Re: installing SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2014
      Is it hard to
      download, install and maintain sheepshaver and wordperfect running
      under it?

      Not at all. For either WPMacApp or SheepShaver-WP, download the dmg and double-click to open it on your desktop. Then, for WPMacApp, drag the application icon to your Applications folder. For SheepShaver-WP, double-click the Install icon. That's it.

      John R.
    • treesh514
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2014
        what is dmg?
        Treesh514

        I'm trying to get wordperfect on my MacBook Pro so my husband can work on items from his office at home.

        I'm on OsX 10.9
        I've been reading "files" and other areas of the Group and am completely confused about downloading .  I have tried downloading CorelWp35e.sea.... from a free location and was unable to launch it.  Got message "unable to expand stufit archives are not supported".

        I'm so frustrated.
        Treesh514
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2014
          On 10 Aug 2014 15:27:35 -0700, treesh514@... [wordperfectmac]
          wrote:

          > what is dmg?
          > Treesh514
          >
          > I'm trying to get wordperfect on my MacBook Pro so my husband can
          > work on items from his office at home.
          >
          > I'm on OsX 10.9
          > I've been reading "files" and other areas of the Group and am
          > completely confused about downloading . I have tried downloading
          > CorelWp35e.sea.... from a free location and was unable to launch it.
          > Got message "unable to expand stufit archives are not supported".
          >
          > I'm so frustrated.
          > Treesh514

          .dmg is the extension associated with a disc image. When you download
          a disc image, and then click on it, the result is like inserting a data
          CD or connecting an external USB or Firewire disc, or a USB thumb drive.

          <http://guides.macrumors.com/Disk_image>

          .sea is the extension associated with a particular type of data file
          called a Self-Extracting Archive... hence the initials s e a .

          A Self-Extracting Archive is a compressed file generated using a
          data-compression utility such as Stuffit.

          OS 10.9 itself will not open a Self-Extracting Archive such as
          CorelWp35e.sea. It is possible to use an expansion utility like
          Stuffit Expander to do so. But if the extracted file or folder is
          designed to operate under OX 9 or earlier, or in the Classic
          environment, you still will not be able to do much with the extracted
          file or folder. See:
          <http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/9488-sea-os-x-how-can-i-expand.html>.

          The only way to run programs like WordPerfect 3.5 on a Mac running OS
          10.9 is via a program that emulates the environment of OS 9 or earlier,
          such as Sheepshaver.

          John Rethorst has prepared an installer for both. There is also the
          WPMAc appliance, which is a combined installer of an emulator and
          WordPerfect.

          I believe that there are installation guides in the Files section.

          J.J. McVeigh, Attorney At Law
          Butler, Maryland
          Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
          Member: NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
        • Gilbert, Geoff
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2014
            Treesh (if I may)
            If you are already a member of this group, click on the “Visit Your Group” link at the bottom of your message below, otherwise become a New member through the link next to it.
            Sign in. At the top you will see in grey lettering ‘More’. Click on it. Go to Links. Go to Sheepshaver and Basilisk. At the top is SheepShaver-WP Install 2.0.3. That’s what you need. However, does your husband use WP for Windows? That’s a different programme and there are conversion issues between file formats. I move between the two, but you need to be aware.
            Geoff
            ------------------
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law
            Joint Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
            School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            University of Essex
            Wivenhoe Park
            Colchester
            CO4 3SQ
            Tel +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax +44 (0)1206 873428
            geoff@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2014
              As Geoff said in an earlier message, if your husband uses WordPerfect for DOS or Windows in the office, then you should do one of these two things:

              (1) If your husband still uses WordPerfect for DOS (the one with the blue screen and white letters):

              WPDOS - WordPerfect for DOS on the Mac: WPDOSBox under OS X

              (2) If he uses WordPerfect for Windows, then ignore this Yahoo group altogether and search for information about VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop online. Either of those programs will allow you to run WordPerfect for Windows on a Mac.

              If your husband uses WordPerfect for DOS or WordPerfect for Windows, you absolutely do NOT want to install WordPerfect for the Mac, which is a very different program from either of those, and is what this user group is about. Instead, you will certainly want to install exactly the same program your husband uses in the office. The information above makes it possible to do so.