Yahoo web site troubles

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2013

      While the Yahoo group web interface appears to be improving, it’s slow, and still frustrating. I don’t know what the total membership of Yahoo groups is, but it’s huge (I understand the largest group, an announce-only one about some new-age health alternative, has half a million members). I’m disappointed that Yahoo hasn’t fixed the site yet.

      Fortunately, the email interface hasn’t changed, and so is much better. You can send messages to wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, and subscribe by sending a message to wordperfectmac-subscribe@yahoogroups.com (it doesn’t need to have a subject line or text). Unfortunately I don’t see a way to specify, when subscribing, whether you want individual emails or the daily digest, a shame since the digest is unobtrusive and convenient.

      John R.

    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2013

        I meant to ask, has anyone found much difference among browsers when at our web site? I use Firefox more than Safari, but find that Safari works better at this site. Those are the only two I have, though. Anyone use Opera?

        John R.

      • spgoff@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2013
          I use Firefox as my main browser, which is mostly working for me to get mail. But I mainly use a Thunderbird connection to get to my various emails. I had to switch the server settings to SSL to access Yahoo mails, and I can get mail, but cannot send mails via Thunderbird and Yahoo.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

          > I meant to ask, has anyone found much difference among browsers when at our web site? I use Firefox more than Safari, but find that Safari works better at this site. Those are the only two I have, though. Anyone use Opera?
          >

          > John R.
        • Stacey Luster
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2013
            I use Safari as my main browser under Mac OS X Snow Leopard and the site works fine for me as well. No problems here.
          • Daryl Chinn
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2013
              I don't know if you know about recent yahoo mail problems.  Here is a site which acknowledges the problem(s).  And I don't know if these mail problems also mean there were other problems which might have affected WordPerfect's downloads.

              http://yahoomail.tumblr.com

              I use Safari almost all the time, although I have had to use Firefox for some purchases.  I don't download much from the WordPerfect site, but haven't had problems when I did. I don't use Opera enough to comment on any problems.

              Daryl
            • pjonescet
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2013
                You need to go to Yahoo and find out what the setup for their SMTP server.
                In SeaMonkey/Thunderbird. Go to Edit Menu > Mail and newsgroups.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 16, 2013

                  This is off-topic, but here goes:

                  Yahoo mail settings:

                  incoming address: imap.mail.yahoo.com

                  outgoing server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

                  For both servers, choose the setting "Use SSL" (or whatever it's called on your specific version) and the default port number that appears when you choose SSL.

                  With these settings you can send and receive Yahoo mail from Thunderbird or any other current mail client.