Mushrooms still out there

  • sable_bp
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
      Yesterday, Larry Whalen and I were out and found 6 different spots
      that had Shaggy Manes. We also found small amounts of scattered
      horse mushrooms. Suillis are abundant and seem to be everywhere pine
      trees are. The season is not over yet.

      Big John
    • C. James Strutz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
        > Yesterday, Larry Whalen and I were out and found 6 different spots
        > that had Shaggy Manes. We also found small amounts of scattered
        > horse mushrooms. Suillis are abundant and seem to be everywhere pine
        > trees are. The season is not over yet.

        Thanks for the update. I've been looking for hens and parasols but haven't
        seen much lately. Needless to say I haven't been in pine forests so I
        haven't seen any suillus either. I found a few horse mushrooms in my dad's
        yard the other day and some deadly galerinas growing on a log nearby. Also
        saw several earthstars growing near a hollowed out oak stump. Earthstars
        remind me of Goober's hat for some reason. Several times I have found hens
        inside hollow stumps late in the season, so I looked inside. An adolescent
        racooon curled on the ground stared back at me. It wanted to be left alone
        to sleep so I left. I wondered if there had been a hen inside that stump -
        how I could have safely gotten that racoon out of there....
      • aminitam
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
          I'm still finding brick caps and wine caps, on wood chips. I also
          found a shaggy parasol. One Lepiota naucina they taste pretty good
          like a cross between a parasol and a shaggy parasol. I've been
          watching these things come up for 6 years now, and it took me that
          long to get the courage up to try them.

          I also found Gymnopilus aeruginosus, and another gym that has similar
          coloring, but is smaller and has a thinner equal stem, and a spore
          print that is brighter lighter orange and gills that are brighter
          lighter orange, that grows in groups, but not clusters, that I'm not
          sure what it is. Both were found on wood chips.

          I still haven't found any blewits, I know they are out there and I've
          found them as late as Christmas in mild years.