Getting going with sheepshaver

  • Michael Luskin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2014
      I want to thank everyone for their good, sage, and, most important, correct, advice on my upgrade to OS 10.9.  I gave myself the best advice, which was to ask my son to set things up for me.  He just graduated from college, and was the senior systems and computing student assistant.  He once connected a refrigerator to the Internet, so he had little trouble setting up sheepshaver.

      He says that he understands how to print, which is great.

      The only things left to do:

       move files into the sheepshaver window from a flash drive.

      I bought a number of fonts from Adobe years ago.  They arrived on a floppy disk.  I have them on the G4, but have no idea how to install them on either the OS X or the sheepshaver side of the new machine.  Is it simply as easy as copying them from the G4 onto the flash drive, getting them into sheepshaver and somehow installing the fonts?

      I assume that, using sheepshaver, I can run any of my old applications that ran in classic...  I have one or two.

      My curiosity is aroused on several fronts.  I am going to spend some time on the files section just reading.  I am curious how things work.  For instance, there must be operators on the Intel platform that do not exist on the old ones, and therefore there must be errors.  How does sheepshaver handle that?  Is sheepshaver a hardware emulator?  If so it is incredible that John Rethorst did it. No matter what, it is incredible, and I am very grateful to the people that have done this work.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2014
        For answers about Sheepshaver, your best resource is the forum at

        E-Maculation: All About Macintosh Emulation [E-Maculation wiki]

        You'll find plenty of information about it there, and knowledgeable experts.

        No one involved with this forum had anything to do with creating Sheepshaver. It was originally the work of a programmer named Gwenolé Beauchesne, who no longer works on the project.
      • Chris Harshman
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2014
          On Aug 30, 2014, at 16:22, "Michael Luskin michael.benjamin.luskin@... [wordperfectmac]"<wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          I bought a number of fonts from Adobe years ago.  They arrived on a floppy disk.  I have them on the G4, but have no idea how to install them on either the OS X or the sheepshaver side of the new machine.  Is it simply as easy as copying them from the G4 onto the flash drive, getting them into sheepshaver and somehow installing the fonts?

          What format are they in? I've encountered a number of old fonts that would not work natively in Apple operating systems older than OS X (they likely could have been converted with something like FontForge (http://fontforge.org/ - free, but with a user interface only a 1990s Linux user could love) or FontLab TransType (http://www.fontlab.com/font-converter/font-converters-overview/ - about the price of one good font)). If they're in .ttf (TrueType) format already, you're good to go. But Adobe liked to use their own PostScript Type 1 (remember Adobe Type Manager?) and later, joint Microsoft format OpenType. These could be problematic under Classic. They should irk natively with OS X: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22195?viewlocale=en_US

          I am curious how things work.  For instance, there must be operators on the Intel platform that do not exist on the old ones, and therefore there must be errors.

          One doesn't follow logically from the other... :) In point of fact, SheepShaver emulates a PowerPC system, RISC based, on an Intel platform, CISC based and dramatically different. SheepSaver does just in time translation, and runs about 1/8th native speed (but modern cores are so much faster than the G4 hardware being emulated, it's quite usable for most things).

          How does sheepshaver handle that?  Is sheepshaver a hardware emulator?  If so it is incredible that John Rethorst did it. No matter what, it is incredible, and I am very grateful to the people that have done this work.

          Christian Bauer and Gwenolé Beauchesne are (were?) the primary SheepSaver developers.

        • Gilbert, Geoff
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2014
            Michael
            One route between OSX and ShSh is via the Unix disk. If ShSh has been set up in standard mode, then the Unix Disk is actually the Documents folder inside your Home folder. In OSX, create a folder in there called whatever you wish, but Adobe Fonts seems a good idea. The start up ShSh and open the Unix Drive. You should see the Adobe Fonts folder. Then open your ShSh startup disk and navigate to the System Folder. In there you should see a Fonts folder. Drag across from the Adobe Fonts folder on the Unix Drive all the files you want to use in ShSh. Close ShSh and reboot and that should mean you see them in WP.
            Geoff

            ------------------
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law
            Joint Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
            School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            University of Essex
            Wivenhoe Park
            Colchester
            CO4 3SQ
            Tel +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax +44 (0)1206 873428
            geoff@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2014
              Michael
              Two additional points to correct the first email:
              1) Clearly, copy across into the Adobe Fonts folder in your Documents folder in the Home Folder those fonts on the CD you want to use.
              2) **The** below should have been Then,
              Sorry
              Geoff
              ------------------

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2014
                > I bought a number of fonts from Adobe years ago. They arrived on a floppy disk. I have them on the G4, but have no idea how to install them on either the OS X or the sheepshaver side of the new machine. Is it simply as easy as copying them from the G4 onto the flash drive, getting them into sheepshaver and somehow installing the fonts?

                Yes. Assuming your transfer folder / unix disk is the default OSX Documents folder, copy them from your flash drive to the Documents folder. Switch to SheepShaver and you'll see the fonts on the unix disk. Copy them to the fonts folder of SheepShaver's system folder (you can drag them on top of the closed system folder and OK the message to put them in the fonts folder.

                What format are they in? I've encountered a number of old fonts that would not work natively in Apple operating systems older than OS X . . . If they're in .ttf (TrueType) format already, you're good to go. But Adobe liked to use their own PostScript Type 1 (remember Adobe Type Manager?) and later, joint Microsoft format OpenType. These could be problematic under Classic.

                Both SheepShaver installs come with Adobe Type Manager, and thus support truetype, type 1 and OpenType.

                John R.
              • jrethorst
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2014
                  > I gave myself the best advice, which was to ask my son to set things up for me.  He just graduated from college, and was the senior systems and computing student assistant.  He once connected a refrigerator to the Internet, so he had little trouble setting up sheepshaver.

                  > He says that he understands how to print, which is great.

                  Does your son have any suggestions for improvement of the SheepShaver packages?