Spy related movies

  • queensades
    Message 1 of 22 , May 9, 2002
      what are some of your favorite spy related movies...my personal
      choice is Spy Game b/c I am a huge Robert Redford fan.
    • rbranch_800
      Message 2 of 22 , May 10, 2002
        James Bond
      • sofiebaby01
        Message 3 of 22 , May 14, 2002
          the james bond series is definatley the don of all spy movies,
          recently i have to agree that spy game is a must seee, although i
          havnt seen it since the theatres.......do you know if it comed to
          video or PPV soon?

          --- In worldintelligencenetwork@y..., rbranch_800 <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > James Bond
        • rbranch_800
          Message 4 of 22 , May 14, 2002
            Unfortunely the whole Bond thing is different today. He is no longer
            what he used to be. All you see now is explosions and shooting every
            scene. This is no longer an espionage movie, its an action film.
            Real spies don't use all those high tech stuff like cell phone car
            remotes. Back in the old days 60's and 70's he did alot of espionage
            and there was room for action. I am quite disapointed with Pierce
            Brosnan's flicks. I hope they improve but I belive the time setting
            has ended the days of a gentlemen secret agent.
          • undercover_sayian
            Message 5 of 22 , May 14, 2002
              Dont blame pierce, blame the shitty americanization that is ruining
              the bond series....if i were a brit i would protest loudly about
              this. Bad acting by the american chicks is ruining it all, and the
              fact that its not owned by brits anymore aint good either.

              Message 6 of 22 , May 15, 2002
                It has NOTHING to do with americanization. It has to do with the massive changes in worldwide styles and "political correctness" Bond has been in America countless times in the past classic movies. Rememmber Goldfinger? It is considered one of the best James Bond movies. I do not blame it on "americanization" I blame it on the way we think today.
              • timallok
                Message 7 of 22 , May 16, 2002
                  Someone in one of the previous posts mentioned that these movies are
                  no longer espionage but action films and I completely agree. I don't
                  think the directors would disagree either. But there are some movies
                  that mix action with the espionage storyline, such as Spy Game. What
                  you do non-Americans think about that movie, since I'm sure you have
                  a concept of what the CIA is all about?
                • rbranch_800
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 16, 2002
                    I do know that in reality CIA operations are done swiftly and
                    without car chases and loud explosions :)
                  • mafia_man777
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 19, 2002
                      I enjoy the James Bond movies a lot, but the world of intelligence is
                      usually a bit more mundane then your typical 007 flick. If you guys
                      are really interested in seeing something relevant to real world
                      intel I would suggest The Tailor of Panama (Pierce Bronsan playing
                      what he has called "the anti-bond"). Another movie which demonstrates
                      human intelligence ploys but can't really be considered a "spy" movie
                      would be The Spanish Prisoner. I mean movies like Spy Game and 007 do
                      have tibits of realism in them, but much like most tall tales, it's
                      exaggerated. However, Spy Game was closer to the real deal then most
                      movies in the genre.

                      --- In worldintelligencenetwork@y..., "timallok" <timallok@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Someone in one of the previous posts mentioned that these movies
                      are
                      > no longer espionage but action films and I completely agree. I
                      don't
                      > think the directors would disagree either. But there are some
                      movies
                      > that mix action with the espionage storyline, such as Spy Game.
                      What
                      > you do non-Americans think about that movie, since I'm sure you
                      have
                      > a concept of what the CIA is all about?
                    • britneyxgirl
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 20, 2002
                        Yeah...I guess that things are changing in regards to espionage
                        movies. I would have to agree that Spy Games is one that balances
                        espionage and action. All you guys should check it out if you haven't
                        already. I think it comes out on May 24th!
                      • rbranch_800
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 21, 2002
                          But of course... all they use it high tech gadgets, something which
                          real spies do not always rely on. Shortwave radio is the key
                          communication tool.
                        • queensades
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 22, 2002
                            I just want Pierce's BMW from the last Bond movie. Who do you all
                            think made the best Bond. I have to say Connery hands down.

                            wrote:
                            > But of course... all they use it high tech gadgets, something which
                            > real spies do not always rely on. Shortwave radio is the key
                            > communication tool.
                          • britneyxgirl
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 24, 2002
                              I would have to agree with you on Sean Connery as the best bond! He
                              can't be topped. Oh…just a little 411…the movie Spy Game comes out
                              today on ppv. You guys should check it out. Of course it is not up to
                              Bond-Caliber but it is a really good movie anyways.
                            • rbranch_800
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 24, 2002
                                Nothing can match Bond caliber. Bond is it's own caliber. Or atleast
                                it was untill the 90's- on.
                              • oneblueking
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 28, 2002
                                  I completely agree with you about bond being at his own level …
                                  untouchable. But I think that bond movies have attributed to the
                                  glorification of the espionage world. I mean, obviously the West has
                                  added their own glitz and glamour through their use of high tech
                                  weapons and gagets, but how is the life of a spy really? Was Spy
                                  Game a more accurate portrayl? I suppose this argument could
                                  continue on and on. Just curious as to your thoughts.
                                • oneblueking
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 1, 2002
                                      SpyGame is another high tech spy thriller. Spies don't always use
                                      all that high tech equipment. In reality spies still use shortwave
                                      radio.
                                    • snow90272
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 13, 2002
                                        I thought Spy Game was an excellent portrayal of the espionage world,
                                        with perspectives from both the white-collar cia and the on-field
                                        agents. It gives interesting insight to what probably goes on behind
                                        the scenes in the government, an excellent movie by anyone's
                                        standards. It is showing right now on pay-per-view if anyone hasn't
                                        seen it. You should really check it out.
                                      • oneblueking
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 19, 2002
                                          Hey, just thought I should give you all the heads up that not only is
                                          spy game on ppv, there is also an interactive "spy Game" to play on
                                          the site if any of you are interested.

                                          --- In worldintelligencenetwork@y..., "snow90272" <snow90272@y...>
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 19, 2002
                                            But in reality the spy world is simply not the high tech exciting
                                            world as we see it in the movies. It is a long grueling process
                                            which deals with more than big shootouts and explosions. Rememmber
                                            the entire purpose behind spying is getting the information without
                                            being caught or wrecking havoc.
                                          • cardinalpuffus
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 25, 2002
                                              --- In worldintelligencenetwork@y..., rbranch_800 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                              > But in reality the spy world is simply not the high tech exciting
                                              > world as we see it in the movies. It is a long grueling process
                                              > which deals with more than big shootouts and explosions. Rememmber
                                              > the entire purpose behind spying is getting the information without
                                              > being caught or wrecking havoc.

                                              This is exactly the case. A new movie that gives a very realistic
                                              view of this is "Enigma". It has just been released in the U.S. at a
                                              very limited number of theaters. It is a "docu-drama" about the
                                              breaking of the German "Enigma" code machine during WWII. Lot of very
                                              good detailed shots of just how code machines work, and a lot about
                                              the "long greueling process" of code breaking.

                                              One of the best movies on the topic I have seen, but because it was
                                              not a "major studio" film with big name stars, it did not get wide
                                              release. This is the one to check out when it comes out on video and DVD.
                                            • rbranch_800
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 28, 2002
                                                The problem with so called "espionage" movies of today is that they
                                                entail big named stars which attract the general public. Rememmber
                                                the general public has a stereotypical view of the spy world. They
                                                see it as a high tech world of fancy cars and all sorts of highly
                                                advanced gadgetry. But in reality spies do have gadgets, but they of
                                                course are not these real high tech things we see in the newer Bond
                                                flicks that can do 100 things in one. I believe it is the newer
                                                James Bond movies which have turned the general public's view of
                                                espionage into a stereotypical one. Spies in reality don't run
                                                around firing heavy machine guns dodging all kinds of bullets while
                                                running through countless explosions. As I said the entire purpose
                                                of espionage is to gather information without the enemy knowing
                                                this... a good spy is not supposed to be caught or cause a ruckus.
                                                His job is to try to keep a low profile at all costs. This is what
                                                saves his life, but of course the movie world can't have this
                                                because the general public insist that spies are big action heros.

                                                I'd like to hear everyones take on this.