Re: Mushrooms (are/were) up at Joe's House....Mo

  • bopjml
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
      Happy April Fool's Day.

      I don't know what John thought he saw in my yard. All I found
      were rocks that looked like mushrooms. John set the stage, but I
      assembled the props. My first "clue" in my previous e-mail was
      that "I cut them in half and dried them".

      After that things just kind of got out of hand. So look closely at my
      posted pictures. there as some small clues that you were being set
      up.

      Anyway, I'm sure that I've piqued everyone's interest and
      now we are all hopeful for a very fruitful and bountiful morel picking
      season…in a couple of weeks.

      ..,,..
      .---=-...
      .,,,.;-.=.
      .,-,+.,$+-%..
      .,-=,,.;%-/-,..
      -,-%-;%,;..%/,- .
      ..=-;,X/%-H;,X%=,.
      .-=---+,$=$+,X$+.-.
      .,;;-.%,=%,$/ +H$,-,
      ..;/+.=%;,$-/%;.XX-;,.
      .-//-,+%/,$/ /+ =X,//,.
      ,=;%.;$,-.%X.+//.$,-$=-
      =-=%,%X+=,;$+.++,%$-%/-
      -;;=-=+;-;HH%,;-,+=//%,-
      ;;/,,XX,-/$X%.;X/+;,/-/=.
      ==+.%X+-.,/XX.$$=+$=..@/,.
      .;/X-%%/,,..-X,=;%=X+;,$%=,
      //+=-$$+.=+/-.,$%,X%=;+$=-
      ,+;=,,;%X,+H@;+,X+=.--+-%;=
      ;;;,%=$/,=%X+%,,=.,@X,.+=;
      +;/;$=-,--%/;==HX/-X+/--,;
      =;-=%--/,$X$,-XX%=,=/=+%==,
      =++-%%/H=/X=,=$$/,;+;,$X;-- .
      =%+.;H/$=/X$,.-%$-/$+,==,-;,
      =$;--X;+,-H+,,,@XX-HX.%$-=--
      -;.$%/,-,;%+.-.=H$-X$-%+-+;-.
      =/,%%--$+/H.%H-,+/=X/,;X;%/-=
      -+-/%=,HX/;,X@==%%.H=H-;,/+--
      .%;;%%,$H;--X@%,-;-%;X-X--==-
      .+/;+X-/X%--+X$,XH+=,/-++X/==
      .+=+%H-,,+/+-;=-$$$.$X%+$$+-;
      /==$==/,//$;@H--XH/%$+-$$%-;
      -;==;+%;/++;X$+=+X/--=-+%//=
      /;-$HX+-+==/$+=-%%/+@%;/=+;
      /;;+%XX-%=/-==-/+H-;HX;;;+;
      ,/-+=+$=+/X$;+;$X+;-X%=;;+=
      ;%/%=%+;;%H/%=X$,X=%%===/-
      -/+%+;+=+/$$;;$+=+-+/%+;;.
      .;+/X/==X%/$$+///%=+;/%;=
      -//%%%//+/;/+;/;+;-=;+;
      .=/;+$$;;;/;/=;,;/=;=/,
      .=/////==/+,,=.,;==-=
      =+$+%$%-= .= .,.,--
      .. .;-,,., .. ,,- .
      ,=,, .. .,,
      .-,. . .,
      .,. . .-. .
      ,, . ., .
      ,,.. . ., . ..
      . .-,, ., . ..
      ,-, ., . ..
      .=. ., . ..
      . ; ., . ..
      . . ,- .., , .
      . .. -. .., . .
      .. .- .., . .. .
      .. ,, ., . ,
      .. .,. . . ., . , ..
      .. ,, . . . ., . ., ..
      , ,. . ., . ... . ..
      . ,.- . .-. . .,. .. .
      . .- - .. . .. ,= ,, . .-, , . .
      . . ..- , . .,,,=,-. .--, , .
      ,. ,- .,, . - . ..--+=-, ,. .,. ..
      .-, -- ,-. , .. ,,++=-.. .,. .. .
      .-, .. ,=. .. . , ..;+=--..,,.... .
      .,.. .-- . , , . ./-,=,,,,, ,
      . . ..,,, ., , , -. /;---==-. .,... .
      .. , .,.., ,; , . ,, /++;/=;=,--- . ..
      .. ., -, , -= . - ., ..=/;/=+%+-;-=,=;=;,... ,
      ,. = ,-... - ..- . .,,. X++;.,-/%=,-/+/,-. . ..-
      .. ,...= =,., - ,,. ,.. ,/@H$-=-.,//;;-... ,=. .=
      ..,.- -,=..- , ,. ,. . -+HHX%;/,.=%+;- -. ,=-.. ,
      .,,=,-=---. -. .-..,, ,-,/;@@X$%/+-;+=,,..,==. ..
      . ., ,----,;==;,. -. .-,.,,,,,=;=,/+;$@$@X+;+/,=,---,,,, ..
      .. .,.---;/-++/XX$.- -=,.;;-;+++/--,//+X$/+/=+=--,=;--,,,,,,
      ....,,=,-+//+/=+%XX+.,/=,,+;;%/;+==/;;+/=+/;X-;;-==;=---,-...

      --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "aminitam" <aminitam@h...>
      wrote:

      > I have been looking at crocus this week. I should have been looking
      in
      > morel hunters yards.
      >
      > Mushroom dreams don't keep me up.I dreamed of finding morels right
      > after this. They were under syca-
      > more. I haven't found them under sycamore. I think I may this year.
    • C. James Strutz
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
        Joe and John,

        I volunteer my time and resources to benefit our mushroom club as many of
        our members do. I agreed to do the morel progression maps in good faith that
        the information that people give me is true and accurate. You had me put up
        a map as part of your joke, wasting my time and effort, and getting the
        hopes up of many of us that morels might actually be found early this year.
        I don't share your sense of humor.

        Later,
        Jim

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
          Perhaps I should have had my wife take a photo of me crawing around
          in the front yard on all fours, among the crocus, propping up
          split/dried morels with toothpicks after John's comments that there
          were mor...s in my front yard.

          Now I've fallen victum to my on own joke and I have to take at least
          a short walk into the woods just to see what's going on. I doubt
          that I'll find anyting of value or interest but I'll still take my
          gps and camera just for fun.

          Sorry that you had to put some effort into the map and took offense
          but the more folks you can draw into an April Fool's joke the better
          it is.

          Joe

          --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "C. James Strutz"
          <strutzj@y...> wrote:
          > Joe and John,
          >
          > I volunteer my time and resources to benefit our mushroom club as
          many of
          > our members do. I agreed to do the morel progression maps in good
          faith that
          > the information that people give me is true and accurate. You had
          me put up
          > a map as part of your joke, wasting my time and effort, and getting
          the
          > hopes up of many of us that morels might actually be found early
          this year.
          > I don't share your sense of humor.
          >
          > Later,
          > Jim
          >

          > > Happy April Fool's Day.
          >
          > > I don't know what John thought he saw in my yard. All
          > > I found were rocks that looked like mushrooms. John
          > > set the stage, but I assembled the props. My first
          > > "clue" in my previous e-mail was that "I cut them in half
          > > and dried them".
          >
          > > After that things just kind of got out of hand. So look
          > > closely at my posted pictures. there as some small clues
          > > that you were being set up.
          >
          > > Anyway, I'm sure that I've piqued everyone's interest and
          > > now we are all hopeful for a very fruitful and bountiful
          > > morel picking season.in a couple of weeks.
        • verytass
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
            Unless you consider the "Verpas" the early morels:

            http://www.exploringthenorth.com/morel/mush.html

            as some do.

            --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@y...>
            wrote:

            > I saw dafodills blooming in a natural setting today. It is another
            > good sign that we are getting closer. Don't forget that the first
            > morels to usually appear are the black morels.
            >
            > Big John

          • sable_bp
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
              Hey Joe,

              How about going out and looking again. If they are still there, take
              a picture of them, if you can find them. Remember they are very
              small. Post the picture on groups.

              I didn't read John's email close enough and now think after re-
              reading it and how small the mushrooms are, that my guess of Mori
              Polyporus is probably wrong.

              I am now thinking that it is some type of small asco. The Mori's cap
              is listed as 2-8 centimeters wide.

              Big John

              --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "verytass" <verytass@y...>
              wrote:

              > Unless you consider the "Verpas" the early morels:
              >
              > http://www.exploringthenorth.com/morel/mush.html
              >
              > as some do.
              >

              > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > I saw dafodills blooming in a natural setting today. It is
              another
              > > good sign that we are getting closer. Don't forget that the
              first
              > > morels to usually appear are the black morels.
              > >
              > > Big John

            • John
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 1, 2005
                I really did find mushrooms at Joe's house. Just in case anyone
                wondered I did not pick them. They were growing right on top of a
                rail road tie that was touching his sidewalk. The mushrooms were
                Mollisia probably close to Mollisia cinerea. They are very small,
                and easy to miss, less that 1/8 inch wide and are sort of cup or disc
                shapped. Mollisia has a look-alike that I often find called Tapesia,
                a microscope is often needed to tell them apart. The Morels that Kim
                and I ate came from California. I put some photos of them in the
                photo section of this group. Morels are now being collected there
                and often come up in mulched areas. It shure would be different to
                collect morels in mulch at walmart or in the mulched areas at the
                McDonalds drive through.
                John III

                <strutzj@y...> wrote:

                > > I'm still not ready to head into the woods. I don't think that
                > > conditions are right yet. When I dug out my horseradish
                > > during Holy Week to prepare hrin for the Easter basket
                > > there was still traces of snow in the orchard. My rhubarb
                > > is coming up, but I've yet to see an asparagus spear poking
                > > above the mulch in the garden. Rhubarb is a good sign but
                > > asparagus is better. However that being said, check this
                > > out...
                >
                > Joe, very cool. I wonder if you could take a ground temperature
                reading
                > where the morels came up. It would be interesting to know.
                Sometimes the
                > ground is a little warmer close to a house or sidewalk. I agree
                that it
                > seems too early to head into the woods, but I'll admit that I took
                a quick
                > look around a couple of elm trees near my house yesterday - no sign
                of
                > anything coming up.
                >
                > Also, I would like to hear from more experienced folks about what
                their
                > thoughts are on finding morels this early in the season. Does it
                say
                > anything about the rest of the season? Or is it some freak thing
                that
                > doesn't necessarily mean anything?
                >
                > As for whatever "mo" mushrooms John saw at Joe's house whether they
                were
                > morels or something else, maybe he could just tell us so we might
                spot them
                > when we are out. We have no idea what he saw...
              • bopjml
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                  My sincere apologies to all of you serious morel hunters and
                  mycologists.

                  I'm still somewhat amazed that so many fell for it hook, line and
                  sinker. Had John not set the stage with his posting, then I probably
                  wouldn't have even had the idea. Some people are upset, some think
                  it funny. A good April fool's joke plays on the flaws of human
                  nature and I used the overwhelming desire to find that first morel.
                  There were a lot of clues in the postings that it was an April Fool's
                  day prank, including the statement that "I was not going to head out
                  into the woods to look for morels." The only morels that I mentioned
                  were the "ones" that mysteriously appeared in my front yard. The
                  weather itself, as well as the other harbingers of spring/morels are
                  not present. There are no violets, dandelions, may apples, forsythia
                  or other signs that the morels should be fruiting. I guess I just
                  assumed that no one would take it serious for any amount of time,
                  especially anyone who had hunted for morels before, because it was
                  obvious to me that there just couldn't be any morels around and I've
                  only been hunting for morels for two years. I would not have played
                  such a prank if we were closer to the appearance of morels in this
                  area. It was not intended as a cruel hoax, just an innocent April
                  Fool's joke that played on the desire to be the first to find a
                  morel. I see that my joke did do the one thing I wanted, which was
                  have everyone looking forward to hunting for morels.

                  I was pleased that so many of you visited my "On The Stump" web
                  site. In the future you'll find more bits of news and my ramblings
                  about mushrooms, my garden and other bats that fly out of my belfry.

                  You can be assured that all future morel sightings that I post will
                  be legitimate.

                  This month's WPMC meeting, on the third Tuesday of April (the 19th)
                  at Beechwood Farms, will be all about finding and identifying morels
                  and avoiding the poisonous look alikes.

                  Joe
                  --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "bopjml" <president@w...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 3, 2005
                    Joe,

                    Glad to hear that so many people visited your On the Stump Web site.
                    Just for our knowledge, how many people did?

                    Big John