Glad to see you're alright Jens.

  • <deinx nxtxr>
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 12, 2011
      I now know what those big ones are like. How are things over there?
    • Jens Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 12, 2011
        --- On Sun, 3/13/11, <deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:

        > I now know what those big ones are like.  How are
        > things over there?

        Well, in Tokyo there really wasn't any damage, so it's more watching TV and seeing the destruction up north. There is some danger from the nuclear plants, but the biggest trouble now is that there might be some planned blackouts.

        Jens Wilkinson
        Neo Patwa language: http://patwa.pbwiki.com
      • risto@kupsala.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 14, 2011
          I am glad too that you're alright, Jens!

          Also I am worried about Zein. There's a civil war in Libya and we haven't
          heard about him in a while, at least not in this forum. Does anybody know
          something?

          -- Risto
        • Jens Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 14, 2011
            --- On Mon, 3/14/11, risto@... <risto@...> wrote:

            > I am glad too that you're alright,
            > Jens!
            >
            > Also I am worried about Zein. There's a civil war in Libya
            > and we haven't
            > heard about him in a while, at least not in this forum.
            > Does anybody know
            > something?
            >
            > -- Risto

            It really is Zein that we should be worrying about. As you said, we haven't heard from him in a while, and my understanding is that he comes from the area where the rebellion started. But unfortunately, I don't really think there is anything we can do but wait for information.
          • Nikhil Sinha
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 14, 2011
              I realised this long ago, that if anything happens to a conlanger,
              nobody will ever know, since we only know each other through the
              Internet.
              I joined the group in nov-dec... I think since then there hasn't been
              any mail from zein. Let's hope everything is fine!

              --
              निखिल सिन्हा | Nikhil Sinha
              nik.azn@...
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 14, 2011
                On 3/14/11, Jens Wilkinson <jowilkinson4@...> wrote:

                > --- On Mon, 3/14/11, risto@... <risto@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I am glad too that you're alright,
                >> Jens!
                >>
                >> Also I am worried about Zein. There's a civil war in Libya
                >> and we haven't
                >> heard about him in a while, at least not in this forum.
                >> Does anybody know
                >> something?
                >>
                >> -- Risto
                >
                > It really is Zein that we should be worrying about. As you said, we haven't
                > heard from him in a while, and my understanding is that he comes from the
                > area where the rebellion started. But unfortunately, I don't really think
                > there is anything we can do but wait for information.

                I admit I wasn't too worried about you, Jens; unless you were
                traveling, you were too far away. (Our relatives once called us in
                Fairbanks, Alaska, more than 300 miles inland, about a tsunami warning
                for Anchorage...)

                But I totally forgot that Zein was in Libya, and I know little about
                the geography there.

                Greater love hath no man... I actually logged in to Facebook to check.
                There doesn't seem to be any recent activity, so I sent him a message
                to contact us here. We'll see what happens.

                It is annoying that we're so disconnected. A drunk driver or other
                lethal nuisance could eliminate any of us at any time, and those left
                would have only silence for a clue. We ought to have contact people
                who can check. Most of us here are fairly young, but there are people
                on Auxlang who are older.

                Steve
              • cafaristeir
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 15, 2011
                  Yes, I do worry about Zein. I sent a message to him on Facebook several weeks ago, but I got no reply.

                  Olivier

                  --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, Jens Wilkinson <jowilkinson4@...> wrote:

                  > --- On Mon, 3/14/11, risto@... <risto@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am glad too that you're alright,
                  > > Jens!
                  > >
                  > > Also I am worried about Zein. There's a civil war in Libya
                  > > and we haven't
                  > > heard about him in a while, at least not in this forum.
                  > > Does anybody know
                  > > something?
                  > >
                  > > -- Risto
                  >
                  > It really is Zein that we should be worrying about. As you said, we haven't heard from him in a while, and my understanding is that he comes from the area where the rebellion started. But unfortunately, I don't really think there is anything we can do but wait for information.

                • lingwadeplaneta
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 15, 2011
                    --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, "cafaristeir" <cafaristeir@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, I do worry about Zein. I sent a message to him on Facebook several weeks ago, but I got no reply.

                    Hopefully it's because there is no internet in Lybia. Kadafi could see that events in Egypt and elsewhere had been arranged through internet, so perhaps he shut it down.
                  • <deinx nxtxr>
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 15, 2011
                      On 3/14/11 1:20 PM, Stephen Rice wrote:
                      > On 3/14/11, Jens Wilkinson<jowilkinson4@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> --- On Mon, 3/14/11, risto@...<risto@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> I am glad too that you're alright,
                      >>> Jens!
                      >>>
                      >>> Also I am worried about Zein. There's a civil war in Libya
                      >>> and we haven't
                      >>> heard about him in a while, at least not in this forum.
                      >>> Does anybody know
                      >>> something?
                      >>>
                      >>> -- Risto
                      >>
                      >> It really is Zein that we should be worrying about. As you said, we haven't
                      >> heard from him in a while, and my understanding is that he comes from the
                      >> area where the rebellion started. But unfortunately, I don't really think
                      >> there is anything we can do but wait for information.
                      >>
                      > I admit I wasn't too worried about you, Jens; unless you were
                      > traveling, you were too far away. (Our relatives once called us in
                      > Fairbanks, Alaska, more than 300 miles inland, about a tsunami warning
                      > for Anchorage...)

                      I have a cousin living on the island of Hawaii. She said Kona was hit
                      by the tsunami but Hilo, where she lives wasn't really affected. Most
                      of my family is in California which apparently didn't see much damage.

                      When I was in the Chilean quake last year, I remember watching it on the
                      news all day and it seems the tsunami that followed did a lot more
                      damage than the quake itself. There were small coastal towns that I
                      visited in 2009 that were virtually wiped away.

                      > But I totally forgot that Zein was in Libya, and I know little about
                      > the geography there.

                      I hadn't heard much from him either. Last I heard from him was an email
                      trying to convince me to return to Auxlang, but that was a long time ago.

                      > Greater love hath no man... I actually logged in to Facebook to check.
                      > There doesn't seem to be any recent activity, so I sent him a message
                      > to contact us here. We'll see what happens.
                      >
                      > It is annoying that we're so disconnected. A drunk driver or other
                      > lethal nuisance could eliminate any of us at any time, and those left
                      > would have only silence for a clue. We ought to have contact people
                      > who can check. Most of us here are fairly young, but there are people
                      > on Auxlang who are older.

                      I know. One of the first things I did last year was find an open wifi
                      connection so I could call home (thanks to having Skype on my iPod) just
                      so they wouldn't worry. There were some posts flying around Conlang at
                      the time too but I did take my first opportunity to post a message on FB
                      at time too.
                    • lingwadeplaneta
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
                        --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, Jens Wilkinson <jowilkinson4@...> wrote:

                        > --- On Sun, 3/13/11, <deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I now know what those big ones are like.  How are
                        > > things over there?
                        > >

                        > Well, in Tokyo there really wasn't any damage, so it's more watching TV and seeing the destruction up north. There is some danger from the nuclear plants, but the biggest trouble now is that there might be some planned blackouts.
                        >

                        > Jens Wilkinson
                        > Neo Patwa language: http://patwa.pbwiki.com

                        Japan is becoming an unstable place to live in because of increasing earthquakes. Someone suggested, and I personally would support resettlement of those who want it to Russia's Far East and Siberia. Russia is dying out and needs people. Japanese need a stable place to live in. They could form a separate republic like Tatarstan. Everybody would be happy.

                        Dmitry
                      • cafaristeir
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
                          Hao dey, kare Dmitry !

                          I heard Zhirinovsky suggested that, but he's not a trustworthy politician, rather a populist. And don't forget there are still territorial disputes between Russia and Japan about the Kurile Islands (both countries are even in a state of war since no peace treaty was signed ! :-)). If they formed a separate republic, there would be the risk of secession. I don't think the Japanese can be compared with the many ethnies that live peacefully within the Russian Federation because being Russian is part of their identity. No so long ago, countries like the US, Australia and Canada were restrictive towards Asiatic immigrants because they fear they would not assimilate but rather outnumber the White population.

                          Swasti !

                          Olivier

                          > Japan is becoming an unstable place to live in because of increasing earthquakes. Someone suggested, and I personally would support resettlement of those who want it to Russia's Far East and Siberia. Russia is dying out and needs people. Japanese need a stable place to live in. They could form a separate republic like Tatarstan. Everybody would be happy.
                          >
                          > Dmitry

                        • <deinx nxtxr>
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
                            On 3/16/11 8:31 AM, lingwadeplaneta wrote:

                            > --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, Jens
                            > Wilkinson<jowilkinson4@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> --- On Sun, 3/13/11,<deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> I now know what those big ones are like. How are things over
                            >>> there?
                            >>>

                            >> Well, in Tokyo there really wasn't any damage, so it's more
                            >> watching TV and seeing the destruction up north. There is some
                            >> danger from the nuclear plants, but the biggest trouble now is that
                            >> there might be some planned blackouts.
                            >>

                            >> Jens Wilkinson Neo Patwa language: http://patwa.pbwiki.com
                            >>

                            > Japan is becoming an unstable place to live in because of increasing
                            > earthquakes. Someone suggested, and I personally would support
                            > resettlement of those who want it to Russia's Far East and Siberia.
                            > Russia is dying out and needs people. Japanese need a stable place to
                            > live in. They could form a separate republic like Tatarstan.
                            > Everybody would be happy.

                            I certainly wouldn't call it unstable by any means. Being a native
                            Californian, I've been in a number of quakes myself. They aren't as big
                            of a deal as they are made out to be by people who have never had to
                            deal with them. The places that see the most damage from them are
                            always in poorer places with poorly constructed buildings like Haiti or
                            Mexico.
                          • Jens Wilkinson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
                              --- On Wed, 3/16/11, lingwadeplaneta <lingwadeplaneta@...> wrote:

                              > Japan is becoming an unstable place to live in because of
                              > increasing earthquakes. Someone suggested, and I personally
                              > would support resettlement of those who want it to Russia's
                              > Far East and Siberia. Russia is dying out and needs people.
                              > Japanese need a stable place to live in. They could form a
                              > separate republic like Tatarstan. Everybody would be happy.

                              Thanks for the suggestion! But let me just point out a couple of issues. One is that the earthquakes aren't really increasing. Japan has always been troubled by earthquakes, and nothing has really changed. Tokyo was devastated by a quake in 1923. I think Japan is the site of something like 10-15% of all earthquakes in the world. And then secondly, Siberia is safe but isn't the Russian Far East also subject to earthquakes? Plus, sorry to say this, but it's COLD!

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
                                --- On Thu, 3/17/11, <deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:

                                > I certainly wouldn't call it unstable by any means.
                                > Being a native
                                > Californian, I've been in a number of quakes myself.
                                > They aren't as big
                                > of a deal as they are made out to be by people who have
                                > never had to
                                > deal with them.

                                I would say that depends on the earthquake! For people living in Kobe in 1995, and I actually went there myself to do reporting for a magazine, I can assure you that it *was* as much of a big deal as they're made out to be. The current one was also quite a big deal for the people who got washed away, actually.

                                I know what you meant to say, which is that in general they are a nuisance but not horrible, but that really depends.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
                                  On 3/16/11 9:43 PM, Jens Wilkinson wrote:

                                  > --- On Wed, 3/16/11, lingwadeplaneta<lingwadeplaneta@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> Japan is becoming an unstable place to live in because of
                                  >> increasing earthquakes. Someone suggested, and I personally would
                                  >> support resettlement of those who want it to Russia's Far East and
                                  >> Siberia. Russia is dying out and needs people. Japanese need a
                                  >> stable place to live in. They could form a separate republic like
                                  >> Tatarstan. Everybody would be happy.
                                  >>

                                  > Thanks for the suggestion! But let me just point out a couple of
                                  > issues. One is that the earthquakes aren't really increasing. Japan
                                  > has always been troubled by earthquakes, and nothing has really
                                  > changed. Tokyo was devastated by a quake in 1923. I think Japan is
                                  > the site of something like 10-15% of all earthquakes in the world.
                                  > And then secondly, Siberia is safe but isn't the Russian Far East
                                  > also subject to earthquakes? Plus, sorry to say this, but it's COLD!

                                  It's really the whole Pacific Rim in general that's geologically unstable.
                                • lingwadeplaneta
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 17, 2011
                                    --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, "cafaristeir" <cafaristeir@...> wrote:

                                    > Hao dey, kare Dmitry !

                                    Hao dey, kare Olivier!

                                    Surya es rare gasta she nu, duran ol hima it yok-te. Yedoh pa laste para dey es ga surya-ney, also me jui hao meteo. Sun go promeni.

                                    > I heard Zhirinovsky suggested that, but he's not a trustworthy politician, rather a populist.

                                    I'd say they are all untrustworthy and populists. And actually, at least a part of the govnoment should be replaced with Japanese, to reduce corruption.

                                    > And don't forget there are still territorial disputes between Russia and Japan about the Kurile Islands (both countries are even in a state of war since no peace treaty was signed ! :-)). If they formed a separate republic, there would be the risk of secession. I don't think the Japanese can be compared with the many ethnies that live peacefully within the Russian Federation because being Russian is part of their identity.

                                    Of course, those who don't want to live together may live on on the islands.

                                    > No so long ago, countries like the US, Australia and Canada were restrictive towards Asiatic immigrants because they fear they would not assimilate but rather outnumber the White population.

                                    Japanese is a highly organized civilization, they are not some savage tribes, so they are unlikely to create problems.
                                  • lingwadeplaneta
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 17, 2011
                                      --- In worldlanglist@yahoogroups.com, Jens Wilkinson <jowilkinson4@...> wrote:

                                      > --- On Wed, 3/16/11, lingwadeplaneta <lingwadeplaneta@...> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > Japan is becoming an unstable place to live in because of
                                      > > increasing earthquakes. Someone suggested, and I personally
                                      > > would support resettlement of those who want it to Russia's
                                      > > Far East and Siberia. Russia is dying out and needs people.
                                      > > Japanese need a stable place to live in. They could form a
                                      > > separate republic like Tatarstan. Everybody would be happy.
                                      > >

                                      > Thanks for the suggestion! But let me just point out a couple of issues. One is that the earthquakes aren't really increasing.

                                      The last one was the biggest in history, wasn't it? But the problem is perhaps not so much in the earthquakes themselves as in nuclear plants. I've seen opinions that reactions going in nuclear reactors might somehow stimulate seismic activity. Until recently this wasn't taken into account. It isn't proven yet, though.

                                      > Japan has always been troubled by earthquakes, and nothing has really changed. Tokyo was devastated by a quake in 1923. I think Japan is the site of something like 10-15% of all earthquakes in the world. And then secondly, Siberia is safe but isn't the Russian Far East also subject to earthquakes? Plus, sorry to say this, but it's COLD!

                                      The global warming will correct this :)
                                    • risto@kupsala.net
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 17, 2011
                                        Dmitri wrote:
                                        > Japan is becoming an unstable place to live in because of increasing
                                        > earthquakes. Someone suggested, and I personally would support
                                        > resettlement of those who want it to Russia's Far East and Siberia. Russia
                                        > is dying out and needs people. Japanese need a stable place to live in.
                                        > They could form a separate republic like Tatarstan. Everybody would be
                                        > happy.

                                        That could be an option in case of catastrophic nuclear contamination of
                                        large areas of Japan. Probably and hopefully it's not going to happen.

                                        -- Risto
                                      • <deinx nxtxr>
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 17, 2011
                                          >> No so long ago, countries like the US, Australia and Canada were
                                          >> restrictive towards Asiatic immigrants because they fear they would
                                          >> not assimilate but rather outnumber the White population.
                                          >
                                          > Japanese is a highly organized civilization, they are not some savage
                                          > tribes, so they are unlikely to create problems.

                                          I was reading an article recently about how there hasn't been any
                                          looting in Japan after the quake. Very unusual considering in most
                                          places there would be tons of opportunists taking advantage of the disaster.