Re: [wpmac] WordPerfect documents are garbled

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
      You're right! Live and learn...

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
        We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

        > You're right! Live and learn...
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert J Slover <robert.j.slover@> wrote:
        > >.
        > >
        > > I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

      • fostersusan13
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 30, 2013
           Sorry — it took me awhile to track stuff down. Is this where I should be doing my corresponding on this issue, rather than a specific email address?  If there is an email address, what is it? Also, I’m confused — a message I received said two files, but I see just one.   Where do I go from here?  What do I do now?  What specific information is needed?  What should I try before updating this further? Continuing thanks,

 — Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <johnrethorst@...> wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

          John R.

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 30, 2013
            Thanks for coming back. Yes, please respond here. We're asking exactly what program created the file that you supplied: WordPerfect for the Macintosh, WordPerfect for Windows, etc. - and whether you were working on a Mac or in Windows or something else when you created them. Thanks!

 â€" Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, johnrethorst@ wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
              Ok, I'll get the hang of this yet…

              Mac, & Mac WordPerfect (looks like 3.5e).

              This is a sample.  I have lots of ancient garbled WordPerfect documents that were created on a Mac, with Mac WordPerfect.  I'm not sure when they garbled.

              Continuing thanks,

              — Susan

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Thanks for coming back. Yes, please respond here. We're asking exactly what program created the file that you supplied: WordPerfect for the Macintosh, WordPerfect for Windows, etc. - and whether you were working on a Mac or in Windows or something else when you created them. Thanks!

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <Anon88888@...> wrote:

              >  Sorry â€" it took me awhile to track stuff down. Is this where I should be doing my corresponding on this issue, rather than a specific email address?  If there is an email address, what is it? Also, I’m confused â€" a message I received said two files, but I see just one.   Where do I go from here?  What do I do now?  What specific information is needed?  What should I try before updating this further? Continuing thanks,

 â€" Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, johnrethorst@ wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

              > John R.
              >

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com , "em315" em315@ wrote:
              > >
              > > You're right! Live and learn...
              > >
              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com , Robert J Slover <robert.j.slover@> wrote:
              > > >.
              > > >
              > > > I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

            • J.J. McVeigh
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                At 05:57 -0700 12.09.2013, <Anon88888@...> wrote:

                >Ok, I'll get the hang of this yetŠ
                >
                >Mac, & Mac WordPerfect (looks like 3.5e).
                >
                >This is a sample. I have lots of ancient
                >garbled WordPerfect documents that were created
                >on a Mac, with Mac WordPerfect. I'm not sure
                >when they garbled.
                >
                >Continuing thanks,
                >
                >- Susan

                If the "this" is a file that you attached to your
                message, it did not come through at this end. I
                believe that the listserve is configured to strip
                off attachments, to prevent the spread of malware.

                I think what you would need to do is to upload a
                sample file to the Files page associated with
                this group, and then tell everyone that you have
                done so. Please see the link to the Files page
                among the links that appear in the message
                trailer, below.

                --
                John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                  As configured, only moderators can upload files. The OP could send a file as an attachment to one of us. But she has done that, and several knowledgeable people were unable to recognize it as an originally well-formed file. I think we need to ask about the history of these files -- how they came to be garbled.