computer upgrade

  • Michael Luskin
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2014
      i am very happy to say that I never have to post to this list, because
      my WP under classic is so solid.

      One of the reasons i bought my SE back in 1989 was that it was so easy
      to use, and I still like that. I don't want to know anything about
      how this machine works. However the underlying machine is pretty
      complex. However the time has come for me to replace this 733 mhz G4,
      running 10.4. I am probably going to take my son's MacBook Pro. The
      reason is that my browser is complaining more and more, so I have to
      do it. What do I need to read in order to move my WP to a new
      machine? Is it possible for someone who doesn't know a partition from
      a start up disk, and does not want to, to install WP onto the new
      machine, or is this the time to grumble and start to use Word full
      time?
    • Gilbert, Geoff
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2014
        Michael
        I am assuming that the MBP will be running an OS without Classic. As such, you will need either John’s or Ed’s install of Sheepshaver. Either is fine and up to you which you prefer. Double click and follow the instructions. After that, given some of the plug-ins, you can click on a WP file and it will launch SheepShaver and then WP. You can print directly to the OSX printer. The only pain is cut and paste between WordOSX and WPShSh - you have to use plain text.
        Geoff
        ------------------
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ
        Tel +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax +44 (0)1206 873428
        geoff@...

        On 4 Feb 2014, at 15:44, Michael Luskin <michael.benjamin.luskin@...> wrote:

        > i am very happy to say that I never have to post to this list, because
        > my WP under classic is so solid.
        >
        > One of the reasons i bought my SE back in 1989 was that it was so easy
        > to use, and I still like that. I don't want to know anything about
        > how this machine works. However the underlying machine is pretty
        > complex. However the time has come for me to replace this 733 mhz G4,
        > running 10.4. I am probably going to take my son's MacBook Pro. The
        > reason is that my browser is complaining more and more, so I have to
        > do it. What do I need to read in order to move my WP to a new
        > machine? Is it possible for someone who doesn't know a partition from
        > a start up disk, and does not want to, to install WP onto the new
        > machine, or is this the time to grumble and start to use Word full
        > time?
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo Groups Links

      • Michael Luskin
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2014
          Geoff Gilbert wrote:

          <<<I am assuming that the MBP will be running an OS without Classic.
          As such, you will need either John's or Ed's install of Sheepshaver.
          Either is fine and up to you which you prefer. Double click and follow
          the instructions. After that, given some of the plug-ins, you can
          click on a WP file and it will launch SheepShaver and then WP. You can
          print directly to the OSX printer. The only pain is cut and paste
          between WordOSX and WPShSh - you have to use plain text.
          Geoff>>>

          This is what I was afraid of. I did not realize that there were two
          versions of sheepshaver, and I have no idea how to choose between
          them. Which do most people use? What are plugins, where do I get
          them, what do they do. I have read on this list about partitions,
          etc. I have a couple of minor programs that use classic, will they be
          part of the sheepshaver install, will they still work? When you say
          that I can print directly to the OSX printer, does that mean that I
          can print just as I do now? What exactly is plain text and what are
          the implications of using it. I frequently cut and paste between gmail
          and wordperfect, does plaintext have any implications for that?

          Thank you. As I implied in my first post, twenty - five years ago,
          the great advantage of Apple computers was that one did NOT have to be
          a computer expert,one did NOT need to know much, one needed mostly to
          be able to type and point and click. I remember that the install disk
          set (floppy disks) for OS 5 was 5 floppy disks. I'm jes sittin on the
          porch in my rockin chair thinkin about the good old days afore the
          Washington politicians made computers complicated.

          mbl
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2014

            Geoff,

            What do you mean by "given some of the plug-ins"? There are no plug-ins in my WPMacApp system, and, as far as I can remember, none in John's SheepShaver-WP system. What are you referring to?

          • Gilbert, Geoff
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2014
              Ed
              I was not using the term technically. I was referring to the means by which a file in the OSX part of the computer (as opposed to on the Sheepshaver disk) can be double clicked and the file opens in WPMac as if WPMac were just an ordinary OSX application. It is so automatic for me that I have forgotten how that happens. Other things I was thinking about were the means by which you can click on a URL and launch Safari (although I have never tried it) and look up words in dictionaries. “Plug-in" was loose language, but I could not remember if these were droplets or scripts or something else.
              Geoff
              ------------------
              geoff@...<mailto:geoff@...>

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014

                As you saw from another message, the phrase about "plug-ins" worried another user who thought things would have to be added to the systems in order to make them work. Perhaps you could explain to that user that you meant nothing of the sort. What I think you are trying to say (I may be mistaken) is something like this: "Depending on whether your original file are WPMac files or not, you may simply be able to click on those files to open them in SheepShaver and WP."

                By a "plug-in" I think you meant "the resource fork of the document file" but this is something that only experts know about, and most non-technical Mac users will only be confused and worried by a reference to it.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014
                  Michael Luskin wrote:

                  This is what I was afraid of. I did not realize that there were two
                  versions of sheepshaver, and I have no idea how to choose between
                  them. Which do most people use?

                  I don't know which most people use, but I'd suggest trying both and seeing which you like better (as Geoff said, both work fine).

                  What are plugins, where do I get them, what do they do.

                  Both SheepShaver packages contain everything you need, and installation of both is very easy.

                  I have read on this list about partitions, etc.

                  That's not a concern here.

                  I have a couple of minor programs that use classic, will they be
                  part of the sheepshaver install, will they still work?

                  They will not be part of the SS install as such, but you can easily add them, and they should still work fine. After you've installed SS, in OS X drag your programs to the Documents folder of your Home folder (which has as its name your user name). Then switch to SS, go to the Unix folder, where you'll see your programs. Drag them onto the SS disk window (not just the desktop). At that point you should be able to double-click them and run them as usual.

                  When you say
                  that I can print directly to the OSX printer, does that mean that I
                  can print just as I do now?

                  Yes.

                  What exactly is plain text and what are
                  the implications of using it.

                  Plain text has no character-level formatting, i.e. no italics, bold or underline.

                  I frequently cut and paste between gmail
                  and wordperfect, does plaintext have any implications for that?

                  No.

                  Thank you. As I implied in my first post, twenty - five years ago,
                  the great advantage of Apple computers was that one did NOT have to be
                  a computer expert,one did NOT need to know much, one needed mostly to
                  be able to type and point and click.

                  Our SheepShaver installs are almost that easy, and maintain a continuity of Mac usage and files that a large number of users find productive and helpful.

                  John R.
                • Gilbert, Geoff
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014
                    Dear All
                    My reference to “plugins” was causing confusion - I was thinking of the sort of add-in to a program such as Photoshop or the extensions one might have for Safari or Chrome or the like. Things that increase the functionality of the program. The things I was thinking of for WPMac are found in the Files section at Yahoo (sign in, find “Files” in the tabs) and there are a whole plethora of useful things that you can incorporate into the WPMac experience, including OSX lookUp.sit that allows you to look up selected text in WP in OSX’s Dictionary (amongst other things) or WP->OSX Browser 1.0.1.zip that supports web links from WP to OSX browsers.
                    The great thing about what John and Ed have created is that once installed, you never need to think about how WPMac is running in OSX - the one thing I cannot find is the add-in (of whatever sort) that lets you double click an old WPMac file while in OSX’s Finder and it launches Sheepshaver and WPMac.
                    Geoff
                    ------------------

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014

                      For the WPMacApp, you simply double-click on a WPMac file in the OS X Finder to open the file in WPMac. No additional software is required. No plug-in is needed; nothing like a "plug-in" even exists; nothing needs to be downloaded from the Files section here. It just works.

                      Also, many of the additional files that you mentioned are already integrated into the WPMacApp system, and do not need to be downloaded or installed.

                      John's SheepShaver-WP system is equally well-equipped. You don't need to download anything additional in order to make it open WPMac files when you double-click them in the OS X Finder. Everything is already in John's download, and documented in the Documentation folder that his system installs.

                    • jrethorst
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2014

                        The only thing I can think of, to get WP files in OSX to open in either SheepShaver install if they don't already, is to Get Info on a WP file in OSX and have it Open With WPMacApp (Ed's system) or SheepShaver-WP (mine). Click the Change All... button to open all document like this with your assignment.

                        John R.

                      • Gilbert, Geoff

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 7, 2014

                            I think John is right about using Get Info and Open with... as the key step needed to let all WP files be opened by SheepShaver-WP or the WPMacApp. But nothing is needed from the file section. You might want to try installing these systems on a clean system so that you see exactly how they work for a new user.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2014
                              Actually, with the WPMacApp, there's no need to use Get Info and Open with... as described in the previous message. I installed it on a clean system just now and then double-clicked a WP document file. The file opened in the WPMacApp without any further fuss - that is, if the file is somewhere in the Documents folder.

                              If the file isn't in the Documents folder, then the WPMacApp prompts you to copy it into the Documents folder, and then you can double-click it to open it with the WPMacApp. Apologies for making this sound more confusing than it is.