Re: [wpmac] Translator 1.2

  • J.J. McVeigh
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013
      At 21:15 -0700 03.09.2013, John Rethorst wrote:

      >WP Translator 1.2 combines the interfaces of versions 1.0 and 1.1,
      >for an elegant and easy tool to translate text in a WP document from
      >and to any of 72 languages.
      >
      >It only saves a few keystrokes and a little time, compared to
      >manually operating Google Translate, but that can add up.
      >
      >I wrote this utility especially since machine translation, long a
      >joke, has recently become much better. Translations are not only more
      >accurate but reflect nuances of natural language. It's nice to have
      >immediate and easy access to the best computer translation from a WP
      >document.
      >
      >This version also supports both SheepShaver packages here: WPMacApp
      >as well as SheepShaver-WP.
      >
      >Free in the Files section, as "Translator 1.2.sit".

      Hello, Jon.

      Thank you for making the Translator available. I have downloaded the
      Translator, and I have installed it in the Scripting Additions
      sub-folder of the Extensions folder in the System folder of my
      SheepShaver volume. Jon's Commands is installed in the same folder.

      When I attempt to launch the translator, the virtual machine
      generates the following error message:

      ============

      [Icon of stop sign with raised hand in the center] Could not read
      the file because the script is not editable (it was saved as
      run-only).

      [ OK ]

      ============

      I would appreciate any guidance that you might have.

      Yours,
      --
      John Joseph McVeigh
      Butler, Maryland, USA
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013

        Translator is a kind of Applescript called a compiled script, as opposed to applet. An applet is essentially an application, and can be put anywhere and double-clicked to run.

        A compiled script can only be run if it's put in a script menu, such as OtherMenu or OSAMenu. Both these are free downloads at WPMac,and the SheepShaver packages come with one or the other already installed.

        Actually, compiled scripts can also be run, with keystrokes assigned, by OS 9 third-party utilities such as Quickeys and Keyquencer. I neglected to mention this in the Translator documentation.

        The advantage of a compiled script is that it runs a little faster than an applet, at least when it first loads. Many of my recent programs, such as UltraClip 3.1 and OSX Lookup, are compiled scripts for just this reason.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Don't install it anywhere in the System Folder. Install it anywhere else, but not in the System Folder.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
          Apologies for misinformation about installation in my previous message!