"Countering Terrorism; NOT" - RHINO'S BLOG 2/1/05

  • Rhino
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2005
      "Countering Terrorism; NOT" - RHINO'S BLOG 2/1/05
      "Countering Terrorism; NOT"  - RHINO'S BLOG  2/1/05

      FEATURED ARTICLES
      - Alberto Gonzales Resource Page, People For The American Way
      - Whitman: GOP Foiled Security Efforts, The Star-Ledger
      - Ten Years Later, by Richard Clarke, Atlantic Monthly

      QUOTE OF THE DAY
       "The war in Vietnam is going well & will succeed."
      - - US Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara  (January 31, 1963)

      KNOW YOUR HISTORY - February 1st
      1876 -- US Secretary of Interior notifies Secretary of War that time given to "hostile" Sioux & Cheyenne Indians to abandon their villages & come into US agencies had expired; it was now a military matter.
      1902 -- Poet/author Langston Hughes ("I, Too, Sing America") is born (1902-1967), in Joplin, Missouri. Part of the Harlem Renaissance, known as "the poet laureate of Harlem."
      1968 -- Famous photo of the Saigon police chief Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Viet Cong officer with a pistol shot to the head.
      1970 --  Germany: West German news magazine "Stern" reveals that US has targeted 1,000 civilian locations in the Middle East in the event of a nuclear war.

      RHINO SEZ:
      First off - important action you can take to help stop George Dubya Bush's nominee to the position of Attorney General . Call or write your U.S. Senators now. As it sits right now, his confirmation is in bigger trouble than anyone expected. Gonzales was so evasive during the Senate's confirmation hearing that several previously-supportive members of the Judiciary Committee changed their minds. 8 committee Democrats voted against Gonzales' confirmation & his support in the full Senate appears to be slipping. The full Senate vote which will decide if Gonzales becomes our nation's chief law-enforcement officer is likely to take place on Thursday (Feb 3rd).  Contact your senators now to let them know we don't want an Attorney General who provided legal justifications for torture & dodged when asked about his positions on basic principles of human rights and the rule of law.   Want more reasons to write? Check out the...

      Alberto Gonzales Resource Page
      People For The American Way
      http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=17497

      Considering all the "LIBERTIES" the shrub gang is taking to have their "FREEDOM" to imprison without attorney or trial, "FREEDOM" to torture, and the "FREEDOM" to thumb their noses at International laws of any catagory they deem necessary to fight their supposed war on terrorism, considering all that, some would think they  are doing everything they can to protect the American people from terrorist attacks.  But a reading of the 2 articles I've excerpted & linked below show that's just not so.

      First, a look at the new book by former New Jersey Governor Christie Whitman in which she emphasizes how Republican lawmakers and chemicle industry reps have worked together to quash legislative efforts to clean up urban chemicle storage sites.

      Then, Rhino's Bottom Line is a shocking look into the future by an undisputable leading expert on counterterrorism, Richard A. Clarke in which he envisions making a speech, 10 years after 9/11/01. In this address, he imagines the future history of the war on terror. Frightening, & an indictment of all the shrub gang is not doing to quell the causes and the potentials of terror against the U.S.

      (\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/) >(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/) (\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)

      Whitman: GOP Foiled Security Efforts
      By Alexander Lane, The Star-Ledger, Friday 28 January 2005

      Book says legislators helped lobbyists defeat rules for chemical plants.
      Industry lobbyists worked with key Republican lawmakers to sabotage new security regulations for chemical plants after the 9/11 attacks, Christie Whitman alleges in her new book. Many chemical plants, including dozens in New Jersey, could release toxic clouds that could kill tens or even hundreds of thousands of people in the case of an attack or a major malfunction. Their security became a prime concern of experts after 9/11, but proposed regulations requiring safety measures failed to pass in Congress.  In her new book, "It's My Party Too," former New Jersey Gov. Whitman, who was head of the Environmental Protection Agency as the debate raged in Congress and the Bush administration -- placed the blame squarely at the feet of chemical-industry lobbyists and congressional Republicans...

      MORE AT:
      >http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1106925338161590.xml?starledger?nnj

      (\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/) >(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/) (\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)

      Don't miss Clarke's Documentation Notes at the end of this story. Very important stuff.

      RHINO'S BOTTOM LINE
      Ten Years Later
      by Richard Clarke, Atlantic Monthly, January 2005

       "Then the second wave of al-Qaeda attacks hit America." A leading expert on counterterrorism imagines the future history of the war on terror. A frightening picture of a country still at war in 2011 by Richard A. Clarke

      This is a transcript of the Tenth Anniversary 9/11 Lecture Sunday, September 11, 2011 John F. Kennedy School of Government Cambridge, Massachusetts Professor Roger McBride

      Dean, Honored Guests,
      It is a great honor to be chosen to give this tenth-anniversary lecture. This year, more than at any other time since the beginning of the war on terror, I think we can see clearly how that war has changed our country. Now that the terror seems finally to have receded somewhat, perhaps we can begin to consider the steps necessary to return the United States to what it was before 9/11. To do so, however, we must be clear about what has happened over the past ten years. Thus tonight I will dwell on the history of the war on terror.

      2001-2004: The Response to 9/11
      Having ignored al-Qaeda until September 11, 2001, President George W. Bush responded to the attack in three ways. First, he ordered an end to the terrorist sanctuary in Afghanistan. For five years thereafter a token U.S. military force assisted the Kabul government in its attempts to rule the warlords and suppress the Taliban and al-Qaeda. Second, he moved to strengthen U.S. domestic law enforcement with the first Patriot Act (a law that civil libertarians would find benign from today's perspective) and the Department of Homeland Security, which in those early years of the war on terror was largely ineffectual.1 Third, Bush ordered the ill-fated invasion and occupation of Iraq, which effectively turned his administration into an active recruiting office for al-Qaeda and other jihadi groups around the world...

      READ IT ALL AT: http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=82133

      (\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/) >(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/) (\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)(\o/)

      Rhino's Blog is the responsibility of Gary Rhine.
      Feedback & requests to be added or deleted from the list are encouraged. (rhino@...)
      See The Latest Greatest Political Cartoons
           While You Read Rhino's Blog AT : http://www.rhinosblog.info

      Rhino's Other Web Sites:
      http://www.dreamcatchers.org  (Indigenous Assistance & Intercultural Dialog)
      http://www.kifaru.com  (Native American Relations Video Documentaries)

      Articles  are reprinted under Fair Use Doctrine of international copyright law.
      http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html  All copyrights belong to original publisher.