Join us for a Return to Mingo Creek on Saturday

  • sable_bp
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2007
      May 19 -- 10:00-12:00, Return to Mingo Creek, Washington County.
      Meet John Plischke and John Plischke III. I 70 to Exit 9 Eighty
      Four/Glyde. Take Rt. 519 N for 2 miles. At a red light turn right
      onto Rt. 136. Go 4.4 miles and turn left at a sign to Mingo Creek
      Park. Follow signs to the park. Turn right then cross a covered
      bridge that's just before the Park Office. Meet at Shelter 4.

      According to the weather, Washington County had an inch and a quarter
      of rain today!

      We request that no one hunts a walk or foray location for at least
      two weeks prior to a walk or foray. It is only through your
      cooperation that we can have successful walks and forays. All walks
      & forays will be held rain or shine. Come 15-30 min early and
      socialize. All walks start on time, so be early, if you are late we
      will already be in the woods.

      For all walks and forays, bring water and lunch. Dress for the
      weather. Bring basket, wax or paper bags (no plastic) to keep
      mushrooms separated, whistle, compass, chair, hand lens, insect
      repellent, cell phone, and books for identification. Also bring a
      knife to dig up mushrooms for identification or to cut edibles off to
      keep them clean. Try to dig up 3 of the same species at different
      stages of development. Don't pick old mushrooms; leave them to drop
      their spores.

      Bring your membership card and a friend or two. You
      are responsible for not getting lost, if you have that tendency stick
      like glue to others. We won't wait for you, and we won't come look
      for you. Don't take the identification of the person standing next
      to you, they might not know as much as you do. Only club mycologists
      and identifiers should be used for advice.

      The Walk Leader will tell
      you when to be back at the walk starting place where the mushrooms
      will be put on paper plates and the Walk Identifier or Club
      Mycologist will put names on only the mushrooms that they know well.
      Take notes and pictures to help you remember the mushrooms. You
      should go home and check books yourself. Whether you decide to eat a
      mushroom, is ultimately only your decision.