WP book, 2nd edition

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 7:28 AM
      I’m working on a second edition of my book “Teach Yourself WordPerfect Mac,” published in 1994. The update will cover features added in versions 3.5 and 3.5e, use with SheepShaver, and whatever I might be able to include from 20 years of use of the program since then.

      I’m sure I’m missing some things, though, so I’d be grateful if anyone could post suggestions for improvement.

      Thank you,
      John R.
    • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13 2:01 PM
        Hi, John. A new edition of your book sounds like a great idea.

        You will of course be covering SheepShaver and the various ways of
        getting material into and out of WP (your print/PDF routine, saving as
        RTF or Word 6 files, saving as WPWin as well as opening WPWin files, and
        also making Stuffit archives that can survive the trip through Windows
        and other platforms).

        One thing I have found useful with SS is the ability to use WPMac on
        Windows machines. It has worked for me in Win2000, WinXP, and now Win7.
        (Emaculation contributors find SS to work in Win8, though WP is not
        mentioned, and I have no experience with Win8.) What I discovered is
        that a new Mac OS disc does not need to be created in Windows; a disc
        that has worked in Mac OS X can simply be copied over to the PC, .dmg
        extension and all, and will work once SSWin is installed and the Windows
        GUI pointed to it. And if (in the GUI) you enable the My Computer link
        to the Win file structure, aliases to specific folders on the PC,
        including (for example) DropBox and one that I call "transfer print,"
        are more robust than aliases to folders or symbolic links in the Unix
        folder in Mac OS X. I have found the latter to lose their connections
        to their originals over time.

        I use Stuffit archives (created with DropStuff 5.1, which I had
        providentially paid for years ago) to transfer files into and out of
        SSWin. Print output is via postscript files, easily created with
        AdobePS or LaserWriter 8. PDF Creator is an open source Windows app
        that does a good job of converting .ps files to PDF's. I have also at
        times exported to Word 6, which I'm told even the latest versions of
        Office can open if you navigate to them from within the application
        (though I also have MacLink Plus 10 installed in SS, which can convert
        to Word 97 through Word 2004 .doc files).

        WP keystrokes can be a little problematic in Win7 (in Win2000 I had no
        problems with WP keyboard shortcuts, and in WinXP only a few). This is
        where WP's flexibility really came in handy. Key combinations that use
        the option key do not all work using the window key on a PC's keyboard
        (some do work). Most bothersome for me was the inability to use
        option-arrow to jump by words or by screens. My workaround has been to
        designate another set of keystrokes using command-shift (alt-shift on
        the PC keyboard) with function keys: F9 to go back one word (like
        option-left arrow), F10 forward one word, F11 to select one word back
        (like shift-option-left arrow), and F12 to select one word forward. I
        had to set these up as macros on my Mac, then use the Librarian transfer
        them over to SS on PC in a WP document. They are a little more hassle,
        but they work. This way, if I have down time at the medical center, I
        can work on other stuff in WP on the PC's available to me there without
        having to bring my Mac.

        John, I like your practice of including macros verbatim in your Tips and
        Macros, rather than attaching them as macros ready to import into our
        own libraries. It forces us to learn at least a little more about
        macros. Hope you will do that in your new edition. FWIW, I use some of
        your macros all the time: Previous Position (though it seems not to work
        in SSWin; permanent bookmarks do), Date/Time (which I had no difficulty
        modifying to include the European date formats I like), Soft Return,
        Highlight, Magnification, Paragraph Up and Paragraph Down, Strip Line
        Feeds, Smart-Plain Quotes, and "lettesr switchde," as well as your
        simplified Find command.

        HTH. Tom

        ===================================
        Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Licensed Clinical Psychologist
        1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
        Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
        (708) 848-1611
        fax (708) 848-1436
        tjrostaf@...
        ===================================
      • Gilbert, Geoff
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13 3:25 PM
          John
          Reading Thomas’ email reminded me that I had not responded. I think one of the things that needs to be highlighted is the ease of outputting the WP document as either a .pdf file or a .doc file. Those two formats are now standard except in a few particular settings (e.g. some US court systems still demand WP, I believe). Thus, although everyone I write for wants a .doc file, I still work in WP for the precise control it gives me and then “Save As” at the end. I would also highlight how the keyboard can so readily be remapped to whatever you want.
          If you want to indicate a limitation, if you have auto generated cross-references in footnotes, 'Save As' loses the number - my guess is that this will not be a major headache for most people ….
          Geoff
          ------------------
          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law
          Joint Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
          School of Law and Human Rights Centre
          University of Essex
          Wivenhoe Park
          Colchester
          CO4 3SQ
          Tel +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax +44 (0)1206 873428
          geoff@...

          ------------------------------------
          Posted by: "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <tjrostaf@...>

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             wordperfectmac-digest@yahoogroups.com
             wordperfectmac-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13 6:11 PM
            It would be good to have a single list of all the predefined macro names like "On Document Open" etc., etc. In fact, anything that's predefined but not easily accessible would be good to have.