Qurbani

  • Fasih Ur Rehman Khan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2010
      "It is neither their flesh nor their blood that reaches Allah, but it is your Taqwa that reaches Him…" (Surah Hajj)

      Ibraheem (Alayhis Salaam) had two alternatives: either to follow the cry of his heart or to submit to the call of his Creator. He chose to submit. Qurbani therefore is not a monetary Ibaadah or a duty that is discharged in distant poor countries. Qurbani is a personal experience, an intimate and emotional encounter, an intimate occurrence made real by the oozing of blood.

      Qurbani is about:

       Love for Allah in contrast to love of self obedience.
       Loyalty to Allah in preference to loyalty to the family.
       Faith versus emotion.
       Struggle as opposed to pleasure.

      Where is this spirit of Qurbani in our idle and aimless nights and days? Who is able to place the knife on his heart in order to slaughter the beasts of rebellion, hatred, jealousy, pride, and greed etc.? Qurbani is an annual reaffirmation of our pledge to Allah, a pledge that:

      "Verily my prayer, my sacrifices, my life and my death are surrendered to Allah; the Rabb of the worlds."

      Eid-ul-Adha reverberates with the cries of surrender, submission, and sacrifice. It is a grim reminder that life is about action, struggle, and endurance.