[ANN] Translator 1.2

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2013
      WP Translator 1.2 combines the interfaces of versions 1.0 and 1.1,
      for an elegant and easy tool to translate text in a WP document from
      and to any of 72 languages.

      It only saves a few keystrokes and a little time, compared to
      manually operating Google Translate, but that can add up.

      I wrote this utility especially since machine translation, long a
      joke, has recently become much better. Translations are not only more
      accurate but reflect nuances of natural language. It's nice to have
      immediate and easy access to the best computer translation from a WP
      document.

      This version also supports both SheepShaver packages here: WPMacApp
      as well as SheepShaver-WP.

      Free in the Files section, as "Translator 1.2.sit".

    • J.J. McVeigh
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013
        At 21:15 -0700 03.09.2013, John Rethorst wrote:

        >WP Translator 1.2 combines the interfaces of versions 1.0 and 1.1,
        >for an elegant and easy tool to translate text in a WP document from
        >and to any of 72 languages.
        >
        >It only saves a few keystrokes and a little time, compared to
        >manually operating Google Translate, but that can add up.
        >
        >I wrote this utility especially since machine translation, long a
        >joke, has recently become much better. Translations are not only more
        >accurate but reflect nuances of natural language. It's nice to have
        >immediate and easy access to the best computer translation from a WP
        >document.
        >
        >This version also supports both SheepShaver packages here: WPMacApp
        >as well as SheepShaver-WP.
        >
        >Free in the Files section, as "Translator 1.2.sit".

        Hello, Jon.

        Thank you for making the Translator available. I have downloaded the
        Translator, and I have installed it in the Scripting Additions
        sub-folder of the Extensions folder in the System folder of my
        SheepShaver volume. Jon's Commands is installed in the same folder.

        When I attempt to launch the translator, the virtual machine
        generates the following error message:

        ============

        [Icon of stop sign with raised hand in the center] Could not read
        the file because the script is not editable (it was saved as
        run-only).

        [ OK ]

        ============

        I would appreciate any guidance that you might have.

        Yours,
        --
        John Joseph McVeigh
        Butler, Maryland, USA
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013

          Translator is a kind of Applescript called a compiled script, as opposed to applet. An applet is essentially an application, and can be put anywhere and double-clicked to run.

          A compiled script can only be run if it's put in a script menu, such as OtherMenu or OSAMenu. Both these are free downloads at WPMac,and the SheepShaver packages come with one or the other already installed.

          Actually, compiled scripts can also be run, with keystrokes assigned, by OS 9 third-party utilities such as Quickeys and Keyquencer. I neglected to mention this in the Translator documentation.

          The advantage of a compiled script is that it runs a little faster than an applet, at least when it first loads. Many of my recent programs, such as UltraClip 3.1 and OSX Lookup, are compiled scripts for just this reason.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Don't install it anywhere in the System Folder. Install it anywhere else, but not in the System Folder.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
            Apologies for misinformation about installation in my previous message!