462Georgia O'Keeffe Didn't Start It!

  • newmexicooutdoor
    May 28, 2014
      In 1929 the appearance of Georgia O'Keeffe in North Central New Mexico ..did not signal the emergence of the region as an art center of note, however..as she gradually made Abiquiu her home, first at Ghost Ranch and then in the Village of Abiquiu, it did bring the area to national attention!

      She was a renter at Ghost Ranch ..and one season, was dismayed to find that her rental had been rented out from under her! Indignant, she bought an adobe on the old Abiquiu Pueblo and start to re-hab it into a Home-Studio.

      The next 50 years of her life, she dedicated to becoming the Mother of American Modernism in an area of The Wild West where not everyone could be happy, blazing the trails of 'mixed' abstract impressionism incorporating the now famous steer skulls into her works of flowers,  clouds, hills, mountains; the NM famous Flat Topped Mountain..Cerro Pedernal in particular ..which finally in 2006 ..brought us to our mesa!  Come out in Fall for the many..many village art festivals!

      This from a local mixed blood indian/spanish or Genizaro ..who worked for O'Keeffe for 20 years..she said: "The reason I love painting here is that with the colors of the landscape and the sunlight, it's like looking up at different scenery every time..and I can paint the same thing over and it looks completely different" --> Recommended Reading