Re: WordPerfect documents are garbled

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
      Yes, it's the same string for encrypted and unencrypted files. The byte that signifies encryption is somewhere between the 10th and 15th - I forget where, but it's in my AppleScripts.

      CSnR isn't in any list of type codes that I know of...

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

      > > When I run the base64 utility on it, the result is all lower-ASCII characters, nothing above ASCII 128 so the result is almost certainly not a WP document (or any other word-processor document) created any time after, say, 1983.
      > >
      > > Any WP document created by WPDOS/Unix 5.0 or later, or WPMac 2.0 or later, has a characteristic signature at the start of the file: FF 57 50 43.
      >
      > I assume it's the same string for encrypted (password-protected) documents (I should have been paying more attention when Fridrich was implementing support for password-protected documents in libwpd)?
      >
      > The very first line of the document does look like a header of some sort, and in particular I would bet that the first four characters "CSnR" are a signature for whatever compression or encryption method was used on this document. Unfortunately, I've had no luck finding places where people talk about what compression methods' signatures are, nor does "CSnR" ring a bell to me for a name of any classic Mac OS compression program (although my knowledge of all things classic Mac OS has been declining daily for the last decade!).
      >
      > One more thing: I wonder if the file's resource fork might contain a clue, if the resource fork were present. If the file had been zipped (or compressed with a common Mac OS-era compressor, like StuffIt) before emailing it to John R, we'd likely have both resource fork and type/creator info present, and as possible clues. (Given the filename, this likely was a Mac file at one time: spaces and no extension.)
      >
      > Smokey

    • Robert J Slover
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
        Hi,

        Thanks for the magic byte sequence. I'll add it to my collection.

        I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

        bash-3.2$ base64 -d -D -i Macort\ complaint -o /tmp/Macort.out
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Read 1024 bytes.
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Decoded to 756 bytes.
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Wrote 756 bytes.
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Read 1024 bytes.
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Decoded to 759 bytes.
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Wrote 759 bytes.
[...]
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Read 119 bytes.
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Decoded to 87 bytes.
        Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Wrote 87 bytes.

        bash-3.2$ hexdump /tmp/Macort.out | head
        0000000 09 29 d1 ff 15 99 2e cb c1 db 6e ad 6b dd 5b 67
        0000010 bb 20 1e fc ea 48 fc 17 98 61 f5 1c a6 62 59 4d
        0000020 40 8c 7d c1 d6 b8 0e ee 86 c1 77 81 81 a2 f6 77
        0000030 d9 57 d5 3c 46 b4 02 5a c1 b5 a1 a2 5c f7 7c 3c
        0000040 cc 95 c6 ff 8a eb db 65 56 e0 64 30 c3 c9 7b 77
        0000050 34 c3 a5 a0 38 7c b6 82 3f d8 92 9e fb a0 e4 51
        0000060 91 43 1d 8b 1e 94 43 43 7b 79 7c 7c 57 1f f0 0e
        0000070 39 2a 27 1e a7 6e 3b 45 90 59 d8 92 d7 41 f9 41
        0000080 fb d6 07 41 fa c3 67 d5 2c 8b a8 15 bd f8 fe a3
        0000090 c0 6c 7b 84 18 0e 07 e0 04 ae df eb 5f 4a 1f 5b
        bash-3.2$

        I hope that is helpful/recognizable by someone. The regular record structure starts farther along in the file.

        --Robert

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
          You're right! Live and learn...

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
            We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

            > You're right! Live and learn...
            >
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert J Slover <robert.j.slover@> wrote:
            > >.
            > >
            > > I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

          • fostersusan13
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 30, 2013
               Sorry — it took me awhile to track stuff down. Is this where I should be doing my corresponding on this issue, rather than a specific email address?  If there is an email address, what is it? Also, I’m confused — a message I received said two files, but I see just one.   Where do I go from here?  What do I do now?  What specific information is needed?  What should I try before updating this further? Continuing thanks,

 — Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <johnrethorst@...> wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 30, 2013
                Thanks for coming back. Yes, please respond here. We're asking exactly what program created the file that you supplied: WordPerfect for the Macintosh, WordPerfect for Windows, etc. - and whether you were working on a Mac or in Windows or something else when you created them. Thanks!

 â€" Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, johnrethorst@ wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                  Ok, I'll get the hang of this yet…

                  Mac, & Mac WordPerfect (looks like 3.5e).

                  This is a sample.  I have lots of ancient garbled WordPerfect documents that were created on a Mac, with Mac WordPerfect.  I'm not sure when they garbled.

                  Continuing thanks,

                  — Susan

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Thanks for coming back. Yes, please respond here. We're asking exactly what program created the file that you supplied: WordPerfect for the Macintosh, WordPerfect for Windows, etc. - and whether you were working on a Mac or in Windows or something else when you created them. Thanks!

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <Anon88888@...> wrote:

                  >  Sorry â€" it took me awhile to track stuff down. Is this where I should be doing my corresponding on this issue, rather than a specific email address?  If there is an email address, what is it? Also, I’m confused â€" a message I received said two files, but I see just one.   Where do I go from here?  What do I do now?  What specific information is needed?  What should I try before updating this further? Continuing thanks,

 â€" Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, johnrethorst@ wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

                  > John R.
                  >

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com , "em315" em315@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You're right! Live and learn...
                  > >
                  > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com , Robert J Slover <robert.j.slover@> wrote:
                  > > >.
                  > > >
                  > > > I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

                • J.J. McVeigh
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                    At 05:57 -0700 12.09.2013, <Anon88888@...> wrote:

                    >Ok, I'll get the hang of this yetŠ
                    >
                    >Mac, & Mac WordPerfect (looks like 3.5e).
                    >
                    >This is a sample. I have lots of ancient
                    >garbled WordPerfect documents that were created
                    >on a Mac, with Mac WordPerfect. I'm not sure
                    >when they garbled.
                    >
                    >Continuing thanks,
                    >
                    >- Susan

                    If the "this" is a file that you attached to your
                    message, it did not come through at this end. I
                    believe that the listserve is configured to strip
                    off attachments, to prevent the spread of malware.

                    I think what you would need to do is to upload a
                    sample file to the Files page associated with
                    this group, and then tell everyone that you have
                    done so. Please see the link to the Files page
                    among the links that appear in the message
                    trailer, below.

                    --
                    John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                    Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                      As configured, only moderators can upload files. The OP could send a file as an attachment to one of us. But she has done that, and several knowledgeable people were unable to recognize it as an originally well-formed file. I think we need to ask about the history of these files -- how they came to be garbled.