WP's graphics editor

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
      I was poking around MS Word for the Mac the other day, and couldn't
      find a graphics editor. Word used to have one; did they take it out?
      I found "Word Art", a stylized font and integrated clip art utility.
      But not an editor.

      I don't do a lot of graphic work, but I do some. I appreciate WP's
      tool set, including Bezier curves one review called the equal of
      Adobe Illustrator's.

      The history of Mac graphics has gone from MacPaint, rudimentary if
      revolutionary for its time, through Canvas (how much coffee could
      their development team have gone through for that feature set?)
      through Adobe Illustrator, with ultra-high-end capability, learning
      curve, and price.

      Seashore, a derivative of GIMP for OSX, shows promise, but its web
      site says the latest version, 0.5.1, may contain bugs so be sure to
      work on copies. Or download the latest _stable_ version (emphasis
      theirs), which is 0.1.9. GIMP itself is now available as OSX native;
      I don't know how stable that is.

      Where's the competent but not overwhelming vector graphics program,
      with extensive (and recordable!) scripting support?

      Why, right here.

      Nice program we have.

      John R.
    • mxytsplyk

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2014
          On Jun 2, 2014, at 3:52 PM, John Rethorst johnrethorst@... [wordperfectmac] wrote:

          > I was poking around MS Word for the Mac the other day, and couldn't
          > find a graphics editor. Word used to have one; did they take it out?
          > I found "Word Art", a stylized font and integrated clip art utility.
          > But not an editor.

          In Word:
          View menu --> Toolbars --> Drawing
          will give you the tools for doing vector graphics.

          If you insert a photo or graphic, then go to:
          View menu --> Formatting Palette
          will give you a very large number of retouching tools and filters
          (this won't appear if you don't import a photo or graphic first)

          SmartArt Graphics in the ribbon will give you templates for lots of business graphics that can be customized.

          > Where's the competent but not overwhelming vector graphics program,

          Assuming that you aren't just asking a rhetorical question, I can give you a very long list of graphics programs for the Macintosh, both pixel and vector graphics, if you like. A surprising number of them are even free. Below are some recommendations.

          If you are specifically interested in a vector graphics program for non-professionals, the following are popular:

          DrawBerry (free)
          http://raphaelbost.free.fr/DrawBerry.html

          EazyDraw ($5)
          http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eazydraw/id412624365?mt=12

          iDraw ($25)
          http://www.indeeo.com/idraw/mac.html
          documents can be shared between Mac and iPad using iCloud
          Review:
          http://is.gd/dVuirL

          If you want a nice, simple pixel graphics program, but still with a lot of power, these are popular:

          Pixelmator ($30)
          http://www.pixelmator.com/
          http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelmator/id407963104?mt=12&ls=1

          Pinata (free)
          http://pinta-project.com/

          Randy B. Singer

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • vincent_jaeger
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2014
            An excellent (scriptable) graphics program, though not free, is Intaglio. Originally, I used Intaglio because it offers virtually flawless import of ClarisDraw files. But we also possess hundreds of WP documents with embedded graphics (instruction manuals etc.). And yes, the WP drawing tools were and are excellent.

            By the way, importing a graphic from a WP document into Intaglio works very well using the following procedure: Make a PDF of the WP document. Drag PDF into Intaglio. Convert PDF for editing. Intaglio is currently being updated (version 3.5 beta) to a new powerful text engine and many other state-of-the-art features. It definitely saves me from Illustrator.

            Vincent Jaeger
          • Thomas F Clayton
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2014
              John et Al.,

              MacPaint was the progenitor(?,sp ) of pixel graphics. MacDraw was the
              same for vector graphics. _Inkscape_ is the FOSSw _vector_ graphics app.

              MacPaint <--> GIMP
              MacDraw <--> Inkscape

              http://www.inkscape.org/en/

              http://www.inkscape.org/en/download
              Like GIMP, it hasn't reached 1.0, yet. (0.48.4)

              The Mac version _requires_ special X11-related environment additions.
              http://www.inkscape.org/en/download/mac-os/ (0.48.2)

              Sincerely,

              Thomas Clayton