Re: Chanterelles

  • fungi_forager
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 1, 2006
      I went for a short walk at the site last evening, not to pick
      anything, of course, but to see what might be up. I was hoping the
      chanterelles had appeared, but, alas, found only a couple of very
      small ones in the area where last year (much later in July) I found
      them by the pound.
      But I covered a much smaller area than we can go over today and did
      see at least 10-12 different mushroom species, most of which I do
      not know (a number of russulas nibbled by critters), but there are a
      few oysters here & there and I saw more of the coral mushroom that I
      brought to the meeting, and some too-old chickens here & there.
      There should be more in the woods along the ridge.

      It's a beautiful day; hope we have a good turnout. If you are
      coming, be sure wear boots, it's muddy, and also much of the woods
      is carpeted with knee-high poison ivy!
      Carol at Kiski

      --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@...>
      wrote:

      > That is great! We're looking forward to finding chanterelles,
      soon.

      > We are going to the walk tomorrow at the Kiski School. See you
      there.

      > Big John, Becky & John
      >

      > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "aminitam" <aminitam@>
      wrote:

      > > Hey hey, Yeeha, I found some small ones on Tuesday and some
      larger
      > > ones in another location on Wedsneday. This I think is the
      latest I
      > > have found them since I started looking at mushrooms. It looks
      like
      > > they will be popping up everywhere this weekend.
      > >
      > > I fried up the ones I found on Wedsneday with a mild tasting
      > Tylopilus
      > > and poured it over some salsa, it was mighty tasty.
      > >
      > > Happy hunting,
      > >
      > > Jim

    • dickiephyls
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 21, 2007
        In my opinion (if that's worth anything) chanterells are indeed at the
        bottom of my edible list. I did get a good receipe from a fellow
        shroomer, however. be sure the chanterelles are worm free. Sometimes
        worms cause the bitterness, he says.Take a half cup of good bourbon
        (scotch will suffice but it's not as good) put it in the skillet and
        bring it to a boil, then blanch the chanterelles. Blanching is done by
        putting whatever one wishes to blanch in boiling liquid; the liquid
        will stop boiling with the addition of item used. When the liquid
        begins to boil again remove the chanterelles from the heat and allow
        them to cool. then throw the chanterelles out and drink the bourbon.
        Bon appetite
      • Michael E. Lloyd

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 21, 2007
            Hi Dick,

            > In my opinion (if that's worth anything) chanterells are indeed
            > at the bottom of my edible list.

            Huh, I'm surprised by this. Chanterelles are at the top of my favorite
            mushrooms. The only thing I don't like about them is they're usually ridden
            with worms. I often find chanterelles in great quantities and I
            painstakingly clean them so no wormholes are left. It takes a lot of time
            for large hauls but it's worth it.

            Chanterelles freeze well. After I clean them I give them a final rinse and
            let them air dry on a tea towel. Then I cut them into regular sized pieces
            and saute them in butter just until they begin to release their liquid. Then
            I immediately remove them from the heat and put them in large bowl to cool.
            I scoop two cups at a time into freezer bags (along with some of the
            remaining liquid), mark them, and stuff them into the freezer.

            Try them in this recipe and they'll rise quickly in your standing!

            Chanterelle and Roasted Corn Chowder

            2 cups chanterelles, cleaned and chopped
            2 ears fresh corn, husked
            1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
            1 onion, chopped
            1 red skinned potato, sliced
            chipotle powder, to taste
            celery salt, to taste
            half & half cream, to taste
            salt, pepper to taste
            butter, for sauteing
            water

            Melt the butter and brush some of it onto the corn ears, grill until the
            kernels begin to brown. Cut off the kernels and set aside. In a soup pot,
            saute the onions in the remaining butter for several minutes. Add the
            chanterelles, corn, roasted red pepper, potato, chipotle powder, and celery
            salt and saute for a moment longer. Add enough water to cover plus a little
            more and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked
            through, or longer to meld flavors. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
            Puree in batches to a course consistency. To serve: reheat soup, stir in
            desired amount of half & half, adjust seasonings.
          • DSPAHR3D@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 21, 2007
              In a message dated 09/21/2007 1:48:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mlloyd@... writes:
              Is anyone finding hens yet?
              I have found a few in Maine but it is too dry for much to happen.

              David Spahr

            • aminitam
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 21, 2007
                I found a couple of small hens a couple of days ago.

                I like chanterelles, sauted in oil with garlic salt and a little
                wine to finish.

                Jim

                --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, DSPAHR3D@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 09/21/2007 1:48:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > mlloyd@... writes:
                >
                > Is anyone finding hens yet?
                >

                > I have found a few in Maine but it is too dry for much to happen.
                >
                > David Spahr
                > _Mushroom-Collecting.com_ (http://mushroom-collecting.com/)

                http://www.aol.com

              • fungi020
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 23, 2009
                  They are finally here..... I found about 3/4 of a cloth grocery bag full. Of course these are being used this year for MM 09

                  Happy Hunting..... Kim :)
                • Aaron Muderick
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 23, 2009
                    Found a bag of Black Trumpets today near Jim Thorpe.  ;-)

                    fungi020 wrote:

                    They are finally here..... I found about 3/4 of a cloth grocery bag full. Of course these are being used this year for MM 09

                    Happy Hunting..... Kim :)

                  • plizgaw
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 5, 2013
                      Looks to be a good year . Seeing a lot of them . Trumpets and yellows
                    • Caroline Levin
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 1, 2013

                        Hi all,

                        Is it ok to ask a question about seeding/spores if I don't live in the PA area? There were lots of mushroom groups on yahoo, but this one seemed the most normal. So many others were for the psychedelic.

                        If so, I'll type out my question. It looks like it didn't come thru the first time.

                        Thx,
                        Caroline

                      • WPMC Membership in Gmail -pop
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 2, 2013
                          Caroline,

                          Thanks for the compliment. The Western Pennsylvania Mushroom Club is a very "normal" group of amateur mushroom hunters and professional mycologists. We are located in the Pittsburgh area, but are willing to help you no matter where you live.

                          Please visit our website: wpamushroomclub.org to learn a little bit more about us. If you have a question about cultivation, you may send it to the entire yahoo group or more directly to wpmc.membership@.... I will then forward it to our Cultivation Committee for an answer. Please let us know where you live to also give you information about a Mushroom Society or Club in your area.

                          Thank you,

                          Jim Wasik
                          WPMC - President 2013
                          WPMC - Membership Chair

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 2, 2013

                            Ok! Thanks so much.

                            We have some property in Northern Idaho. From on my online reading, it sounds like it would support Chanterelles in terms of altitude, topography, exposure, and tree species. (Yeah, I've been reading!! LOL.)

                            I've read that one way to start a Chanterelle patch is to take a mushroom, break it into pieces, and scatter them in the area you want to cultivate.

                            We don't live in Idaho, though. We live in Oregon and won't be back to Idaho until the weather warms up…March or so.

                            Right now, Chanterelles are being offered for sale on our Craig's list here in Oregon.

                            Here's my question: If I were to buy the mushrooms now in Oregon, and if they dried out over the winter, would they still be effective to seed our Idaho property in the spring?? SHould I store them in any particular way during that time?

                            On another note, I'm told by my neighbors that morels grow wild there in N. Idaho. Is that a pretty tasty mushroom, too?

                            THanks for your time and help. I appreciate both.

                            Caroline

                            Oregon City, OR

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2013
                              Caroline, of course you can write to us any time you like and we will try to help.  I will send your question to Jim Tunney, our expert in these matters.

                              Valerie Baker

                              To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2013
                                Hey, Caroline--I'm from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho--where is your property located?  I really miss the North West, but PA has extensive and really pretty hardwood forests where lots of mushrooms can be found anywhere.  I'll send this not to Jim Tunney too.

                                Valerie Baker

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 6, 2013

                                  Thank you all for you very generous input. I really appreciated hearing from you.

                                  I've read that there are different strains (?) of Chanterelles… different in Europe and the NE as compared to the big ones here in the NW. Apparently, here they grow at the feed of Douglas fir trees.

                                  Our place in the beginning (south) of what the call northern IdahoMoscow area, Pullman Washington area. Our elevation is 2700 ft. We have an east slope that has soggy ground / springs at the bottom…kind of like a gulch or a draw, and a small stand of Douglas firs. We also have a north slope that is much darker, cooler. There is a seasonal creek at the bottom, some year round springs, some Douglas fir, but a lot of Grand fir on that slope.

                                  TRuth is I've never *seen* any Chanterelles in N. Idaho, but I see references to them online. It will truly be an experiment. I don't have high hopes… because if it was such a good place for them, well…then they'd already be there, right? LOL.

                                  If it fails, I will try with morels. apparently those *are* around.

                                  Again, I really appreciate the advice and instructions. I would have never known such details. If it works, I'll let you know.

                                  Best,
                                  Caroline

                                  — Canine healthcare books —