Re: [uk-scrabble] Review: How to Win at Scrabble

  • Pfinley28251@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2004
      listserv@... writes:

      > The section on defence is well worth a
      > read, too. The authors recommend paying little attention to
      > defence. If this view becomes more widespread, perhaps we'll
      > have few dull games of attrition.

      I've only read the first few chapters of the book, but what I have read is
      excellent. However, it seems that the point of disagreement will come in the
      chapter referred to above. If you have the sort of vocabulary that Andrew and
      David have, then it's probably good advice. If, like me, you haven't, then
      polish up your defence.

      In my experience, those who complain about "dull games of attrition" are
      those who have lost them.

      Pete

    • Graeme Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2004
        In message <9e.a83eb8a.2dd55eca@...>, Pfinley28251@... writes

        >> The section on defence is well worth a
        >> read, too. The authors recommend paying little attention to
        >> defence. If this view becomes more widespread, perhaps we'll
        >> have few dull games of attrition.
        >>

        >I've only read the first few chapters of the book, but what I have read is
        >excellent. However, it seems that the point of disagreement will come in the
        >chapter referred to above. If you have the sort of vocabulary that Andrew and
        >David have, then it's probably good advice. If, like me, you haven't, then
        >polish up your defence.

        If one doesn't have the vocabulary (and, lets face it, few people do),
        the to win you have to get lucky, and pick up the letters for words you
        know. You've also got to pick up the letters so that your words will
        play, with the hooks you know. Having a wide-open game will enhance
        your chances of getting those words down. The players with the big
        vocabulary can get their words down anyway.

        >In my experience, those who complain about "dull games of attrition" are
        >those who have lost them.

        I usually win those games. I don't enjoy them, though.
        --
        Graeme Thomas
      • Pfinley28251@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2004
          listserv@... writes:

          > If one doesn't have the vocabulary (and, lets face it, few people do),
          > the to win you have to get lucky, and pick up the letters for words you
          > know. You've also got to pick up the letters so that your words will
          > play, with the hooks you know. Having a wide-open game will enhance
          > your chances of getting those words down. The players with the big
          > vocabulary can get their words down anyway.

          Graeme, I've always restrained myself from using this point, but ...

          my rating is 185, yours is 161. You have belittled my word knowledge more
          than once in the past - pein hammers et al.

          Which of us is doing it right, do you think?

          Pete