Re: [wpmac] conversions

  • Paul Cowan
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
      On 19 August 2013 at 5:26 PM, Geoff Gilbert <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
      Original WPMac file - 125kb
      Resulting Word File - 237kb
      That's a lot of middle-aged spread
      Thanks for checking. Inflation factor used to be way bigger 'n that. As in, a megabyte or two…

      cheers,

      P. (^_^)

    • Paul Cowan
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
        (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)

        I know, but it's a question of elegance. It used to be that opening a WordPerfect file in OpenOffice, translating it, then opening the resulting file in WordPerfect, produced a much more idiomatic (and smaller) WordPerfect file than if you'd used the built-in converters. Maybe it's so to this day… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

        cheers,

        P. (^_^)

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
          I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
          sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
          No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
          either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
          coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.
          --
          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law

          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
          essex.ac.uk)

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
            When a WP file is converted to Word, by any method, each paragraph of the file gets formatted separately, with a lot of formatting data necessarily added to the file. There are perfectly good technical reasons for this, and it has nothing to do with Word being better or worse; only that it uses a different underlying model.

            But we can agree that the size difference has absolutely no practical significance.

            > I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
            > sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
            > No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
            > either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
            > coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.
            > --
            > Geoff Gilbert
            > Professor of Law
            > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
            > Head of the School of Law
            > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
            > University of Essex
            > Wivenhoe Park
            > Colchester
            > CO4 3SQ
            >
            > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
            > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
            > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
            > essex.ac.uk)
            >

            > > em315 <mailto:em315@...>
            > > 20 August 2013 01:48
            > > What happens when you open it in Word 5.x or whatever in SheepShaver
            > > and then open again in Word in OS X? (And does the file size make any
            > > practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one
            > > is sending these files on floppies.)

            > > .
            > >
            > > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
            > > 19 August 2013 19:02
            > > Original WPMac file - 125kb
            > > Resulting Word File - 237kb
            > > That's a lot of middle-aged spread

          • Gilbert, Geoff
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
              Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
              Geoff

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                You can search the web for very clear explanations, including one in
                this long-ago article from PC Magazine
                <http://books.google.com/books?id=yXP6iwM_W-kC&pg=PT98&dq=%22twice+about\
                +your+choice+of+a+word+processor%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4WsTUvChOMTQyAGjmIHgBQ\
                &ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22twice%20about%20your%20choice%20of%20a%2\
                0word%20processor%22&f=false> . The details are on pp. 98-99.
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoff" wrote:

                > Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the
                fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always
                found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
                > Geoff

              • John Kaufmann
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
                  In a message dated 2013-0819 22:18 -0500, Paul Cowan wrote:

                  >> (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)
                  >
                  > ... it's a question of elegance. ..… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

                  Good that you care. Inelegance has functional costs, and the costs compound with
                  time and generations.