Posts or ads?

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 11, 2013
      Yahoo has apparently decided that what we need are messages disguised as ads. To opt out from at least some of it, see:

      http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html

      John R.
    • jcrethorst
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2013
        Err, that should be ads disguised as messages.

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

        > Yahoo has apparently decided that what we need are messages disguised as ads. To opt out from at least some of it, see:
        >
        > http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html
        >
        > John R.

      • pjonescet
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 12, 2013

          I went to this link and it was setup to Off

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 12, 2013
            Did you log in - the link is set to off, but my personal setting was on.
            --
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law

            Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

            12 November 2013 19:30

            I went to this link and it was setup to Off

            ---In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <jcrethorst@...> wrote:

            Err, that should be ads disguised as messages.

            John R.

            12 November 2013 17:59
            Err, that should be ads disguised as messages.

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            wordperfectmac-digest@yahoogroups.com
            wordperfectmac-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            .

            12 November 2013 04:39
            Yahoo has apparently decided that what we need are messages disguised as ads. To opt out from at least some of it, see:

            http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html

            John R.
        • John Kaufmann
          Message 5 of 12 , Nov 13, 2013
            Geoff - What's the significance of the {Disarmed} prefix? Is that from you,
            or Postbox, or...?
            Message 6 of 12 , Nov 13, 2013
              John
              No idea. It did not leave me like that??

              Geoff Gilbert
              Professor of Law
              Head of the School of Law
              School of Law and Human Rights Centre
              University of Essex
              Wivenhoe Park
              Colchester
              CO43SQ

              Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
              Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
              essex.ac.uk)

              Advancing the legal and broader
              practice of international human rights

              13 November 2013 18:09
              Geoff - What's the significance of the {Disarmed} prefix? Is that from you,
              or Postbox, or...?

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              wordperfectmac-digest@yahoogroups.com
              wordperfectmac-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              .

              12 November 2013 23:03

              Message 7 of 12 , Nov 14, 2013
                Hi Geoff,

                In a message dated 2013-1113 15:04 -0500, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                >> John Kaufmann ... 13 November 2013 18:09
                >>
                >> ... What's the significance of the {Disarmed} prefix? Is that from you,
                >> or Postbox, or...?
                >
                > No idea. It did not leave me like that??

                Did you get any idea from your university IT people (who presumably manage
                Postbox) how/why {Disarmed} was inserted?

                [I know it's not a WPMac problem, but it is a probably-instructive curiosity.]

                John K
                Message 8 of 12 , Nov 14, 2013
                  John
                  Since nothing else I send to the forum ends up with that, my guess is that this is not an Essex thing, but something at yahoo a bit like the [wpmac] in the subject line.
                  Geof
                  --
                  Geoff Gilbert
                  Professor of Law
                  Head of the School of Law
                  School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                  University of Essex
                  Wivenhoe Park
                  Colchester
                  CO4 3SQ

                  Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                  Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                  Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

                  14 November 2013 22:02
                  Hi Geoff,

                  Did you get any idea from your university IT people (who presumably manage
                  Postbox) how/why {Disarmed} was inserted?

                  [I know it's not a WPMac problem, but it is a probably-instructive curiosity.]

                  John K

                  <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                  wordperfectmac-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  wordperfectmac-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  .

                  13 November 2013 20:04

                    Message 10 of 12 , Nov 14, 2013
                      In a message dated 2013-1114 17:58 -0500, em315@... wrote:

                      > The answer [to {Disarmed}] seems to be here:
                      > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071119234815AAlCwmg

                      Ah, nice catch, Ed:

                      > ... displayed when possibly malicious HTML tags/code/scripts/etc. have
                      > been disabled or "disarmed" in the email message.

                      So... Yahoo unhappy with Geoff's sig?! (Except for the image source
                      [cid:part1.00010703.09010309@...], nothing else in the message
                      source seems even mildly suspicious.) Well, that is a little fillip to keep
                      in the back of my Yahoo-awareness. Thanks for noticing and mentioning it.

                      John K
                      Message 11 of 12 , Nov 14, 2013
                        So you don't get to see our Queen's Award for the promotion of international human rights for over 30 years ....
                        --
                        Geoff Gilbert
                        Professor of Law
                        Head of the School of Law

[...]

[...]

[...]