[worlds-indigenous-people] Discoverers Day in Hawaii

  • Tuti Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 1999
      Let's put "discoverer's day" in perspective". Ancestors were migrating
      across Te Moana Nui (the Pacific ocean) centuries before Columbus dared to
      cross the Atlantic. On October 9 the voyaging canoe Hokulea completed her
      historic voyage to RapaNui. For 25 years Hawaiians and our cousins from
      Rarotonga, Aotearoa, the Marquesas, Tahiti, and master navigators from
      Satawal have been sailing the Pacific using traditional Wayfinding
      techniques to honor the ancestors and put to rest Western academics and
      others who insist that the ancient migrations could not have been conscious
      journeys of discovery. Hokulea has confirmed what our oral history tells us.

      More information about Hokulea can be found at leahi.kcc.edu/org/pvs.

      aloha, tuti baker
      ----------

    • Judy Ann Nuualiitia
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 1999
        RETENTION IN EDUCATION FOR ALL INDIGENOUS NATIONS

        CALL FOR PROPOSALS

        R.E.T.A.I.N. 2000

        "Expanding the Vision Into the New Millennium"

        A Conference dedicated to improving retention rates of Indigenous Peoples
        in Higher Education

        April 27 to April 30, 2000
        The University of NOrthern British Columbia
        Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

        RETAIN 2000 is the fifth annual conference, and first international
        conference to discuss and share retention strategies for North American
        Aboriginal students. "Keeping the Vision" at the University of Arizona
        (1996) brought together retention practitioners and staff to develop the
        tools to take the vision to action. "Sharing the Visiton" at Arizona
        State University (1997) expanded the national conference to include
        students, staff, faculty and community colleges. The focus included
        partnership and transfer strategies between community/tribal colleges and
        universities. "Embracing the Vision" at Northern Arizona University
        (1998) expanded the program to include a youth day that encouraged more
        outreach to high school students. The focus emphasized partnerships
        between universities and local Native American communities. "Advancing
        the Vision to the Year 2000 and beyond" at the University of Arizona,
        continued to emphasize the importance of community and youth involvement.

        RETAIN 2000 will continue to build upon the framework of previous years
        and futher refining topic categaories to include a focus on "Northern and
        Remote Educational Issues".

        Please join us for information sharing, collaboration, networking and
        strategic planning.

        RETAIN 2000 welcomes all, University, College and High School
        Administrators, Retention Researchers, First Nation Education
        Administrators, Chief and Councils, Parents and Post Secondary students to
        the Fifth Annual conference on Retention in Education Today For all
        Indigenous Nations.

        Please check out our website for more information.

        http://www.res.unbc.ca/Retain2000/

        It should be an awesome conference...if anyone is interested in attending,
        you can check the above website for details on registration.

        Blessings from,

        Judy Nuualiitia
        Northern Advancement Program
        Liaison Officer