CHT HR violation news from Bangladesh

  • mithunlinguistics
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      `I will spray bullets like rain' – says an army officer

      HR Monitoring Cell, UPDF, 1 June 2006

      An army officer in Khagrachari threatened to rain down bullets from
      his automatic weapon after a Jumma fish vendor demanded a fare price.

      On 28 May at around 7:30 a.m. Subedar Rahim and his soldiers from
      Dewan Para Army camp in Bhaibone Chara went to the road side shops in
      Shib Mondir area. People from nearby villages regularly sell variety
      of articles here – ranging from vegetable and forest produces to fish
      and meat, making it a virtual market place.

      The army commander took some Kgs of fish from Binimoy Chakma (45) s/o
      Nabin Mohan Chakma and wanted to go away without paying. Mr. Chakma
      protested and the army man paid only Taka 70 for each kg, which is
      half the actual price.

      Mr. Chakma implored him to pay in full. But the commander refused and
      threatened to kill him. `I know lots of extortion take place here and
      I have got secret information that you are also involved in such
      criminal activities. So do not irritate me. I will spray bullets like
      rain' warned the army Subedar.

      The thing everyone holds dear is his or her own life. Binimoy Chakma
      at once realized that his life was more precious than the price of
      the fish. So he kept quite and let the commander go away. In fact, he
      had no other option than to do this. The military is all in all in
      CHT and they can do and undo everything.

      CHT NEWS NO. 102. Prepared by Human Rights Monitoring Cell, United
      Peoples' Democratic Front (UPDF). 1 June 2006. Website:
      www.updfcht.org

      Army raid house at Shib Mondir, Khagrachari

      HR Monitoring Cell, UPDF, 1 June 2006

      On the night of 29 May, a group of army men from Giriphul Army camp
      raided a house at Rubber Plantation No. 5 in Shib Mondir, about 12
      kilometers from Khagrachari district town in Northern Chittagong Hill
      Tracts.

      The soldiers searched the house of Goladhan Chakma and found a copy
      each of the Hill Students Council's constitution, PCP publication Ami
      Bidrohi (I am a rebel) and a Chakma language newspaper the
      Abhangpang, which is published irregularly by some Jumma students in
      Dhaka.

      The army officer who led the operation asked who read those
      literatures and when Goladhan Chakma's son Mano Ranjan Chakma (28)
      said he read them, the army commander advised him not to read such
      things.

      "Why read these things? It is the terrorists who read such kind of
      publications. You will face difficulties if you continue to read
      them", warned the army men.

      He also tried to take him and his two other friends, Dabo Jyoti
      Chakma s/o Krishna Chakma and Ereng Chakma s/o Birendra Chakma who
      were sleeping in his house, away to the camp. But the other members
      of the house resisted and the commander finally asked them to appear
      in the camp the next morning.

      The three of them went to the Giriphul Army camp the following
      morning and met with the commander.

      CHT NEWS NO. 101. Prepared by Human Rights Monitoring Cell, United
      Peoples' Democratic Front (UPDF). 1 June 2006. Website: www.updfcht.or