Re: Spy related movies

  • rbranch_800
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
      SpyGame is another high tech spy thriller. Spies don't always use
      all that high tech equipment. In reality spies still use shortwave
      radio.
    • snow90272
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 13, 2002
        I thought Spy Game was an excellent portrayal of the espionage world,
        with perspectives from both the white-collar cia and the on-field
        agents. It gives interesting insight to what probably goes on behind
        the scenes in the government, an excellent movie by anyone's
        standards. It is showing right now on pay-per-view if anyone hasn't
        seen it. You should really check it out.
      • oneblueking
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 19, 2002
          Hey, just thought I should give you all the heads up that not only is
          spy game on ppv, there is also an interactive "spy Game" to play on
          the site if any of you are interested.

          --- In worldintelligencenetwork@y..., "snow90272" <snow90272@y...>
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 19, 2002
            But in reality the spy world is simply not the high tech exciting
            world as we see it in the movies. It is a long grueling process
            which deals with more than big shootouts and explosions. Rememmber
            the entire purpose behind spying is getting the information without
            being caught or wrecking havoc.
          • cardinalpuffus
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 25, 2002
              --- In worldintelligencenetwork@y..., rbranch_800 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > But in reality the spy world is simply not the high tech exciting
              > world as we see it in the movies. It is a long grueling process
              > which deals with more than big shootouts and explosions. Rememmber
              > the entire purpose behind spying is getting the information without
              > being caught or wrecking havoc.

              This is exactly the case. A new movie that gives a very realistic
              view of this is "Enigma". It has just been released in the U.S. at a
              very limited number of theaters. It is a "docu-drama" about the
              breaking of the German "Enigma" code machine during WWII. Lot of very
              good detailed shots of just how code machines work, and a lot about
              the "long greueling process" of code breaking.

              One of the best movies on the topic I have seen, but because it was
              not a "major studio" film with big name stars, it did not get wide
              release. This is the one to check out when it comes out on video and DVD.
            • rbranch_800
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 28, 2002
                The problem with so called "espionage" movies of today is that they
                entail big named stars which attract the general public. Rememmber
                the general public has a stereotypical view of the spy world. They
                see it as a high tech world of fancy cars and all sorts of highly
                advanced gadgetry. But in reality spies do have gadgets, but they of
                course are not these real high tech things we see in the newer Bond
                flicks that can do 100 things in one. I believe it is the newer
                James Bond movies which have turned the general public's view of
                espionage into a stereotypical one. Spies in reality don't run
                around firing heavy machine guns dodging all kinds of bullets while
                running through countless explosions. As I said the entire purpose
                of espionage is to gather information without the enemy knowing
                this... a good spy is not supposed to be caught or cause a ruckus.
                His job is to try to keep a low profile at all costs. This is what
                saves his life, but of course the movie world can't have this
                because the general public insist that spies are big action heros.

                I'd like to hear everyones take on this.