Re: [wpmac] conversions

  • Paul Cowan
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
      On 19 August 2013 at 5:26 PM, Geoff Gilbert <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
      Original WPMac file - 125kb
      Resulting Word File - 237kb
      That's a lot of middle-aged spread
      Thanks for checking. Inflation factor used to be way bigger 'n that. As in, a megabyte or two…

      cheers,

      P. (^_^)

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
        What happens when you open it in Word 5.x or whatever in SheepShaver and then open again in Word in OS X? (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)

        > Original WPMac file - 125kb
        > Resulting Word File - 237kb
        > That's a lot of middle-aged spread
        > --
        > Geoff Gilbert
        > Professor of Law
        > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
        > Head of the School of Law
        > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        > University of Essex
        > Wivenhoe Park
        > Colchester
        > CO4 3SQ
        >
        > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
        > essex.ac.uk)
        >

        > > Paul Cowan <mailto:officewallah@...>
        > > 19 August 2013 14:53
        > > On 17 August 2013 at 10:45 AM, Geoff Gilbert
        > > <geoff@...="mailto:geoff@...">> wrote:
        > >
        > > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
        > >
        > > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
        > >
        > > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
        > >
        > > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
        > >
        > > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
        > >
        > > convert from WPWin X5 to Word.
        > >

        > > Be interesting to know what the file sizes were. I remember that Word
        > > files saved with the WP converter were a bit on the huge size...
        > >

        > > P. (^_^)

        > > .
        > >
        > > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
        > > 17 August 2013 15:44
        > > OK, so I took a WP Mac file from 2010, 16000 words, about 100 footnotes,
        > > and indented quotes all over the place, and converted it via the 5
        > > August WPLO Converter to a .doc file. I opened that in Word 2011 for the
        > > Mac. Formatting and fonts were perfectly preserved; the footnotes came
        > > across, but the cross-referencing was lost, but that happens when you
        > > convert from WPWin X5 to Word. (If you Save As ... Word 6, 7, 8 in
        > > WPMac, the formatting is wrecked).
        > > Verdict: for those using WPMac but who are forced by publishers to
        > > submit in Word, then WPWin under Parallels offers no advantages and load
        > > up time is just a delay you can live without. Clearly, if you have WPWin
        > > files, there is an immense advantage to retaining WPWin via Parallels,
        > > but otherwiseWPMac seems to offer everything you might ever need as an
        > > academic (although, trying to find a font in ShSh Classic that does
        > > eastern european diacritical letters is less straightforward than under
        > > OSX, so now to explore the latest thread on using OSX fonts).
        > > Geoff

      • Paul Cowan
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
          (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)

          I know, but it's a question of elegance. It used to be that opening a WordPerfect file in OpenOffice, translating it, then opening the resulting file in WordPerfect, produced a much more idiomatic (and smaller) WordPerfect file than if you'd used the built-in converters. Maybe it's so to this day… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

          cheers,

          P. (^_^)

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
            I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
            sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
            No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
            either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
            coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.
            --
            Geoff Gilbert
            Professor of Law

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
              When a WP file is converted to Word, by any method, each paragraph of the file gets formatted separately, with a lot of formatting data necessarily added to the file. There are perfectly good technical reasons for this, and it has nothing to do with Word being better or worse; only that it uses a different underlying model.

              But we can agree that the size difference has absolutely no practical significance.

              > I only have Word in OSX, but even when I was using both in OS9 before X
              > sullied my computer, Word files were always larger.
              > No consequence whatsoever from the size gain, but it is indicative that
              > either the Word file has a lot more meta information hidden away or
              > coders are getting less efficient because space is no longer an issue.
              > --
              > Geoff Gilbert
              > Professor of Law
              > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
              > Head of the School of Law
              > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
              > University of Essex
              > Wivenhoe Park
              > Colchester
              > CO4 3SQ
              >
              > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
              > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
              > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
              > essex.ac.uk)
              >

              > > em315 <mailto:em315@...>
              > > 20 August 2013 01:48
              > > What happens when you open it in Word 5.x or whatever in SheepShaver
              > > and then open again in Word in OS X? (And does the file size make any
              > > practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one
              > > is sending these files on floppies.)

              > > .
              > >
              > > Geoff Gilbert <mailto:Geoff@...>
              > > 19 August 2013 19:02
              > > Original WPMac file - 125kb
              > > Resulting Word File - 237kb
              > > That's a lot of middle-aged spread

            • Gilbert, Geoff
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
                Geoff

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                  You can search the web for very clear explanations, including one in
                  this long-ago article from PC Magazine
                  <http://books.google.com/books?id=yXP6iwM_W-kC&pg=PT98&dq=%22twice+about\
                  +your+choice+of+a+word+processor%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4WsTUvChOMTQyAGjmIHgBQ\
                  &ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22twice%20about%20your%20choice%20of%20a%2\
                  0word%20processor%22&f=false> . The details are on pp. 98-99.
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoff" wrote:

                  > Does word format by paragraph while WP formats by character? It is the
                  fact I learned all my formatting in WP and that has meant I have always
                  found it hard to fix Word files when they go out of kilter
                  > Geoff

                • John Kaufmann
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
                    In a message dated 2013-0819 22:18 -0500, Paul Cowan wrote:

                    >> (And does the file size make any practical difference in the era of large hard disks? Presumably no one is sending these files on floppies.)
                    >
                    > ... it's a question of elegance. ..… Probably nobody cares, but hey.

                    Good that you care. Inelegance has functional costs, and the costs compound with
                    time and generations.