Message subject lines and our new format

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10 8:18 PM
      With the Yahoo group changes, if you have Conversations set to Topics, _all_ the posts with a given title are grouped together, with the oldest first. There's a great example near the top of the message list right now.

      I got an email from someone with difficulty posting, so I posted it without changing her subject line, "Mac WordPerfect Question". Yahoo showed the topic -- all 35 posts with that subject -- starting with the first one, from 2005. There's then a link to "34 more message [sic]", and then the last message, from today.

      That's pretty confusing, but there's a simple fix: under the "Conversations" heading, choose "Messages" instead of "Topics". You'll then see each message separately, with newer posts first.

      When you post, please give as specific a subject as possible, instead of e.g. "Mac WordPerfect Question". Now I know better too.

      Thanks,
      John R.
    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10 9:51 PM
        Yes. Of course it would be too much to ask for the old (pre-NEO) thread
        display, which avoided the "Topics" or "Messages" problems.

        jk

        In a message dated 2013-1010 23:18 -0500, johnrethorst@... wrote:

        > With the Yahoo group changes, if you have Conversations set to Topics, _all_
        > the posts with a given title are grouped together, with the oldest first.
        > There's a great example near the top of the message list right now.
        >
        > I got an email from someone with difficulty posting, so I posted it without
        > changing her subject line, "Mac WordPerfect Question". Yahoo showed the
        > topic -- all 35 posts with that subject -- starting with the first one, from
        > 2005. There's then a link to "34 more message [sic]", and then the last
        > message, from today.
        >
        > That's pretty confusing, but there's a simple fix: under the "Conversations"
        > heading, choose "Messages" instead of "Topics". You'll then see each message
        > separately, with newer posts first.
        >
        > When you post, please give as specific a subject as possible, instead of
        > e.g. "Mac WordPerfect Question". Now I know better too.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John R.
      • Hugh Dobbs
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11 3:16 AM
          Thanks, John!

          I've passed that on (with deletions) to my friends in a different group. It is also quite confusing that the Topics setting shows the latest post on each topic apparently posted by whoever ned the topic...

          Hugh
          http://www.iol.ie
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11 12:59 PM
            It probably would, and also to complain about any number of aspects of NEO, although several thousand people have done so.

            John R.