Demos?

  • Dana Nutter
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
      Is anyone here still in the Demos IAL group on Yahoo? It looks like I
      lost all the materials at some point and have some people interested in
      a similar project.
    • Stephen Rice
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
        On 12/10/11, Dana Nutter <dana.nutter@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone here still in the Demos IAL group on Yahoo? It looks like I
        > lost all the materials at some point and have some people interested in
        > a similar project.

        I'm still a member.

        It's still open, and theoretically any member can still post. However,

        "Due to a weird technical problem in Yahoogroups, it is not possible
        to subscribe to the group directly (by sending a message to
        "demos-ial-subscribe@yahoogroups.com"). If you want to subscribe, send
        a message to demos-ial-owner at yahoogroups.com and I will send you by
        e-mail an invitation to join."

        So they can try that, if they wish.

        Steve
      • Dana Nutter
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
          On 12/10/2011 12:22 PM, Stephen Rice wrote:
          > On 12/10/11, Dana Nutter<dana.nutter@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Is anyone here still in the Demos IAL group on Yahoo? It looks like I
          >> lost all the materials at some point and have some people interested in
          >> a similar project.
          >
          > I'm still a member.
          >
          > It's still open, and theoretically any member can still post. However,
          >
          > "Due to a weird technical problem in Yahoogroups, it is not possible
          > to subscribe to the group directly (by sending a message to
          > "demos-ial-subscribe@yahoogroups.com"). If you want to subscribe, send
          > a message to demos-ial-owner at yahoogroups.com and I will send you by
          > e-mail an invitation to join."
          >
          > So they can try that, if they wish.

          I'm not a member any more and it says it's a closed group when I visit.
        • Stephen Rice
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
            On 12/10/11, Dana Nutter <dana.nutter@...> wrote:
            > On 12/10/2011 12:22 PM, Stephen Rice wrote:

            >> It's still open, and theoretically any member can still post. However,
            >>
            >> "Due to a weird technical problem in Yahoogroups, it is not possible
            >> to subscribe to the group directly (by sending a message to
            >> "demos-ial-subscribe@yahoogroups.com"). If you want to subscribe, send
            >> a message to demos-ial-owner at yahoogroups.com and I will send you by
            >> e-mail an invitation to join."
            >>
            >> So they can try that, if they wish.

            > I'm not a member any more and it says it's a closed group when I visit.

            Yeah, Antonielly needs to change the group so anyone can access the
            home page and probably the messages. It's posting and uploading that
            should be members only. Still, if someone wants to join, that's how. I
            could download the contents of the files section for you, but joining
            would let them read the posts, if they have a sufficiently dark sense
            of humor.

            Steve
          • Dana Nutter
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
              On 12/10/2011 01:51 PM, Stephen Rice wrote:
              > On 12/10/11, Dana Nutter<dana.nutter@...> wrote:
              >> On 12/10/2011 12:22 PM, Stephen Rice wrote:
              >
              >>> It's still open, and theoretically any member can still post. However,
              >>>
              >>> "Due to a weird technical problem in Yahoogroups, it is not possible
              >>> to subscribe to the group directly (by sending a message to
              >>> "demos-ial-subscribe@yahoogroups.com"). If you want to subscribe, send
              >>> a message to demos-ial-owner at yahoogroups.com and I will send you by
              >>> e-mail an invitation to join."
              >>>
              >>> So they can try that, if they wish.
              >
              >> I'm not a member any more and it says it's a closed group when I visit.
              >
              > Yeah, Antonielly needs to change the group so anyone can access the
              > home page and probably the messages. It's posting and uploading that
              > should be members only. Still, if someone wants to join, that's how. I
              > could download the contents of the files section for you, but joining
              > would let them read the posts, if they have a sufficiently dark sense
              > of humor.
              >
              > Steve

              I'd appreciate if you could send me the rules and final grammar. I
              believe they are just small text files.
            • Risto Kupsala
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
                10.12.2011 21:11, Dana Nutter kirjoitti:
                > I'd appreciate if you could send me the rules and final grammar. I
                > believe they are just small text files.

                It would be interesting to see them, so please post them to the entire
                list if you have them, Steve. I was a member only for a while in Demos
                and I can't remember which direction it took.

                -- Risto
              • Stephen Rice
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
                  The Rules file, though present in the list, returned "not found."

                  The description follws.

                  "DEMOS"
                  Language Description
                  The Demos Project
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Demos-IAL-Project/
                  June 29, 2006

                  Introduction

                  The Demos Project began on March 1, 2006 as a collaborative effort to
                  create an International
                  Auxilliary Language (IAL) by gathering together many individuals and
                  making design decisions
                  through a democratic-style process. The project is open to any who
                  wish to participate.

                  This reference defines the language in its current state as of the
                  date published.

                  Legend

                  The following conventions are used within this document.

                  Phonetic [f@nEtIk] and phonemic /f@nimIk/ transcriptions are written
                  using X-SAMPA notation,
                  a variation of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) designed for
                  machine use where IPA symbols
                  may not be available..

                  Abbreviations for language names are based upon the ISO-639-3/DIS standard.

                  Phonology

                  Vowels

                  Vowels will not be distinguished by length or tone.

                  /a/ pronounced [a]
                  Allophones in order of preference: [A] [6] [&] [Q]
                  /e/ pronounced [e]
                  Allophones in order of preference: [E] [9] [3]
                  /i/ pronounced [i]
                  Allophones in order of preference: [I] [y] [Y] [1]
                  /o/ pronounced [o]
                  Allophones in order of preference: [O] [7] [V] [3\] [8]
                  /u/ pronounced [u]
                  Allophones in order of preference: [U] [M] [}]

                  Vowel Combinations

                  /ai/ /au/ /ia/ /ie/ /io/ /iu/ /ua/ /ue/ /ui/ /uo/
                  /iai/ /iau/ /uai/ /uau/

                  Consonants

                  /b/ pronounced [b]
                  /d/ pronounced [d]
                  /f/ pronounced [f], allophones: [P]
                  /g/ pronounced [g]
                  /k/ pronounced [k]
                  /l/ pronounced [l]
                  /m/ pronounced [m]
                  /n/ pronounced [n], allophones: [N] (before /g/ or /k/)
                  /p/ pronounced [p]
                  /s/ pronounced [s]
                  /t/ pronounced [t]
                  /x/ pronounced [x], allophones: [h]
                  -
                  Phonotactics

                  (under consideration)

                  Morphology

                  (under consideration)

                  Orthography

                  The Demos language is written in the Roman script, with no distinction
                  between upper and lower
                  case letters.

                  Alphabet
                  Letters are assigned to the corresponding phonemes shown below.

                  Letter Aa Bb Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Ss Tt Uu
                  Phoneme a b d e f g x i k l m n o p s t u

                  Unassigned letters are currently undefined and reserved for future use.

                  Either Unicode (ISO 10646)/UTF-8, or ASCII (ISO 646) encodings are
                  used for digitial character
                  transmission and storage.

                  Syntax

                  The basic word order for a declarative sentence is Subject-Verb-Object (SVO.)

                  ===
                • Dana Nutter
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
                    On 12/10/2011 04:23 PM, Stephen Rice wrote:
                    > The Rules file, though present in the list, returned "not found."

                    Nothing in the Files section?

                    I'm wondering what happened to the group. ISTR setting it so there was
                    still read-only access to the public, but only members could post and
                    participate. With all the changes Yahoo has done over the years
                    though, it may be FUBAR. One of the main reasons I've abandoned Yahoo
                    as a platform for everything else.
                  • Stephen Rice
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 10, 2011
                      On 12/10/11, Dana Nutter <dana.nutter@...> wrote:
                      > On 12/10/2011 04:23 PM, Stephen Rice wrote:
                      >> The Rules file, though present in the list, returned "not found."
                      >
                      > Nothing in the Files section?

                      I just re-tried it, and it came up!

                      RULES AND PROCEDURES.
                      (Please read!)

                      This group is to develop, discuss and promote an International
                      Auxilliary Language (IAL), currently going under the code name
                      "Demos". Everyone is welcome to join but must be willing to abide by
                      the group rules. Those who violate the rules will be permanently
                      banned from participating.

                      --
                      WHO MAY JOIN
                      * Anyone with access to Yahoo Groups, except those who have been

                      ACCEPTABLE POSTS
                      * Any questions regarding the Demos language.
                      * Links to Demos related material.
                      * Links to websites in Demos.
                      * Literary works written in Demos.
                      * Suggestions or ideas related to the design of the Demos language
                      (see the procedural information below.)

                      UNACCEPTABLE POSTS
                      * Commercial advertising of any type (spam).
                      * Flames, or any other type of abusive or negative posts.
                      * Off-Topic material. Anything not related to Demos.
                      * Generalized conlang discussion.
                      * Executable files of any type, except with previous moderator permission.
                      * Any intentionally false or misleading information.
                      * Frivolous posts.

                      PLEASE ...
                      * Post either in Demos or English. Other languages may be used but
                      must be PREceded by an English translation. Posts which are not in
                      English, or those without a translation will be removed and the poster
                      will be prohibited from further discussions.

                      * Please keep the subject lines topical. Conversations tend to drift
                      into other areas so please stay conscious of what is in the subject
                      line when posting, or replying to a post.

                      PROCEDURES
                      Several folders have been set up in the group for tracking purposes.
                      * Surveys: Contains the completed Member Surveys for reference.
                      * Proposals - Open: This is where you can find the text of proposal
                      which are currently begin voted upon.
                      * Proposals - Rejected: These are past proposals that did not
                      receive a majority vote and therefore were not accepted.
                      * Proposals - Approved: These are the proposals that received a
                      majority vote and are to be implemented into the design of the
                      language.

                      VOTING
                      A formal proposal requires the support of at least 3 members before it
                      can be put to a vote. Proposals which do not receive the support of 3
                      members within 7 days of posting will be removed from consideration
                      but can be resubmitted at a future date.

                      Proposals will be put to a vote using the Polls section if this group.
                      Polls will be listed according to an assigned proposal number. The
                      document is to be found in the "Proposals - Open" folder.

                      Polls will be closed after seven days. Upon closing, any proposal
                      with more than 50% support will be moved to the "Proposals - Approved"
                      folder and then implemented as part of the Demos language. Those with
                      50% or less will be moved to the "Proposals - Rejected" folder and
                      therefore are not to be implemented although the same or a similar
                      proposal are still possible in the future.

                      Do not continuously resubmit the same proposals, as doing so could be
                      considered abusive causing you to be removed from the group.
                      Resubmissions should only be done if/when there is reason to believe
                      there will be a significant change in the result, such as after a
                      discussion where you may have gained further support.

                      BEFORE PROPOSING CHANGES
                      Please ...

                      * Keep in mind the goals of this group. We are trying to create a
                      fully expressive, but easy to use, world language.

                      * Try to make proposals significant enough to warrant a vote.
                      Example: While it's okay to submit something as minor as a single
                      lexical entry, it would be much more efficient to propose a list of
                      words to be added.

                      * Try to avoid proposing radical changes to already established ideas
                      unless there is a significant reason for such changes and those ideas
                      seem to meet with a sizable level of support during prior discussions.

                      CONDUCT
                      You may be banned from the group for the following:

                      * Violating any of the posting or procedural rules listed above.
                      * Any conduct which conflicts with the goals of this group. Example:
                      Denouncing this project on another forum.
                      * Any conduct which could harm the credibility of this project or
                      those involved with it.
                      * Any other conflict of interest. Involvement in other auxlangs is
                      not a conflict.
                      * Any conduct which impedes or disrupts the operation of the group.

                      Dana Nutter
                      Demos Project founder and moderator