Hen-of-the-Woods recipe

  • Jim Strutz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      Wendy and I often spend long days traveling someplace, hunting for
      mushrooms, and traveling back home. Sometimes we camp overnight. We
      usually take along easy snack food to keep us going; stuff like:
      hummus, carrots, celery, nuts, lettuce wraps, etc. Sometimes we take
      something a little more sophisticated when the occasion calls for it.
      This salad recipe uses hens-of-the-woods and travels well in a
      covered container for road trips.

      Kamut Salad with Hen-of-the-Woods Mushrooms*

      1 cup kamut + 3-1/4 cups water (or vegetable stock)
      1 cup edamame beans
      1-1/2 cups hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, chopped
      1 carrot, grated
      1/2 cup parsley, chopped
      1/2 cup scallion greens, chopped
      olive oil, for sauteing
      oil & vinegar salad dressing, to taste
      salt, pepper, to taste

      Bring the water to a boil. While the water is boiling, add the
      edamame and boil for 5 minutes. Scoop out the edamame with a handled
      strainer and reserve. Add the kamut to the water and reduce heat to
      simmer, cover. Simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 1-1/2
      hours. Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil in a non-stick pan until
      hot. Add the hen-of-the-woods mushrooms and saute until cooked
      through and browned. Combine cooked kamut, mushrooms, edamame,
      carrots, parsley, and scallions in a container and toss lightly with
      the salad dressing. Season to taste.

      * Kamut is the Egyptian word for "wheat" and is one of the original
      ancient grains. Edamame is the Japanese word for green soy beans.
      Together, they provide a lot of high quality protein. Additionally,
      the kamut and the hen-of-the-woods mushrooms go really well together
      with their mild, earthy flavors. They can, however, be hard to find
      outside of natural food stores. Other grains and legumes can be
      substituted if necessary.