Re: [worldlanglist] Re: Netlang

  • Jens Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
      On 2013/07/27, at 12:18, "orangev58" <orangev58@...> wrote:

      > The problem I have with spoken languages is that we don't really speak to anyone. The only real device we have to communicate to the whole world is the internet, and it's almost entirely text.

      I think that depends a bit on who you are. I work in a fairly international place, so I end up talking to people from a range of backgrounds, mostly Japanese but from around the world. We mostly speak in English because it's the default. So for me at least it's a practical issue.

      Jens
    • Stephen Rice
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
        On 7/26/13, orangev58 <orangev58@...> wrote:
        >> Personally I am in favor of spoken languages. I have made (still making)
        >> language called Pandunia together with Jens.
        >
        > Yeah I had a look at Pandunia, I like how clean it is.

        Risto dusts and disinfects it daily. He's a tidy guy.

        > The problem I have with spoken languages is that we don't really speak to
        > anyone. The only real device we have to communicate to the whole world is
        > the internet, and it's almost entirely text.

        But that's changing. Podcasts, Skype, and YouTube (and similar sites)
        are bringing an audio and even visual element to internet
        communication. Various auxlangs are already active in these areas,
        though currently the only worldlang with much of an audio-visual
        presence is LdP.

        > The internet affords us the ability to use a language without even fully
        > understanding it.

        Stupidity can have the same effect. I've seen people trying to use
        auxlangs they didn't understand--I've done it myself--and the result
        often isn't useful. Curiously, Esperanto, frequently dismissed as too
        complicated, withstands such abuse better than "simpler" languages
        such as LdP and Pandunia.

        With strict grammar very simple software could construct
        > sentences for us.

        If you want to be technical, you don't need an auxlang at all, then:
        use simple grammar, reasonably unambiguous words--and something like
        Google Translate.

        >> It is more pleasant to speak words, you know.
        >
        > I do agree with you. But I feel the auxlang problem is a practical problem.
        > It's not about art, or pleasure or personal preference. It's about what is
        > the simplest, most efficient way we can communicate ideas to the most number
        > of people with the minimum misunderstanding.

        Needs vary. Tourists have different needs than scholars (and scholar
        differs from scholar according to the specific field of study),
        businesspeople and journalists have unique needs, and so on. Some can
        get by with a kind of phrasebook; others need something more complex.
        Depending on the language's structure, a basic version for limited
        needs could be set up. Probably most people who need an auxlang at all
        could get by with a kind of phrasebook; only scholars are likely to
        need more.

        Steve
      • Dana Nutter
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 18, 2013
          Why am I on this list? I cancelled all my groups and closed my Yahoo
          account years ago.
        • Risto Kupsala
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 18, 2013
            18.8.2013 16:12, Dana Nutter wrote:
            > Why am I on this list? I cancelled all my groups and closed my Yahoo
            > account years ago.

            You must have subscribed with email only. Send email to
            worldlanglist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com. You will receive a
            confirmation message, reply that email and then you will be out of here.

            This group has been quiet for over a year but you used to be active here
            a few years ago.

            --Risto
          • Dana Nutter
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 25, 2013
              On 8/18/13 2:57 PM, Risto Kupsala wrote:
              > 18.8.2013 16:12, Dana Nutter wrote:
              >> Why am I on this list? I cancelled all my groups and closed my Yahoo
              >> account years ago.
              >
              > You must have subscribed with email only. Send email to
              > worldlanglist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com. You will receive a
              > confirmation message, reply that email and then you will be out of here.
              >
              > This group has been quiet for over a year but you used to be active here
              > a few years ago.
              >
              > --Risto

              Sorry didn't mean anything personal. One of the reasons I gave up on
              Yahoo were all the bugs and associated privacy leaks. Likewise why I
              gave up Fakebook, Google and all the rest.

              --
              ♂ Dana Nutter
              dana.nutter@...