Re: Another change

  • lingwadeplaneta
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
      --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, "lingwadeplaneta" <lingwadeplaneta@...> wrote:

      > --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, steve rice <ansric@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- On Tue, 11/24/09, lingwadeplaneta <lingwadeplaneta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > From: lingwadeplaneta <lingwadeplaneta@>
      > > >
      > > > --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com,

      > > > cases:

      > > > remember seeing
      > > > besides

      > > > that the words are pronounced separately. And "n" wouldn't
      > > > be a proper word in English (in rock-n-roll it's just a
      > > > contraction of "and"). But you would never see a hyphen with
      > > > "p", because you can't pronounce "p" as a word. It would
      > > > seem like an acronym. I think it would be more common to use
      > > > an apostrophe in that case.
      > >
      > > In English, "basa-n" would be pronounced "basa en"--using the letter name. An apostrophe would be more common, though technically (if -ney still exists) it would follow: basa n'.
      >
      > Indeed basa-n' will be better. Danke!

      After some thinking I think that spellings like basa-n' are doomed to transform into just basan. So I guess one may allow to contract "ney" into just "n" after vowels:
      surya => suryan
      kitaba => kitaban

      Similar to Finnish. Or to Mongolian where genitive markers also contain /n/, some of them being niy, ni, n.