  • GANESH ASIRVATHAM
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2002
      Fellow Scrabblers,

      Scrabble Masters in association with the Malaysian
      Scrabble Association is proud to announce that we are
      bidding for the WSC2003 to be held in Kuala
      Lumpur,Malaysia.

      We would appreciate if players and their respective
      associations would send emails with comments regarding
      our proposed format as stated below.

      We are considering having a 45 game tournament with a
      7-game final.This is to be held over 7 days with the
      first day for registration ,5 days for the tournament
      proper and the last day for the finals followed by the
      prize giving ceremony.The 45 games will contain a
      mixture of modified swiss systems and king of the hill
      rounds.

      We would like get feedback from players as to the
      feasibility of this format and to give suggestions of
      other formats that might be implemented.There have
      been other proposals from players with some favouring
      a 35 game event with a 5-game final.We welcome any and
      all opinions from players.

      A number of players from countries world over have
      participated in scrabble events in Malaysia.We would
      greatly appreciate if the players and their respective
      associations would send emails of support stating what
      a lovely venue Malaysia has been and how they have
      enjoyed themselves during their stay here.

      Players can email these suggestions to me or our
      Project Director at nikzamri@...

      Nik Zamri was the organizer of the hugely successful
      Bertam World Scrabble Master 2000 that was held in
      Penang,Malaysia.

      Thanking you in advance for your cooperations and
      suggestions.

      GANESH ASIRVATHAM
      (Communcations Manager,Bid Committee)

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Amit Chakrabarti
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2002
        * GANESH ASIRVATHAM (metaplot@...) [020805 05:09]:
        > Scrabble Masters in association with the Malaysian
        > Scrabble Association is proud to announce that we are
        > bidding for the WSC2003 to be held in Kuala
        > Lumpur,Malaysia.
        [...]
        > We are considering having a 45 game tournament with a
        > 7-game final.This is to be held over 7 days with the
        > first day for registration ,5 days for the tournament
        > proper and the last day for the finals followed by the
        > prize giving ceremony.

        Hi Ganesh [and all],

        A 45-game tournament is the stuff of my dreams, and Malaysian
        food during the breaks is heaven... BUT... sadly, the reality
        is that few people in the world can afford to take the unusually
        long break necessary for participating in the type of event that
        you propose.

        People from most Scrabble-playing parts of the world would have
        to set aside four travel days for a tourney in Malaysia; that
        makes it a ten-day break overall to attend the proposed WSC. A
        good fraction of WSC competitors would find it hard to justify
        a ten-day break "for playing Scrabble"; I don't know how many
        employers would buy that excuse. I believe one week off is
        usually the max justifiable. At any rate, a lot depends on when
        exactly (i.e. what time of the year) the proposed WSC is going
        to be held.

        But then again, maybe those who can make it to their country's
        WSC team are also those who can afford to take arbitrarily long
        breaks from work! What do I know?!

        Selamat tinggal,
        Amit C
        NJ, USA
      • Jim Geary
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
          On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Amit Chakrabarti wrote:

          > A 45-game tournament is the stuff of my dreams, and Malaysian
          > food during the breaks is heaven... BUT... sadly, the reality
          > is that few people in the world can afford to take the unusually
          > long break necessary for participating in the type of event that
          > you propose.

          Cool. Me, Joel and Matt will be there.
        • Bob Lipton, a very mellow fellow
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
            > On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Amit Chakrabarti wrote:
            >
            > > A 45-game tournament is the stuff of my dreams, and Malaysian
            > > food during the breaks is heaven... BUT... sadly, the reality
            > > is that few people in the world can afford to take the unusually
            > > long break necessary for participating in the type of event that
            > > you propose.
            >
            > Cool. Me, Joel and Matt will be there.

            Dear JG:

            Metoo. The whinies have been whining about my posting
            too much to CGP, so (especially since I already said
            OK), this is just going to sowpods list.

            Regards,

            Blip