Re: Spore Identification 101

  • aminitam
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      I think the way you describe is the best. You can also scrape some
      on to a slide from whatever you have printed them on. If you are
      just looking at spores contamination is not a real big issue.
      Ussually the mushroom makes a lot of spores, if there is anything
      else there the mushroom spores will be easy to spot.

      --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "Glen plumley"
      <gplumley@a...> wrote:
      > Here's the deal:
      >
      > I am an avid mushroom collector who suffers from a rather severe
      Red/Green
      > color vision deficiency. I have tried a couple of identifications
      using
      > spore prints, but I can't safely gauge the many subtle hues.
      >
      > I have obtained a 400X microscope for spore identification and
      would
      > appreciate any tips on how to get a sample onto the slide without
      > contaminating the sample.
      >
      > I thought I might place the slide under the cap, and place a
      container over
      > both; in the same way I obtain a spore print.
      >
      > Is there a better way?
      >
      > Glen
    • Glen plumley
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        Thank you.  I'll let you know how I make out.

        Glen