Winter question

  • sable_bp
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2005
      Once the weather warms up Armellaria and oyster and some other
      mushrooms may still be found, but not in the quanity and variety we
      have during the warm weather.

      Therefore, I would like to take some time over the next several months
      to ask some questions about your experiences and relate them to things
      I have observed in mushrooming. Through doing this I hope to find out
      if my experiences tend to be the rule rather than the exception.

      Over a number of years, I have noticed that on trees that have produced
      one or more Sparassis that sometime after a number of years producing
      Sparassis, that tree will produce jack o lanterns in or about the same
      place on the tree. Once the jack o lantern start growing the Sparassis
      tend not be be found again or at least not very often.

      Have any of you found similar circumstances?

      Big John
    • James Tunney
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2005
        Once the mica caps and dryad's saddle start fruiting on a dead elm I don't
        find any morels under it

        Jim

        >From: "sable_bp" <sable_bp@...>
        >To: wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [wpamushroomclub] Winter question
        >Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:12:23 -0000
        >

        >Once the weather warms up Armellaria and oyster and some other
        >mushrooms may still be found, but not in the quanity and variety we
        >have during the warm weather.
        >
        >Therefore, I would like to take some time over the next several months
        >to ask some questions about your experiences and relate them to things
        >I have observed in mushrooming. Through doing this I hope to find out
        >if my experiences tend to be the rule rather than the exception.
        >
        >Over a number of years, I have noticed that on trees that have produced
        >one or more Sparassis that sometime after a number of years producing
        >Sparassis, that tree will produce jack o lanterns in or about the same
        >place on the tree. Once the jack o lantern start growing the Sparassis
        >tend not be be found again or at least not very often.
        >
        >Have any of you found similar circumstances?
        >
        >Big John

      • dave
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2005
          --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@y...>
          wrote:

          > Once the weather warms up Armellaria and oyster and some other
          > mushrooms may still be found, but not in the quanity and variety
          we
          > have during the warm weather.
          >
          > Therefore, I would like to take some time over the next several
          months
          > to ask some questions about your experiences and relate them to
          things
          > I have observed in mushrooming. Through doing this I hope to find
          out
          > if my experiences tend to be the rule rather than the exception.
          >
          > Over a number of years, I have noticed that on trees that have
          produced
          > one or more Sparassis that sometime after a number of years
          producing
          > Sparassis, that tree will produce jack o lanterns in or about the
          same
          > place on the tree. Once the jack o lantern start growing the
          Sparassis
          > tend not be be found again or at least not very often.
          >
          > Have any of you found similar circumstances?
          >
          > Big John

          John,
          Here in TN, I find Sparassis usually associated with pine trees. I
          have found a couple associated with oak, but mainly pine. I believe
          it to be a matter of what the fungi in a region has evolved, so it
          can take advantage of the food source. I know you guys up north
          find Morels around dead or dying elms. I have yet to find them here
          associated with elms. I find them under poplar and old apple trees,
          they could be there and it's just that I have never found them that
          way. I guess it's all the differences and different kinds that keep
          me interested.
          Dave
        • aminitam
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2005
            Cool, I thought that Sparassis under pines was a Western USA thing.

            I have found Sparassis under a tree that for three years running
            there were Jack-o-latterns under and no Sparassis.

            Jim

            --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "dave" <ozone10ec@c...>
            wrote:

            > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Once the weather warms up Armellaria and oyster and some other
            > > mushrooms may still be found, but not in the quanity and variety
            > we
            > > have during the warm weather.
            > >
            > > Therefore, I would like to take some time over the next several
            > months
            > > to ask some questions about your experiences and relate them to
            > things
            > > I have observed in mushrooming. Through doing this I hope to
            find
            > out
            > > if my experiences tend to be the rule rather than the
            exception.

            > > Over a number of years, I have noticed that on trees that have
            > produced
            > > one or more Sparassis that sometime after a number of years
            > producing
            > > Sparassis, that tree will produce jack o lanterns in or about
            the
            > same
            > > place on the tree. Once the jack o lantern start growing the
            > Sparassis
            > > tend not be be found again or at least not very often.
            > >
            > > Have any of you found similar circumstances?
            > >
            > > Big John
            > >
            > John,
            > Here in TN, I find Sparassis usually associated with pine trees.
            > have found a couple associated with oak, but mainly pine. I
            believe
            > it to be a matter of what the fungi in a region has evolved, so it
            > can take advantage of the food source. I know you guys up north
            > find Morels around dead or dying elms. I have yet to find them
            here
            > associated with elms. I find them under poplar and old apple
            trees,
            > they could be there and it's just that I have never found them
            that
            > way. I guess it's all the differences and different kinds that
            keep
            > me interested.
            > Dave

          • Boletebill
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2005
              Hi Cauliflower fans.
                 My take on this has been that there's two species represented ...Sparassis herbstii(=S. spathularia) under oaks and S. crispa under conifers.  My memory tells me that these two look a bit different too and checking some reference I see Roody describe S.cripa as having thinner curlier leaves.  I've found them both both not nearly often enough.....
                                Bill Yule

              wrote:

              > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > Once the weather warms up Armellaria and oyster and some other
              > > mushrooms may still be found, but not in the quanity and variety
              > we
              > > have during the warm weather.
              > >
              > > Therefore, I would like to take some time over the next several
              > months
              > > to ask some questions about your experiences and relate them to
              > things
              > > I have observed in mushrooming.  Through doing this I hope to
              find
              > out
              > > if my experiences tend to be the rule rather than the
              exception.

              > > Over a number of years, I have noticed that on trees that have
              > produced
              > > one or more Sparassis that sometime after a number of years
              > producing
              > > Sparassis, that tree will produce jack o lanterns in or about
              the
              > same
              > > place on the tree.  Once the jack o lantern start growing the
              > Sparassis
              > > tend not be be found again or at least not very often.
              > >
              > > Have any of you found similar circumstances?
              > >
              > > Big John
              > >
              > John,
              > Here in TN, I find Sparassis usually associated with pine trees.
              > have found a couple associated with oak, but mainly pine.  I
              believe
              > it to be a matter of what the fungi in a region has evolved, so it
              > can take advantage of the food source.  I know you guys up north
              > find Morels around dead or dying elms.  I have yet to find them
              here
              > associated with elms.  I find them under poplar and old apple
              trees,
              > they could be there and it's just that I have never found them
              that
              > way.  I guess it's all the differences and different kinds that
              keep
              > me interested.
              > Dave

              Yahoo! Shopping