RE: Re: [wpmac] Translator 1.2

  • jrethorst
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013

      Translator is a kind of Applescript called a compiled script, as opposed to applet. An applet is essentially an application, and can be put anywhere and double-clicked to run.

      A compiled script can only be run if it's put in a script menu, such as OtherMenu or OSAMenu. Both these are free downloads at WPMac,and the SheepShaver packages come with one or the other already installed.

      Actually, compiled scripts can also be run, with keystrokes assigned, by OS 9 third-party utilities such as Quickeys and Keyquencer. I neglected to mention this in the Translator documentation.

      The advantage of a compiled script is that it runs a little faster than an applet, at least when it first loads. Many of my recent programs, such as UltraClip 3.1 and OSX Lookup, are compiled scripts for just this reason.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Don't install it anywhere in the System Folder. Install it anywhere else, but not in the System Folder.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
        Apologies for misinformation about installation in my previous message!