Re: [sowpods] choosing the WSC participants

  • Amit Chakrabarti
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
      * Ikawa Joseph Victor (ikawaj@...) [050711 00:53]:
      > Why are mediocre players pooled with champions?

      Certainly an issue WESPA (if it lives) can, and ought to, take up.

      Several players (myself included) agree that the variability of talent
      at the WSC is too large right now. The main obstacle to reducing this
      variability is the fact that the world is very big and that,
      consequently, it's rather expensive to get players from faraway places
      together for meaningful face-to-face "qualifier" games.

      > There should be regional slots for qualification to the WSC one would
      > suggest and if Thailand will dominate the whole of the Asian team - so
      > be it.

      An interesting suggestion.

      However, "Asian qualifier events" are quite impractical for much the
      same reason: Asia is very big.

      -AC from USA
      (not on WSC'05 team)
    • peter finley