Personal pronouns

  • Risto Kupsala
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 5, 2009
      Hi fellows,

      I have two alternative sets for Pandunia's personal pronouns and I'm asking which you would prefer. The alternatives are:
      1. mi, tu, je
      2. me, ni, je

      Some of you might wonder about "je", well, it comes from Bantu languages (Swahili "yeye", Zulu "yena", etc.) and Hindi/Urdu "yeh" (this/he/she/it). I'm happy with it.

      I prefer "mi" for the first person and "ni" for the second person, but they sound too similar. Or do they? I'm confused because in Esperanto all pronouns rhyme (mi, ni, vi, li, ŝi, ĝi) and nobody cares... "Me" is just a way to circumvent this similarity, though it is a common first person pronoun as well in Indo-European languages.

      It seems that "tu" is considered intrusive in French, Spanish, Hindi, etc. if used by strangers. So some people might avoid using "tu" and that sounds like a big problem. Chinese "ni" doesn't have this problem at all.

      The plural pronouns will be derived from the singular pronouns.

      --
      Risto Kupsala
      http://www.kupsala.net/risto

      Pandunia - a cross-cultural IAL
      http://www.kupsala.net/risto/pandunia/

    • cafaristeir
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 9, 2009
        Swasti-gro !

        "leg" does really exist in Sambahsa, it means "act" (of Parliament in democratic states); "zakon" in Russian.
        but "law" in general, the rules you have to abide by, "la loi" is "loy".
        Thus we can say it is a regular Romance derivation : in + leg + al but the meaning has changed a little. Indeed, it can be considered an international word, it exists in Romance and English, and is used in German too (though the official word is "gesetzwidrig" or "rechtwidrig").
        The other international root would be "haram" but it is not limited to our western conception of non-religious law moreover, this word has given to us "harem" ("forbidden for males, except the owner and the eunuchs !" :-))). In Sambahsa, "haram" is listed as synonym of "illicit".

        Olivier
        http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/