Stress as grammatical marker - an idea for NP

  • Dmitri Ivanov
    Message 1 of 48 , May 7, 2009
      Yu aca, Jens

      I know that you'd like to have verbs and nouns of the same form. Sometimes it can lead to difficulties. What if just change stress, not word form. E.g., using a double vowel for marking stress on the last syllable:
      ale - to go
      alee - going, course
      mana - to mean
      manaa - meaning
      So you could have sentences like
      Ta kanta kantaa - he/she sings a song.

      Canti
    • <deinx nxtxr>
      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 19, 2009
        Jens Wilkinson wrote:

        > --- On Sat, 9/19/09, hctr76 <hctr76@...> wrote:
        >
        >> However, if this is work, the stress would need to be placed on
        >> the next-to-the-last syllable/vowel, not on the first syllable
        >> as currently NP proposes.� Otherwise, "KANtaa" and "KANta"
        >> would not sound much different.�"TA KANta KANta" does sound
        >> quite different from "TA KANta kanTAa"� I really like the sound
        >> of the latter.�
        >>

        > As usual, I should make clear that though I've suggested using
        > the next-to-the-last syllable stress in all cases, this is just
        > an idea of how to use words, and if people experiment with using
        > a different stress for nouns and verbs, I would be interested to
        > see what happens. If it becomes acceptable by a wide group of
        > users, I will be happy to include it in the description of the
        > language.

        Shifting stress isn't a good idea. Fixed stress is good for a
        parsing aid.