Resources for Sinitic languages

  • lingwadeplaneta
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2010
      One of the ways to import more words from Chinese can be using the forms from Cantonese or other Sinitic languages. For Cantonese I usually use this:
      http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-can/

      Does anyone use any good resourses for other Sinitic languages? (where you can insert a hanzi and find how it is pronouned)
    • <deinx nxtxr>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2010
        lingwadeplaneta wrote:
        > One of the ways to import more words from Chinese can be using the
        > forms from Cantonese or other Sinitic languages. For Cantonese I
        > usually use this: http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-can/
        >
        > Does anyone use any good resourses for other Sinitic languages?
        > (where you can insert a hanzi and find how it is pronouned)

        I haven't done much conlanging recently but this was always my favorite
        Chinese resource.

        http://www.mandarintools.com/chardict_u8.html

        There was another one out there that I lost the URL to where you could
        looke up characters and get their pronunciations in many Sinitic
        languages, but also had Japanese and ISTR Vietnamese and Korean too.
      • cafaristeir
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2010
          Hao dey kare Dmitry !

          Here you can get pronounciation of the isolated Hanzi:
          http://www.chine-nouvelle.com/outils/dictionnaire.html

          Olivier
          http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/
        • lingwadeplaneta
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2010
            --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, "<deinx nxtxr>" <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:

            > lingwadeplaneta wrote:
            > > One of the ways to import more words from Chinese can be using the
            > > forms from Cantonese or other Sinitic languages. For Cantonese I
            > > usually use this: http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-can/
            > >
            > > Does anyone use any good resourses for other Sinitic languages?
            > > (where you can insert a hanzi and find how it is pronouned)
            >
            > I haven't done much conlanging recently but this was always my favorite
            > Chinese resource.
            >
            > http://www.mandarintools.com/chardict_u8.html

            A good one indeed, it gives Mandarin and Cantonese a once.

            > There was another one out there that I lost the URL to where you could
            > looke up characters and get their pronunciations in many Sinitic
            > languages, but also had Japanese and ISTR Vietnamese and Korean too.

            That's what I'm looking for.

            So far I've found Quanzhou:
            http://solution.cs.ucla.edu/~jinbo/dzl/lookup.php

            and Taiwanese:
            http://203.64.42.21/iug/ungian/SoannTeng/chil/chha.asp
          • Risto Kupsala
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14, 2010
              lingwadeplaneta kirjoitti:
              > One of the ways to import more words from Chinese can be using the forms from Cantonese or other Sinitic languages.

              There are many good Cantonese dictionaries. It is difficult to find
              resources for the other languages, though I am sure that mastery of
              written Chinese would would help a lot.

              For the Shanghai dialect the best one that I have found on-line is this
              one, but it concentrates on dialectal words and expressions:
              http://www.shanghaidialect.com/slangs/htm/search.aspx

              > Does anyone use any good resourses for other Sinitic languages? (where you can insert a hanzi and find how it is pronouned)

              It is not always reliable because the other Chinese languages sometimes
              use completely different words.

              Also it would be interesting to see how words are pronounced in
              different Mandarin dialects, because some of them are in fact larger
              than Wu and Cantonese.

              --
              Risto Kupsala
              http://www.kupsala.net/risto