3-year warning on Sept 11: spy chief

  • bander_87
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2003
      3-year warning on Sept 11: spy chief
      July 9, 2003

      INDONESIA warned the United States that Osama bin Laden was plotting
      the September 11, 2001, attacks three years before they occurred,
      the country's spy chief said today.

      Jakarta passed the information to Washington but US officials did
      not believe it was credible, intelligence chief Hendropriyono told
      The Associated Press.

      "We had intelligence predicting the September 11 attacks three years
      before it happened but nobody believed us," said Hendropriyono, who
      like many Indonesians uses only one name.

      He said Indonesian intelligence agents had identified Osama bin
      Laden as the leader of the group plotting the attack.

      Hendropriyono did not elaborate on the source of the information or
      other details, and attempts to contact the US Embassy for comment
      were not immediately successful.

      Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim nation and home to the
      al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah militant group.

      The group has been blamed for the worst terror attack since
      September 11, 2001 - the bombings of a nightclub district on the
      Indonesian resort island of Bali last October 12 in which 202 people
      were killed, including 88 Australians.

      Indonesia's intelligence services are not renowned for their
      accuracy. In the months leading up to the Bali bombings, the
      government denied there were any terrorists in Indonesia despite
      repeated warnings from foreign governments.

      Hendropriyono made the comments before a ceremony marking the start
      of construction of Indonesia's first spy school on the island of
      Batam, near Singapore.

      Dozens of Indonesian Islamic militants are believed to have
      travelled to Afghanistan in the years leading up to September 11,
      2001, to train with al-Qaeda.

      Bin Laden is believed to have actively supported Jemaah Islamiyah
      and been involved in choosing western targets for the group to
      attack in Singapore and other South-East Asian countries.

      The Associated Press
    • mrspy1001
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2003
        can you supply a link to the source of this information?

        --- In worldintelligencenetwork@yahoogroups.com, bander_87
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > 3-year warning on Sept 11: spy chief
        > July 9, 2003
        >
        > INDONESIA warned the United States that Osama bin Laden was
        plotting
        > the September 11, 2001, attacks three years before they occurred,
        > the country's spy chief said today.
        >
        > Jakarta passed the information to Washington but US officials did
        > not believe it was credible, intelligence chief Hendropriyono told
        > The Associated Press.
        >
        > "We had intelligence predicting the September 11 attacks three
        years
        > before it happened but nobody believed us," said Hendropriyono, who
        > like many Indonesians uses only one name.
        >
        > He said Indonesian intelligence agents had identified Osama bin
        > Laden as the leader of the group plotting the attack.
        >
        > Hendropriyono did not elaborate on the source of the information or
        > other details, and attempts to contact the US Embassy for comment
        > were not immediately successful.
        >

        > Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim nation and home to
        the
        > al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah militant group.
        >
        > The group has been blamed for the worst terror attack since
        > September 11, 2001 - the bombings of a nightclub district on the
        > Indonesian resort island of Bali last October 12 in which 202
        people
        > were killed, including 88 Australians.
        >
        > Indonesia's intelligence services are not renowned for their
        > accuracy. In the months leading up to the Bali bombings, the
        > government denied there were any terrorists in Indonesia despite
        > repeated warnings from foreign governments.
        >
        > Hendropriyono made the comments before a ceremony marking the start
        > of construction of Indonesia's first spy school on the island of
        > Batam, near Singapore.
        >
        > Dozens of Indonesian Islamic militants are believed to have
        > travelled to Afghanistan in the years leading up to September 11,
        > 2001, to train with al-Qaeda.
        >
        > Bin Laden is believed to have actively supported Jemaah Islamiyah
        > and been involved in choosing western targets for the group to
        > attack in Singapore and other South-East Asian countries.
        >
        > The Associated Press
      • bander_87
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
          --- In worldintelligencenetwork@yahoogroups.com, mrspy1001
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > can you supply a link to the source of this information?

          http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6725270%
          255E1702,00.html
        • mrspy1001
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2003