at
                Harriet Hollister Spencer State Recreation Area on Sunday. It was a
                delightful weekend, foraging was production, and the weather was
                beautiful. Everyone had a fabulous time. Liz

              • verytass
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Schenley Park Monday evening yielded dripping wet and heavy, polyp
                  stage L. sulphureus (on oak) and prime G. frondosa, both in quantity.

                  --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@...> wrote:

                  > I made a delivery to our Vice President, John Stuart's house on Monday
                  > of this week. I did a drive through and a couple of jump outs at North
                  > Park on the way home. I can assure you the sheephead are up. I didn't
                  > pick any there, so you all can enjoy.
                  >
                  > Today I took a drive out of my county and found a good many chicken
                  > mushrooms and a few sheephead. I highly recommend that if you are
                  > interested in them, you get out there and look for them.
                  >
                  > Is anybody else finding chickens and hens?
                  >
                  > Big John

                • fungi_forager
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                    At Kiski, I was amused the other day to find that an oak that had in
                    previous years been a pretty good chicken producer has switched
                    suddenly to producing hens for the first time since I have been here
                    (10 years)!
                    Many hens are popping up all over campus,and one area of the woods in
                    particular is producing a good many Entoloma abortivum. CK

                    --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "verytass" <verytass@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Schenley Park Monday evening yielded dripping wet and heavy, polyp
                    > stage L. sulphureus (on oak) and prime G. frondosa, both in
                    quantity.

                    > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@>
                    wrote:

                    > > I made a delivery to our Vice President, John Stuart's house on
                    Monday
                    > > of this week. I did a drive through and a couple of jump outs at
                    North
                    > > Park on the way home. I can assure you the sheephead are up. I
                    didn't
                    > > pick any there, so you all can enjoy.
                    > >
                    > > Today I took a drive out of my county and found a good many
                    chicken
                    > > mushrooms and a few sheephead. I highly recommend that if you
                    are
                    > > interested in them, you get out there and look for them.
                    > >
                    > > Is anybody else finding chickens and hens?
                    > >
                    > > Big John

                  • DONALD STONE
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                      JEFF, PLEASE PICK UP YOUR TIRES FROM THE FIELD ACROSS
                      FROM 3215 WARD ST.

                      THANKS, DON

                      --- verytass <verytass@...> wrote:

                      > Schenley Park Monday evening yielded dripping wet
                      > and heavy, polyp
                      > stage L. sulphureus (on oak) and prime G. frondosa,
                      > both in quantity.
                      >

                      > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp"
                      > <sable_bp@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I made a delivery to our Vice President, John
                      > Stuart's house on Monday
                      > > of this week. I did a drive through and a couple
                      > of jump outs at North
                      > > Park on the way home. I can assure you the
                      > sheephead are up. I didn't
                      > > pick any there, so you all can enjoy.
                      > >
                      > > Today I took a drive out of my county and found a
                      > good many chicken
                      > > mushrooms and a few sheephead. I highly recommend
                      > that if you are
                      > > interested in them, you get out there and look for
                      > them.
                      > >
                      > > Is anybody else finding chickens and hens?
                      > >
                      > > Big John

                      that gives answers, not web links.
                    • DSPAHR3D@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                        In a message dated 10/02/2007 5:47:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, fungi_forager@... writes:
                        At Kiski, I was amused the other day to find that an oak that had in
                        previous years been a pretty good chicken producer has switched
                        suddenly to producing hens for the first time since I have been here
                        (10 years)!
                        Many hens are popping up all over campus,and one area of the woods in
                        particular is producing a good many Entoloma abortivum. CK
                        Here in Maine I found hens growing with honeys a lot. The photographic evidence is on my Maitake page.

                        http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroommaitake.html

                        David