Re: WordPerfect documents are garbled

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 21, 2013
      We also need to know what program you are using to open these files with the result that they look garbled - in other words, they look garbled when you do what with them? (Double-click them in OS X, or something else?.

      And we need to know what machine and program you used to create them. (Did you create them on a Mac using WordPerfect for the Mac, or did you create them in Windows using WordPerfect for Windows, or did you do something else entirely?)

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 21, 2013
        Just uploaded to Temporary_Items. Ed, good point -- although Susan says she is on a Mac Mini, OS 10.8.4, I forgot to ask whether this is a WP Mac file, or a Windows version document created using Boot Camp or similar.

        The file doesn't have WP Mac creator or type metadata, although that can be lost in email. Opening it in WP Mac, it's completely garbled.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 21, 2013
          This isn't a document file. It's a text file containing a string of ASCII characters; probably it was once a part of a file that was encoded in something like BinHex or some similar format that made it possible to transmit binary files (like WP documents) as ASCII files through online services that couldn't handle ASCII data.

          Whatever this file may have been once, it's now completely unrecoverable, unfortunately. I tried various decoder programs that worked with this kind of ASCII data, but they all failed to produce anything.

          > Just uploaded to Temporary_Items. Ed, good point -- although Susan says she is on a Mac Mini, OS 10.8.4, I forgot to ask whether this is a WP Mac file, or a Windows version document created using Boot Camp or similar.
          >
          > The file doesn't have WP Mac creator or type metadata, although that can be lost in email. Opening it in WP Mac, it's completely garbled.

          > > We also need to know what program you are using to open these files with the result that they look garbled - in other words, they look garbled when you do what with them? (Double-click them in OS X, or something else?.
          > >
          > > And we need to know what machine and program you used to create them. (Did you create them on a Mac using WordPerfect for the Mac, or did you create them in Windows using WordPerfect for Windows, or did you do something else entirely?)
          > >
          > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Send one to me, by reply to this email, and I'll upload it to Temporary_Items in the Files section here.
          > > >
          > > > We'll need to know what machine you're on and what OS version.
          > > >
          > > > John R.

        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 21, 2013
            Is this the dreaded WP issue that cropped up occasionally when you'd open a file, and it told you it was damaged (I forget the exact message, as it's been awhile, thank heaven!) and it would immediately close?

            That happened to me a couple of times when I was writing my dissertation, even though I was obsessive about backups, and would archive a new version daily. For awhile I was booting with extensions off (I think that was one of the possible antidotes, though I don't think anyone was quite sure).

            One time I succeeded in recovering a file where I did not have a recent backup by converting the file multiple times. I think I used MacLinkPlus to convert it to rtf (because it didn't have to be opened in WP to do it), and then imported the rtf in WP, was able to retrieve the info I wanted, and then copied it into a new WP file.

            This could be a completely different issue, though. IN the one I'm referring to, the file would look normal in WP, but then the program would close it.

            Rick

            On Aug 21, 2013, at 11:31 AM, fostersusan13 wrote:

            > My WordPerfect documents are garbled. Can I upload one as a sample, so I can be directed as to what I need to do in order to open and/or convert them?
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            > — Susan Swartz

            Rick Albright
            logres@...

            http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
          • Robert J Slover
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
              I took a look at the file - it appeared to be base64 encoded - I used the command-line base64 utility in OSX to decode it, and the resulting file has some very regular structure to it (so it looks, superficially at least, like some sort of binary records), but I did not recognize the format (which does not mean much - last platform I seriously used WordPerfect on was VAX/VMS).

              Does anyone have a set of Unix "magic numbers" for various WP files? More examples might also help, as might knowing specifically what type of files, for which application, on what platform, these were expected to be...

              --Robert

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
                When I run the base64 utility on it, the result is all lower-ASCII characters, nothing above ASCII 128 so the result is almost certainly not a WP document (or any other word-processor document) created any time after, say, 1983.

                Any WP document created by WPDOS/Unix 5.0 or later, or WPMac 2.0 or later, has a characteristic signature at the start of the file: FF 57 50 43.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert J Slover <robert.j.slover@...> wrote:

                > I took a look at the file - it appeared to be base64 encoded - I used the command-line base64 utility in OSX to decode it, and the resulting file has some very regular structure to it (so it looks, superficially at least, like some sort of binary records), but I did not recognize the format (which does not mean much - last platform I seriously used WordPerfect on was VAX/VMS).
                >
                > Does anyone have a set of Unix "magic numbers" for various WP files? More examples might also help, as might knowing specifically what type of files, for which application, on what platform, these were expected to be...
                >
                > --Robert
                > >
                > > On Aug 21, 2013, at 22:44, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
                > >
                > >> Is this the dreaded WP issue that cropped up occasionally when you'd open a file, and it told you it was damaged (I forget the exact message, as it's been awhile, thank heaven!) and it would immediately close?
                > >>
                > >> That happened to me a couple of times when I was writing my dissertation, even though I was obsessive about backups, and would archive a new version daily. For awhile I was booting with extensions off (I think that was one of the possible antidotes, though I don't think anyone was quite sure).
                > >>
                > >> One time I succeeded in recovering a file where I did not have a recent backup by converting the file multiple times. I think I used MacLinkPlus to convert it to rtf (because it didn't have to be opened in WP to do it), and then imported the rtf in WP, was able to retrieve the info I wanted, and then copied it into a new WP file.
                > >>
                > >> This could be a completely different issue, though. IN the one I'm referring to, the file would look normal in WP, but then the program would close it.
                > >>
                > >> Rick

              • sardisson
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013

                  > When I run the base64 utility on it, the result is all lower-ASCII characters, nothing above ASCII 128 so the result is almost certainly not a WP document (or any other word-processor document) created any time after, say, 1983.
                  >
                  > Any WP document created by WPDOS/Unix 5.0 or later, or WPMac 2.0 or later, has a characteristic signature at the start of the file: FF 57 50 43.

                  I assume it's the same string for encrypted (password-protected) documents (I should have been paying more attention when Fridrich was implementing support for password-protected documents in libwpd)?

                  The very first line of the document does look like a header of some sort, and in particular I would bet that the first four characters "CSnR" are a signature for whatever compression or encryption method was used on this document. Unfortunately, I've had no luck finding places where people talk about what compression methods' signatures are, nor does "CSnR" ring a bell to me for a name of any classic Mac OS compression program (although my knowledge of all things classic Mac OS has been declining daily for the last decade!).

                  One more thing: I wonder if the file's resource fork might contain a clue, if the resource fork were present. If the file had been zipped (or compressed with a common Mac OS-era compressor, like StuffIt) before emailing it to John R, we'd likely have both resource fork and type/creator info present, and as possible clues. (Given the filename, this likely was a Mac file at one time: spaces and no extension.)

                  Smokey
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
                    Yes, it's the same string for encrypted and unencrypted files. The byte that signifies encryption is somewhere between the 10th and 15th - I forget where, but it's in my AppleScripts.

                    CSnR isn't in any list of type codes that I know of...

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

                    > > When I run the base64 utility on it, the result is all lower-ASCII characters, nothing above ASCII 128 so the result is almost certainly not a WP document (or any other word-processor document) created any time after, say, 1983.
                    > >
                    > > Any WP document created by WPDOS/Unix 5.0 or later, or WPMac 2.0 or later, has a characteristic signature at the start of the file: FF 57 50 43.
                    >
                    > I assume it's the same string for encrypted (password-protected) documents (I should have been paying more attention when Fridrich was implementing support for password-protected documents in libwpd)?
                    >
                    > The very first line of the document does look like a header of some sort, and in particular I would bet that the first four characters "CSnR" are a signature for whatever compression or encryption method was used on this document. Unfortunately, I've had no luck finding places where people talk about what compression methods' signatures are, nor does "CSnR" ring a bell to me for a name of any classic Mac OS compression program (although my knowledge of all things classic Mac OS has been declining daily for the last decade!).
                    >
                    > One more thing: I wonder if the file's resource fork might contain a clue, if the resource fork were present. If the file had been zipped (or compressed with a common Mac OS-era compressor, like StuffIt) before emailing it to John R, we'd likely have both resource fork and type/creator info present, and as possible clues. (Given the filename, this likely was a Mac file at one time: spaces and no extension.)
                    >
                    > Smokey

                  • Robert J Slover
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
                      Hi,

                      Thanks for the magic byte sequence. I'll add it to my collection.

                      I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

                      bash-3.2$ base64 -d -D -i Macort\ complaint -o /tmp/Macort.out
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Read 1024 bytes.
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Decoded to 756 bytes.
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Wrote 756 bytes.
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Read 1024 bytes.
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Decoded to 759 bytes.
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Wrote 759 bytes.
[...]
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Read 119 bytes.
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Decoded to 87 bytes.
                      Aug 22 18:14:38 rocinante base64[41041] <Info>: Wrote 87 bytes.

                      bash-3.2$ hexdump /tmp/Macort.out | head
                      0000000 09 29 d1 ff 15 99 2e cb c1 db 6e ad 6b dd 5b 67
                      0000010 bb 20 1e fc ea 48 fc 17 98 61 f5 1c a6 62 59 4d
                      0000020 40 8c 7d c1 d6 b8 0e ee 86 c1 77 81 81 a2 f6 77
                      0000030 d9 57 d5 3c 46 b4 02 5a c1 b5 a1 a2 5c f7 7c 3c
                      0000040 cc 95 c6 ff 8a eb db 65 56 e0 64 30 c3 c9 7b 77
                      0000050 34 c3 a5 a0 38 7c b6 82 3f d8 92 9e fb a0 e4 51
                      0000060 91 43 1d 8b 1e 94 43 43 7b 79 7c 7c 57 1f f0 0e
                      0000070 39 2a 27 1e a7 6e 3b 45 90 59 d8 92 d7 41 f9 41
                      0000080 fb d6 07 41 fa c3 67 d5 2c 8b a8 15 bd f8 fe a3
                      0000090 c0 6c 7b 84 18 0e 07 e0 04 ae df eb 5f 4a 1f 5b
                      bash-3.2$

                      I hope that is helpful/recognizable by someone. The regular record structure starts farther along in the file.

                      --Robert

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 22, 2013
                        You're right! Live and learn...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 23, 2013
                          We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

                          > You're right! Live and learn...
                          >
                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert J Slover <robert.j.slover@> wrote:
                          > >.
                          > >
                          > > I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

                        • fostersusan13
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 30, 2013
                             Sorry — it took me awhile to track stuff down. Is this where I should be doing my corresponding on this issue, rather than a specific email address?  If there is an email address, what is it? Also, I’m confused — a message I received said two files, but I see just one.   Where do I go from here?  What do I do now?  What specific information is needed?  What should I try before updating this further? Continuing thanks,

 — Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <johnrethorst@...> wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

                            John R.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 30, 2013
                              Thanks for coming back. Yes, please respond here. We're asking exactly what program created the file that you supplied: WordPerfect for the Macintosh, WordPerfect for Windows, etc. - and whether you were working on a Mac or in Windows or something else when you created them. Thanks!

 â€" Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, johnrethorst@ wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                                Ok, I'll get the hang of this yet…

                                Mac, & Mac WordPerfect (looks like 3.5e).

                                This is a sample.  I have lots of ancient garbled WordPerfect documents that were created on a Mac, with Mac WordPerfect.  I'm not sure when they garbled.

                                Continuing thanks,

                                — Susan

                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                Thanks for coming back. Yes, please respond here. We're asking exactly what program created the file that you supplied: WordPerfect for the Macintosh, WordPerfect for Windows, etc. - and whether you were working on a Mac or in Windows or something else when you created them. Thanks!

                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, <Anon88888@...> wrote:

                                >  Sorry â€" it took me awhile to track stuff down. Is this where I should be doing my corresponding on this issue, rather than a specific email address?  If there is an email address, what is it? Also, I’m confused â€" a message I received said two files, but I see just one.   Where do I go from here?  What do I do now?  What specific information is needed?  What should I try before updating this further? Continuing thanks,

 â€" Susan --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, johnrethorst@ wrote: We haven't heard again from the OP, and it would be helpful to know where this file came from. IAC I'm grateful for the technical expertise that has offered assistance. Without corporate support any more, our user group can explain how to use a program command or the like; the other kind of support, dealing with file corruption, can be more difficult. But we do it. Thanks to everyone.

                                > John R.
                                >

                                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com , "em315" em315@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > You're right! Live and learn...
                                > >
                                > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com , Robert J Slover <robert.j.slover@> wrote:
                                > > >.
                                > > >
                                > > > I think you ran the base64 utility with all defaults, which *encodes* - which is why you end up with a 7-bit ASCII character sequence. The '-D' option is necessary to decode. Here's what I did, and a hex dump of the start of the resulting binary file:

                              • J.J. McVeigh
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                                  At 05:57 -0700 12.09.2013, <Anon88888@...> wrote:

                                  >Ok, I'll get the hang of this yetŠ
                                  >
                                  >Mac, & Mac WordPerfect (looks like 3.5e).
                                  >
                                  >This is a sample. I have lots of ancient
                                  >garbled WordPerfect documents that were created
                                  >on a Mac, with Mac WordPerfect. I'm not sure
                                  >when they garbled.
                                  >
                                  >Continuing thanks,
                                  >
                                  >- Susan

                                  If the "this" is a file that you attached to your
                                  message, it did not come through at this end. I
                                  believe that the listserve is configured to strip
                                  off attachments, to prevent the spread of malware.

                                  I think what you would need to do is to upload a
                                  sample file to the Files page associated with
                                  this group, and then tell everyone that you have
                                  done so. Please see the link to the Files page
                                  among the links that appear in the message
                                  trailer, below.

                                  --
                                  John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                                  Butler, Maryland 21023-0128
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 12, 2013
                                    As configured, only moderators can upload files. The OP could send a file as an attachment to one of us. But she has done that, and several knowledgeable people were unable to recognize it as an originally well-formed file. I think we need to ask about the history of these files -- how they came to be garbled.