Chickens and Hens, oh my!

  • cesnales
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      I have come to a couple of forays, and with the exception of Morels
      I have made it my policy not to eat any mushroom unless I have
      collected it on a foray and have had the opportunity to discuss
      diagnostic characteristics with some of the more experienced folks.

      While on the foray at Knob Hill park in Cranberrry, I noted the
      remnants of what appeared to be old hens and chicken mushrooms. I
      re-visited those locations today and found several nice Hens (I have
      purchased these commercially and am comfortable with the ID) and a
      very nice cluster of chicken of the woods (3-4 lbs). Using the
      Audobon guide as well as "Mushrooms of West Virginia and the Central
      Appalacians" by Roody, I am about 99% sure of the ID. I am still
      waiting for a good spore print to form.

      I have attached a couple of photos. The first is the top surface of
      one of the mushrooms, the second is the pore surface. The pic does
      not do the color of the pore surface justice. It is bright yellow
      with no apparent pores to the unaided eye. Is anyone comfortable
      confirming the ID from these pics? The mushrooms will be kept in my
      refrigerator while I ponder recipes and await some sage advice.
      Hmmm... sage? I am thinking a nice mushroom stuffing!<g>.

      http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8d63ffea/bc/cc14/__sr_/5ebc.jpg?
      ph8ObXBBIps.xlWC

      http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8d63ffea/bc/cc14/__sr_/1ae1.jpg?
      ph8ObXBBYUKPRBwN

      Here is a pic of a couple of the hens. A bit small, but in very
      good shape. I left several behind that were dried out and buggy.

      http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8d63ffea/bc/cc14/__sr_/3b92.jpg?
      ph8ObXBBcBMHsmS1

      Thanks as always for the great advice and assistance.

      Adam